If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-07-19 11:56:10
    Has friends besides tanks now

My parents occasionally get near 80 on 65-mph highways, but I don't think I've ever seen them go 72 in a 55. I'm inclined to go 10 above in both instances, but most of the time when I drive on the highway, my parents are there and they don't want me, in particular, going that fast because I'm more likely to be pulled over, even though people generally pass me when I go that fast (or, for that matter, when I'm going as fast as I want). Oh, and the wheel of my car starts shaking once I get to aroud 55 mph and gets worse the faster I'm going. Usually 5-7 above in other areas is pretty comfy.

My dad regards the speed limit as something that should always be traveled at or exceeded under normal conditions, and that anyone who's going below it who isn't lost or physically handicapped is an idiot/asshole/whatever.

That's basically how I see it, too, honestly. Except that I don't have sympathy for people who're lost, either, as someone who's terrible at directions and doesn't feel shame in just taking the next exit and turning around or whatever applies.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm a pretty relaxed driver. I don't really mind when people go slow, really. Given the abiility though...

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I was taught that driving five above the limit is a good rule of thumb.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think it's weird how you Americans go on about how high above the speed limit you should be going

I think part of it is that this country is just really damn big. If you want to get somewhere, you drive fast.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ Pretty much. Except for highways.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^, ^^ What they said.

It doesn't help that speed limits are pointlessly low in urban highways.

• You can change. You can.

i just try to keep at the top speed limit and that's about it

• Having to speed to go with the flow of traffic make some sense to me, but I basically agree with TheConductor that it would be better if everyone just followed the speed limit anyway. Most of the time, I would rather people drive at the speed limit or a little under, especially when they are in a neighborhood or some place else that has plenty of potential hazards. A lot of that thinking is probably based on my experience as a pedestrian being around speeding cars so "making good time" is generally not something I think much about.

• We actually do have a lot of 65-limit highways in New England. We don't have a lot of 70 or above like much of the middle of the country.

Speaking of getting lost/navigation, anyone have any good wacky/terrible/whatever GPS stories? I don't really since we don't have one. My mom never really needs one, my dad absolutely never needs one and really doesn't like them.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Temporarily forgot that my left arm is screwed to hell, did heavy lifting, now it's screaming at me. Success!

murder your left arm

that'll teach the asshole

then you can replace that with a cool robot arm

you know when they release those commercially

• But you never had any to begin with.

but i need it to write with

^^ And then she can become the Winter Soldier!

^ Learn telekinesis. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Dad locked his keys in the garage, so I just had to spend half an hour trying to break into my own house until mom got home and opened it.

That feel

how i know it

• edited 2012-07-19 13:54:56
    a little muffled

@Evergreen:

Speaking of getting lost/navigation, anyone have any good wacky/terrible/whatever GPS stories? I don't really since we don't have one. My mom never really needs one, my dad absolutely never needs one and really doesn't like them.
    Not an especially funny story, but the other day I was in a cab and the GPS kept telling the driver to turn north despite the fact that a) we were already on a direct route with minimal traffic, and b) both the destination and all of the other reasonable routes to take were south of where we were. Fortunately the driver was sane and ignored it. Apparently it was his first time using it.

That was Evergreen, not this mysterious Everest fellow.

Yeah, who's this Everest guy? He sounds like a total asshole.

• a little muffled

You saw nothing.

Also, Everest? Wasn't that Forzare's old name?

Thought it was another name that the former rascal known as INUH used.

• In SIJBM they're all past and future versions of one player, the Mod of Time.
  • When I was going to a bus station by taxi once, the driver, like about half the ones this company sends, had no idea where the place was and was going by his GPS. I trusted it, but it definitely took us on a longer and more expensive route than usual. I couldn't remember the exact road to get to the place, and the GPS put him right in the middle of the parking lot of a huge strip mall. I knew we were nearby but I wasn't quite sure how nearby, and it was saying we had arrived, and I was insisting it was wrong and trying to use his iPad to just look at Google Maps and solve it for myself.

Eventually I just urged him to drive forward to the other side of the lot and sure enough, there it was across the street. I was still way overcharged, but whatever, I could handle it.

I got to talking to a girl in the station who was also from my school, and her local aunt had dropped her off, and they too had initially been dumped in the mall parking lot by their GPS. It seems to believe that the address is genuinely there.

Needless to say, I have now memorized several routes to the station so I can guide any driver just fine.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Unrelated: today I've started a character page for TVT entry on Slavic mythology. I didn't start the main page, as far as I remember, but I did develop it.

Unsurprisingly, today I expected myself to be working on more productive things.

I'm quitting my job, and my only honest regret is that I waited so long to do it.
  • a little muffled

The lifeguard job, right?

Right.
  • Was it mostly the self-confidence thing?

• edited 2012-07-19 19:14:14
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Now that I think about it, it's not even so much that. Honestly, my biggest problem is that I think too much, which keeps me from making any sort of workable decision in a timely fashion. Haven't had to rescue anyone, but I really suck at upholding the pool rules (also due to assertiveness that it turns out I don't have) and I'm tired of havjng to deal with my own incompetence every day. I would have only made another $216 for the next three weeks anyway.

tl;dr: I mostly have counterproductive qualities for the job.
  • Not to poke too much into your personal life, but wouldn't those same counterproductive qualities make working other jobs harder too?