If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-06-20 12:16:59
    Has friends besides tanks now

Well, I guess I'm down to 140 lbs.

^^ I remember wanting to get into that one. Also, there was apparently one in the works about some dudes on a swim team who sort of looked like gender flips of Houkago Tea Time. I feel like I'm obligated to watch that one.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I remember wanting to get into that one.

Why didn't you?/judging you

• edited 2012-06-20 12:23:27
    Has friends besides tanks now

Other stuff to do. There still is other stuff to do. Well, since I want to split between video games, reading, RPG preparation, and anime. I've been leaning much more towards the first two, since the anime I'm on is NGE, and I've finished episode 9 (so far it's really boring, not gonna lie), and the RPG thing involves a 4e level 30 character battle, 8 v. 8.

And I guess my mom's chewing out my eye doctor worked, because I have another appointment today in about half an hour. :D

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> swim team anime

Umesho?

• Do you mean Kenkou Zenrakei Suiebu Umishou?  In any case, that's not recent at all, and is primarily about girls (and is a fanservicefest).  Though it does feature Aki Toyosaki as the main character, and I think it was her first role (or at least first major role), so... that means something maybe?

Still, it's unlikely to be what Everest was talking about.  Unless you mean something else.

• Has friends besides tanks now

It's not. I don't know how to find the picture from the other one, but it's not this Umisho one.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    If working at the Goodspeed Opera House for a year and a half has taught me anything, it's that old people are weird and that I can never tell when they're fuckin with me.
  • Has friends besides tanks now

Contacts are in! It took like ten minutes to get both of them in this time, and I was able to drive home with them. It's just a little blurry so far, but manageable. And now I can say that those pictures where I don't have glasses on aren't completely dishonest portrayals of my appearance. But I'm still not putting pictures up yet, since my hair is in a shitty phase at the moment.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Contacts, blagh, never been my thing.

• edited 2012-06-20 14:15:40

^^^But hey, you're working at the Goodspeed, so that's something!

...wait a minute, my grandmother and her friend Bob go there sometimes. 

Grandma and Bob aren't the "mess with young'uns' heads" sort of old people, though. She can just be a bit oblivious sometimes.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh, I get plenty of oblivious old people, too. You point them to their seats and they end up sitting in someone else's spot halfway across the theater.

I'm talking about the ones who give you weird accusatory looks, or make random nonsequiturs, or ask dumb questions.

Like once I was accused of being on drugs by an old man after I misread my wristwatch, and today I got asked if the show was going to be live.
  • Champion of the Whales

Alex, well tbh you do have ill informed opinions when it comes to fighting in wars. There are reasons why no one does a Jack Churchill in wars anymore. However, you can't seem to accept any opinion that doesn't conform to what you think so I think you're calling the kettle black there mate.

No, I am not defending Martello. I just happen to trust his opinion on such matters over yours.

• edited 2012-06-20 16:02:21
    You can change. You can.

That seems hardly relevant.

ETA: Also, I see over there, people are somehow equating Martello's attitude problems and Alex and me calling him on it the equivalent of a swords vs guns debate.

that's so stupidly laughable

• edited 2012-06-20 16:01:49
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

This isn't about that. Given, it was a poor first impression for both of us, but Martello displayed poor conduct in that debate and in many other scenarios afterwards. Saying that Exi and I were "circlejerking" and then using the deaths of fellow soldiers as a point of justification for this attitude was dumb and uncalled for, especially when there was no argument that swords were better than guns or anything -- they're for different purposes. And in context of the thread (where I had suggested the character in question should also have a gun very early on), it was certainly justified to say that a sword would have application a gun wouldn't. 

Like I said, though, that's not the main issue. Martello dealt with the paedophile thing on TVT in all the wrong ways. It's a problem that needed to be solved and still needs solving, but shaming teenagers deeper into their sick echo chambers isn't the way to do it. If you want them gone, report them. For all his failings, Eddie has banned admitted paedophiles, so there should be no problems there. If you want to solve the problem, then you need to suggest that they get psychological help. That Martello called himself stuff like "the hammer of pedos" while contributing to a counter-intuitive "solution" to the problem, then admitted that he wasn't interested in solving the underlying problem, proved to me that he was doing what he did for his own fun and games rather than actual compassion for potential victims of child rape. 

Must I describe how disgusting it is to use something like paedophilia as a front to excuse the bullying of a bunch of kids who need help? And from a captain of the US infantry at that. He's also said a lot of other things that annoy me (like only modern military combatives, krav maga and mixed martial arts being the "real thing", which is as bullheaded and stereotypical as one can get), but those are just icing on the cake. The core issue is that on top of poor conduct in general, he insincerely attacks paedophilia with an attitude liable to cause more problems as a means of self-gratification. 

• Champion of the Whales

Alex,

What if the paedophiles on TVT don't want help or can't accept their "kink" is morally wrong?

Then what? Are supposed to be nice to them?

• edited 2012-06-20 16:09:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> a captain of the US infantry at that

lolol you said "infant"

I don't think this is really relevant, to be honest; we've seen other people in the U.S. armed forces on TVT and BTL and they don't act like him.

^ Can just ban them from the site.  If they're not willing to acknowledge that pedophilia is wrong and they need help (or, in some cases, admit that they're not actually pedophiles but only waving the label around for the attention), then not much you can do about them over the internet.

• You can change. You can.

Yeah, again, Tuefel's a marine (I think?) and he's a pretty swell guy to talk to. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

Like Alex said in his post, you suggest they get help and then ban them if they keep bringing it up. 

• edited 2012-06-20 16:13:05
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

If someone has a mental problem, (whether it be depression or a phobia or pedophilia or whatever), attacking them is about the least productive thing you can do.  All it does is make them more defensive, and they cling to the problem harder than ever.  Or they just start hiding it.

You can't always help anonymous strangers on the internet, but you can try not to make the problem worse.  If encouraging them to get help or see reason doesn't work then ban them, but attacks aren't the answer.

And as much as I dislike Martello, my feelings on him don't reflect my feelings on the army in general.  There's people I don't like in all walks of life.

• edited 2012-06-20 16:15:00
    I don't think this is really relevant, to be honest; we've seen other people in the U.S. armed forces on TVT and BTL and they don't act like him

Right, but they don't mention it so often, don't allow it to inform their conduct to such a degree and, as far as I know, aren't in positions of leadership as significant as captain. 

Alex,

What if the paedophiles on TVT don't want help or can't accept their "kink" is morally wrong?

Then what? Are supposed to be nice to them?

I'm not sure, but I'm do know that an aggressive approach is likely to make them retreat in their own subculture, without any dissenting opinions to keep them chained to reality. If they do that, then you can't keep them in check anymore and it's that much easier for an actual child to be molested or raped. We don't need to "coddle" them, but we need to be aware of how an aggressive approach works contrary to our goals. 

Tuefel's a great guy; one of my closest friends is ex-SAS; both of my grandfathers were frontline vets of WWII; another friend of mine underwent officer training for the Australian infantry. I have nothing against military personnel as a general thing, but I'm not comfortable with certain kinds of people holding certain amounts of military authority. 

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-06-20 16:20:51
    Here, There, Everywhere

Moving to a different aspect of your parting post... Alex, while I respect you greatly as a person and, generally, as a poster, saying that Martello somehow waves around his status as a military officer and holds it over people's heads when discussing non-military subjects is a completely unfounded and frankly ridiculous statement to make. (Note that whether or not I agree or disagree with you statements on other matters as addressed is immaterial here, as I am disputing just that thing that you said.)

• You can change. You can.

holds it over people's heads when discussing non-military subjects is a completely unfounded and frankly ridiculous statement to make

Really? You haven't seen it all?

• edited 2012-06-20 16:25:28

^^ Then I should apologise for being unclear, because I never meant to communicate that. He has, however, said that his military experience has informed his general attitude on BTL and TVT. So while he's not using it as a point of authority, he's using it as an excuse to behave socially aggressive. I specifically remember him calling non military types "sensitive", as though a "military attitude" (insofar as such a thing can be considered singular)  was an acceptable social default rather than a context-sensitive subculture in and of itself. 

It's not like he's said "I'm a military captain, so you shouldn't eat beans", but he's used his station as a means to wave off criticisims of his attitude and his approach to the wider TVT/SA/paedophilia issue. 

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-06-20 16:30:35
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^ You mean outside of that idiotic sword/gun rigamarole, in which there was much unnecessary "I know more than you, stupid-head!" posturing? While I honestly do not enjoy much of the man's behaviour anymore than many of you do, I hesitate to accuse him of that particular offence.

^ I can understand what you're saying there.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So I walk in and see I missed some drama on TVT/BTL/SA intersection. Anyone could tell me what was happening, what was it about, and when did it start?

• I'm a damn twisted person

Folks, it's all going to be over in a few days from what I can tell. Just let it go and move on to stuff you have to do or stuff you enjoy. 

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-06-20 16:32:02
    Here, There, Everywhere

We'll be on a different site, with a different administrator among other things. Much will be different.

That said, let's move along...

• edited 2012-06-20 16:32:53
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

^^^ who the fuck even knows

we were talking about them, and alex made a post over there criticizing martello and left, and we talked about them some more, and then they noticed and started sniping at us or something and it's all just one big clusterfuck of stupid

a perfect storm of dumb internet drama

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

What was the point? 

Oh wait. Point. They got into a gun-vs-sword debate, do I understand right what's been posted over last two pages?

• edited 2012-06-20 16:36:02
    Some weirdo

I'm on BTL and even I have no fucking clue what's going on over there.