If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• You can change. You can.

If not taking itself seriously is all that it takes for something to be like Star Wars then...welp

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>No, really. Compare the tones of each production and how willing they are to engage in their own silliness. 

Dude, the prequels are super serial. DMC drowns in camp.

That said, there are elements of world building similar to Star Wars, yeah. Particularly in the third game.

Plus incestuous romance.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

If not taking itself seriously is all that it takes for something to be like Star Wars then...welp

Different angle. It's an excess of seriousness that ensures that the EU diverges. In part, this is where KotOR and Jedi Knight succeed, because they don't mind poking fun at themselves and at Star Wars at large. Especially the latter. 

i don't know nothin' bout no pattern

as far as I know, there's just the Sith Empire, which eventually crumbles and falls allowing the Republic to rise, then Palpatine takes back over and creates the Empire again because lolsith lolultimatepower

As far as we knew during the OT, we were seeing the first Empire. There was no concept of "Sith" as a continuous faction, and Darth Vader was just taken as a Jedi who had gone wrong. The Emperor wasn't explored at all until the second film, but even then he had a tiny part. It was the third film that revealed him to be something more.

That's what I mean by "pattern", except it's retroactive in this case. It worked for the OT, so the EU writers impose it on the lore at large. It's a big problem with a lot of EU stuff from a lot of different franchises, but it doesn't mean it's any better here. 

DMC drowns in camp.

Exactly like the OT.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That's what I mean by "pattern", except it's retroactive in this case. It worked for the OT, so the EU writers impose it on the lore at large. It's a big problem with a lot of EU stuff from a lot of different franchises, but it doesn't mean it's any better here. 

twice does not a pattern make, though

unless it happens again after, it only happens twice, which is not enough time for a pattern to emerge

Well, we had the Sith Empire rise twice over the course of the two KotOR games, again in TOR and as far as my understanding goes, it goes back and forth until the prequels. Then the OT happens, which destroys the Empire. But then there's the Imperial Remnant, and EU authors find more reasons to insert dark Jedi into the plots. Also, the Emperor gets resurrected, and I think more than once. 

We're probably looking at a dozen instances of the same Sith Empire rising and falling over the history of the setting, which is just silly. It doesn't even make sense, since it implies the Sith are continuously organised enough to continue establishing Empires, which pretty much goes entirely against their characterisation and that eventual "rule of two" stuff. Or whatever. In any case, the whole thing is borked by repetition. 

• edited 2012-05-17 00:09:54
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    the Sith Empire rise twice over the course of the two KotOR games

I don't remember it ever being called an empire in KOTOR. The Jedi Civil War was basically just a couple Sith Lords trying to seize power. And power is what the sith are all about.

During KOTOR, the actual sith Empire is still off on Dromund Kaas. They're out of sight until TOR. They lasted a thousand years because they had the same emperor the entire time, who's ridiculously powerful because he ate a planet.
    imperial remnant
    Aren't Sith, so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to function like normal people. There were really only two actual empires that were formed by sith.

I'm going to bed now though so blah
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

the same Sith Empire

i think that is what is confusing me

You claim it is the same Sith Empire, but as far as I can see, every time, it's a different Empire; just with the same basic concept- Sith at the top, with a powerful Empire dude at the very top, bearing the flags of previous Empires.

And then they incorporate the teachings of previous Sith, because bam those teachings actually worked and they can see how they'd be more powerful because of it.

As to why? the force does it

• edited 2012-05-17 00:05:56
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Exactly like the OT.

ESB is pretty serial too and the OT doesn't go anywhere near the levels of camp DMC has, unless I missed the part where Obi-wan stops mid boss fight to admire his reflection.

I'm pretty sure Han does like a dozen things like that. 

The closest I can think of is the 'How are you' thing but even then...

disclaimer for the mods who aren't alex and forzare: this was a legitimate discussion, please don't ban me for making alex do the alex thing and malk do the malk thing

>Pretending probability of Alexing and Malking is not directly proportional to Alex and Malk's abstract distance to each other on the forum.

yeah

but this is star wars alexing and malking

which is ten times worse than regular Alexing and Malking

Ten times worse?

Or ten times better?

I'm not even sure any more

all i know is

it wasn't a fifty-page debate on why it breaks the lore to have Sith using lightsaber colours that aren't red

so i'm cool with it

i'm just hoping the mods are, too

definetly worse

there are a lot of things that are better than witnessing alexing and malking about star wars

castration comes to mind.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Okay new nerdery derail but Jesus Christ Matt Fraction, how do you write something as bad as Fear Itself, but keep Iron Man consistently good once I actually keep up on it again? How? I mean once it has gotten going it's pretty good.

Fear Itself is an editorial mandate book. Doesn't explain everything but still.

See you convinced me to pick up Iron Man again. What will it take for me to convince you Journey Into Mystery, New Mutants, X-Men Legacy and Avengers Academy are also worth following?

One thing that bugs me about the current arc In Iron Man. How did they put a bomb in the Living Laser. The guy is made out of lasers, not flesh and squishy bits. 

I'm perfectly willing to believe they're worth following but cash is kinda tight. I will check them out somehow though.

What I do remember reading of X-men Legacy (which was few years back, granted) was pretty bad.

i thought X-men Legacy was the one written by Grant Morrison (AKA: Malk's crush)

• edited 2012-05-17 01:36:28
    I'm a damn twisted person

Juan - it was, but it wasn't called Legacy back then. Because... Comics Everybody!

between Morrison's run on it and Carey taking over it was crap as they had no idea what to do with it. Afterwards it basically became Rogue's book (or Xavier's) and it was fun. Consistent and good character focus stories, even if Carey was phoning it in sometimes so he could focus on his Vertigo stuff. 

Right now it(and Avengers Academy) are being written by Christos Gage, the same guy who does Angel and Faith. And the guy is good at handling team books and character focus and dialog are his strong suits over plot. But his plots are ok, so the character bits and talky bits get to shine. 

>Afterwards it basically became Rogue's book

Oh...

Um...

I don't like Rogue...

what

seriously

what

malk no! i thought we were rekindling an old friendship's fire but now...now you just burned the bridge! D:

I just... find her conflict to be rather static and dull, to say nothing of her romance with Gambit.

sorry malk

i have to disavow you now

Well good news! A lot of her old conflicts are solved (can't touch people, can't control her powers, memories bouncing around in her head from other people) and her conflict is now "What do I do now that I have shit under control but still have the old insecurity demons kicking around in my head?" The answer is for her to be a pretty kickass teacher who has really matured into her role as a proper X-Men since she was that desperate girl seeking refuge. And the romance with Gambit isn't really played up at all beyond "it's complicated"

Gambit needs to break up with her and star in some BL comics to get more girls into American comics.

wait

what

They are basically broken up. Have been since like Messiah Complex. Right now Rogue is in a long distance relationship with a certain Master of Magnetism. And Legacy has other good characters going for it right now. Like Rachel Gray, Gambit and Frenzy and Mimic. And whatever other X-men or X-students they want to rope into the current story.