If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person

Patrick Stewart is their boss. He directs them from base to help them fight evil when they transform into their costumes by polishing their heads. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Warren Ellis would be the sixth ranger who shows up in episode 17.

• You can change. You can.

more like episode 27, amirite

And they fight Alan Moore, for he represents hair, which is evil (and probably communist)

• So Community no longer has Dan Harmon as showrunner, and everyone at TvT is freaking out. What do you think, Juan?

Well, Supernatural went further to shit when Eric Kripke left and Joss Whedon was largely uninvolved with Buffy's worst season.

Yes, I know I'm not Juan...

Yes, I know I'm not Juan...

Liar.

So Community no longer has Dan Harmon as showrunner, and everyone at TvT is freaking out. What do you think, Juan?

I can't tell for sure. In my experience, when it comes to auteur tv (Or as close as TV comes to auteur film), taking off the main creative drive force from the show tends to ruin it. But Community's writing staff has proven to be consistently strong without Harmon having to have a complete influence over the show. Although as the control of the show has been loosened, the quality of the show has been lost (Season 3 is by far, Community at its weakest, specially at its start)

However, as I dunno much about what's going on behind the curtains (I hear something about Chevy Chase and Harmon fighting or something but that's about it) I wouldn't be able to tell ya whether the show will get better for the change (Like The Walking Dead, apparently) or worse, like the examples Malk mentioned. 

time will tell, i suppose, but for what is worth, they have gotten my loyalty by being able to bounce back as well as the show has done post-winter break (Celebrity Impersonators episode be damned)

• edited 2012-05-19 01:44:33
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Liar.

I wasn't trying to out you as a Skrull or anything but fine, be that way.

So, finished Blade Runner once my mum decided to go to sleep instead of complaining about the movies I watch.

You know, I prefer Edward James Olmos quote to Rutger Hauer’s one at the end.

I also still don’t get how exactly does the unicorn thing means that Deckard might or might not be a replicant I mean, we see only two characters doing it and as both of their replicant status are implied and ambiguous, I can’t help but think it simply doesn’t work unless you assume one of them is.

• edited 2012-05-19 01:54:26
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I just finished a book called Vengeance (Book one of the Tainted Realm trilogy). I hated it. hatehatehate

In it, we're introduced to a nation in which everyone sucks. We are first introduced to the Pale, a group of malnourished, run-down slaves who live underground with the Cythonians. The Cythonians are the remnants of the race who used to live aboveground, but were driven underground by the people of Hightspall.

The book focuses on a character called Tali, who is kind of an idiot obsessed with finding the people who killed her mother and killing them. At first, she is a slave, but she plans her escape and finally manages to actually escape (along the way, getting her great-great-great grandmother killed and snapping her cane when the cane was the only way for her to control her gift). Along the way, she saves one of the only characters who is actually a decent, albeit badly-written, character, a child called Rannilt.

Then we are introduced to two people called Rix and Tobey. At first, Rix seems like an alright guy; he is honourable, well-intentioned and tries to be a good person. However, as soon as Tali's slave mark is revealed, Rix yells at her, calling her a traitor for working with the Cythonians, and runs away. (Tobey, on the other hand, is a decent guy, but has a pretty tragic past.)

Then we are introduced to Hightspall society. Here, we meet a woman so conniving that she is willing to lock her own son up in his room until he finishes a portrait because he says something she does not like; we meet a man who has drank himself into a pit and barely knows what he is doing for most of the time; and we meet the Chancellor, who is just an all-round tool.

Here, we find out that apparently, warning the Chancellor, the person in charge of the wartime efforts and one of the only people with any real wartime experience, that your parents are planning to kill him, is tantamount to suicide. It causes your House to be ruined, you can lose your titles, everyone from then on treats you with disdain, and so on, simply because you do not wish to see the Chancellor die and your country to fall to ruin.

By the end, Tali still has not mastered her gift of magery, but has killed several times and is going to be bled for all she is worth because Pale blood can heal someone of being a Shifter, and Rannilt is going to be bled along with her. Tobey has been turned into a shifter, a horribly traumatic experience and all the more so because it is revealed that his grandfather turned into a shifter and killed all of his family, causing Tobey to have to slay him- and that apparently implies not honouring his grandfather enough, because his House has fallen into ruin and everyone hates him. And if that wasn't enough, at the end of the body Tobey was thrown off the side of a castle a hundred feet high. Rix has become suicidal because of the dishonour he has shown his family, is ready to charge off against the Cythonian army on his own, and has failed to save everyone. And the world is on the brink of a war nobody can win, the world is dying around them, the wrythen who was the main enemy for the entirety of the book is now alive and more powerful than ever, all the heroes of the past have been shown to be terrible people so there are no actual heroes in the story, and overall the tone is bleak and hopeless and the entire book has been an exercise in grimderp.

• No rainbow star
    Alex, how dangerous is this product?

>snapping her cane when the cane was the only way for her to control her gift

God I fucking hate when genre fiction does this.

HERE I'M GOING TO ESTABLISH A POWER YOU HAVE. NOW YOU CAN'T HAVE IT UNTIL THE THIRD ACT.

It can be done well (Thor) but by and large it just makes it feel like they couldn't find a proper challenge for the character.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

except she doesn't get it by the third act

It's not actually established whether the cane would have helped her control her gift, or whether her grandmother was just a spiteful old bint. Either way, though, it's more than a bit annoying.

• edited 2012-05-19 02:40:40
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Okay yeah. But my point remains, I think.

I'm really tired of needlessly dark fantasy fiction. Even the kids stuff is needlessly morose.

Also I've got three writing projects open at once. Is this a good thing?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The worst thing is, given the challenges they set up for her (A mage with control over three ebony pearls, and an ages-old wrythen with control over another pearl) they could have given her a challenge even with mastery over her magery. But no, because how else could you show how clearly fucked they are if their one mage gets turned into a shifter and presumably killed, and their other mage can't use her gift pretty much at all, and their magic sword is in the hands of someone determined to commit suicide in war.

• edited 2012-05-19 06:41:37

Oh yes. I now have The Finder Library: Volume 2. With a foreword by Warren Ellis.

There is so much more fucking in this volume, but Carla Speed McNeil still spins out spellbinding amazing stories of pure glory. And Marcie Grosvenor doing well for herself! Good to see.

Nova, that book sounds terrible.

• I'm going to finish Fables Vol. 6, and if it hasn't picked up by then, I'm done.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    And of course I get a headache on the day of the concert.
  • Posterpasting run went well, although that glue seriously fucks up your skin. Herpderp fuck da police and all that jazz.

• edited 2012-05-19 09:48:16
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Ask your manager/producer to fill in for you.

ami_trollface.png

[/idolmaster]

• http://www.mangahere.com/manga/nice_guy_syndrome/

I am severely disappointed at the actual content of the manga: I hoped the title was some sort of riffing on the milquetoast harem protagonist.

• edited 2012-05-19 11:33:14
    Kichigai birthday!!

Why is shoujo always so badly drawn? I can't think of a single shoujo series with good art (admittely I can't think of many shoujo series)

• edited 2012-05-19 11:33:12

Technically, it's manhwa, not manga, but that's ridiculously pedantic, so...

^ It's not.  But manga/manwha/etc. in general is often very badly drawn.

• edited 2012-05-19 11:35:34

I can't think of a single shoujo series with good art (admittely I can't think of many shoujo series)

Cardcaptor Sakura/other CLAMP series?  Other than everyone being made of noodles, that is, but Cardcaptor Sakura avoids that for the most part largely by being about children.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    So I watched the first three episodes of Avatar. I think I'm sold. I'ma keep watching.

zuko's voice bugs me for some reason though
  • They're somethin' else.

Yeah, he's got something of a Mike Tyson lisp.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    "Why is shoujo always so badly drawn? I can't think of a single shoujo series with good art"

Revolutionary Girl Utena?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Does Magic Knight Rayearth count as shoujo?

Generally speaking most of the shoujo stuff I've seen does have good art. It's just not what people into Shonen and superheroes tend to like or recognize as good art.

In any case, there's a convenience store opening in my 'town' and I'm trying to get work. Some stuff sounds pretty sketch but it's the first job opportunity in a couple of months so...

Oh and also the store that fired me accusing me of stealing is hiring again but AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• edited 2012-05-19 16:10:54
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >Generally speaking most of the shoujo stuff I've seen does have good art. It's just not what people into Shonen and superheroes tend to like or recognize as good art.

I think it relates to the mere exposure effect, which makes stuff you look at a lot look better to you. So fans of Shonen will likely dislike Shoujo art in comparison, and vice versa.