If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    JUAN JUST CALM DOWN
  • You can change. You can.

Basically, IJBM's timestamps are fucked up, so now it looks like we're both in the present and in the past, causing a most amusing effect akin to being Doctor Manhattan, except you don't get to see the future.

i guess all we must do is assemble the Seven Soldiers of Victory

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    NOW YOU TOO CAN SEE THE FUTUUUUUUURE
  • Mentioned this in another thread, but I have been suspended from TV Tropes, possibly banned. (Long story short, I tried to defend KiTA after his ban for "pedophilia.") I'd like to ask someone to post my ban in Absent People, if possible.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

At a fundamental level a game is nothing but a challenge.

I have to disagree with this on the basis that it doesn't cover the essence of a game. A game might include a challenge, but climbing a sheer wall is also a challenge. If a game is fundamentally a challenge, and climbing a sheer rock wall is fundamentally a challenge, then a game is climbing a sheer rock wall. There might be games that include climbing a sheer rock wall, but the act of climbing that is not, in and of itself, a game. 

Take the following statement:

A game is something you play.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, right? It's a truthful, valid statement, but it's still missing a few things. For instance, you also play with toys. A ball, action figure or what-have-you is not in and of itself a game, so clearly the above statement doesn't clearly define what a game is. Let's have a look at what other elements we can add to the definition by quickly observing a few different games from different mediums. 

• Chess is a facsimile of a medieval battle between black and white abstract sides. Each player takes turns moving a single piece, and each piece can only move in particular ways. The objective for each player is to force their opponent's king piece into "checkmate", a state in which the king cannot move without being taken, or where another allied piece cannot protect it in some way. 

• Playground tag is a game where one person is 'it', and they must move to another player and touch them. When a player it touched by 'it', then the title of 'it' moves to the touched player and the previous 'it' must also evade the new one. The object of the game is to avoid being 'it' as much as possible. 

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a fantasy game where a player uses a controller and console to interact with the fictional world of Hyrule. They use a series of weapons, tools and consumable items to win battles and solve puzzles. The player's objective is to save Hyrule from an evil sorcerer, but they are set back to their last save point if all their 'hearts' (an abstraction that measures how healthy and/or wounded the player avatar is) are removed by taking damage. 

Now we have three different games in three different mediums, and we can look for common factors:

• All of these games are abstractions. Chess and Ocarina represent some element of reality, while playground tag is a complete abstraction for the sake of a gaming experience. 

• All of these games have two opposing sides (although some games have more). In chess, it's a battle between armies; in Ocarina, it's the hero against the forces of the evil sorcerer; in playground tag, it's 'it' against everyone else. So we might say that competition is a common element of games. 

• Chess and Ocarina have designated beginnings and endings. This is a common element in games, but playground tag doesn't actually contain an ending within its own rules (barring alterations). While the game begins with a sort of mutual social contract between a group of children, it doesn't end until that is once again mutually broken. 

• All these games have objectives to be strived towards

So our definition of a game might become:

A game is an abstract play activity with competitive, objective-based elements between two or more opposing sides, with a designated beginning that separates it from regular activity. 

But even then, what about a game like Minecraft? It has "sides" (the player against the game's natural world), and certainly abstraction, but much like tag it has no designated ending. It doesn't contain an objective, either. If Minecraft is a game, then the definition I wrote above is clearly faulty in some respects. At least we can tell now, via exception, that not all games require inherent objectives. I would argue, on the other hand, that games require the ability for players to set objectives. So while a game might not have its own objectives, it should provide a competitive element that suggests them. 

You might have noted something else faulty about my definition up there. 

A game is an abstract play activity with competitive, objective-based elements between two or more opposing sides, with a designated beginning that separates it from regular activity.

So a game is objective-based and has a designated beginning, but no designated end? That's a contradiction. Ergo, we have to cut down the definition.

A game is an abstract play activity with competitive elements between two or more opposing sides.

Does this definition work? Sure, on a technical level. But it's missing something, perhaps a few somethings. But this illustrates how difficult it is to define games, which after all are not physical products but abstract systems of play and interaction -- among other things. But ultimately, Zelda isn't any different from chess or playground tag in terms of the core product you're being exposed to, which is an abstract system of play that tests you against opposition. A system is incomplete without a user, because without a user, it does not reach its conclusion. 

• edited 2012-04-19 00:23:12
    You can change. You can.

^It'll be done.

• edited 2012-04-19 00:29:43
    You can change. You can.

I'd argue against the "opposing sides" bit, really. unless you consider a deck in solitaire an opponent, I guess.

• Thank you, Juan.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Alex all you need to do to fix this is admit I'm right about Star Wars, video games, and fantasy fiction. It's up to you!

Solitaire has opposing sides, even though it's played by one person with no AI to stand in for other people. Your opponent in a game of solitaire is the deck of cards and its randomisation, where the objective is to mitigate the randomisation by cleverly manipulating the cards in play via a logical system of numerical progression. 

So it's essentially a game of chaos against order.

• edited 2012-04-19 00:46:17
    You can change. You can.

^No, don't! You'll upset the balance of Alexness and Malkness! If you do everything'll burn!

• Champion of the Whales

IJBM: People thinking possession in football is the be all and end all of it

Never! I am a landsknecht, like some presumed ancestor before me!

• edited 2012-04-19 01:02:40
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

IT'S ENDING!

FUCK CAUSALITY YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

V NO YOU FOOL, YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU WROUGHT!

• edited 2012-04-19 01:02:54
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I would totally play football if the ball was possessed, what are you talking about?

EDIT: fuck you future me.

Was a good ride, and I didn't even have to fuck a timestream gap. 

• Champion of the Whales

Chelsea beat Barca 1-0 in the first leg of the UCL semi final but the intertubes is full of whining Barca fanboys upset that they had about 70% of the ball compared with Chelsea's 30% and got beat.

We still getting weird stuff here and there

• The important thing is that it didn't end whilst we were still goofing around and thus make some people look foolish when they were referencing something no longer happening.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

Between Feo's "Don't Panic" and Don Zabu's "Morrowind" thread and the fact that some people still talk about it, I have to wonder:

Why do people still care about TV Tropes? I'd have thought that most people, at least here, would have realized that there is no point in seriously discussing it. But still some people attempt to do this (instead of just snarking about it and making cheap potshots). I mean, there is absolutely no hope for it.

And as recent events show, even when they attempt to fix (real) problems, they screw it up (like beating the to-hit roll, but rolling for 0 damage).

Personally, I hang around TVT because there are some people there I still like to talk to. Apart from that, I could take it or leave it. Harmless fun and distraction, and I can't take it seriously for very long at all. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I agree with Alex's last sentence.

• ^^^ That was just an old annoyance of mine. TV Tropes is just one manifestation of it.

Personally, I hang around TVT because there are some people there I still like to talk to. Apart from that, I could take it or leave it. Harmless fun and distraction, and I can't take it seriously for very long at all.

Pretty much my line of reasoning. Granted, I used to try and fight for change more, but I guess it's simply because it was entertaining. 

Honestly, the thing that bothers me is that there's much potential in the idea of TvT, but it's wasted by people who really really need to talk about the stuff they like instead of actually caring about media.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

Hanging around there is what I do too, but that doesn't explain why people are seriously discussing it, as if there is an hope of improvement.

I wouldn't say that Feotakahari and KITA qualify as your typical IJBMer. With that said, I think most of us share your cynicism regarding TvT except GMH. And with that said, I don't mind expressing what I think would be a good solution, even if I'd never see it implemented in the first place.

• edited 2012-04-19 02:45:46

• edited 2012-04-19 02:17:48
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^^ Trufax. 

It's been impossible thus far to get a discussion on, say, video games as a collective concept, industry and artform going. People only want to talk about specific games, and I've even been blocked in my efforts by a certain someone claiming that I (and the handful of others like me) are overthinking it. 

The new media forum is a better place for this, granted, but most people only check the threads when a new video from their favourite online shows pops up, so the topics covered by the likes of Extra Credits and moviebob don't get much discussion beyond agreement or disagreement. 

People will post all their video game ideas in the relevant threads, but aren't willing to discuss or learn why their concepts may or may not work, or how they might be altered to be better games. 

One thread that sticks in my mind was the "Is the video game industry running out of ideas?" thread, which was full of stupid on both sides. One side was claiming that existing developers are just bad (hint: they're not, they just have to work under the awful conditions and limitations publishers impose on them) with the other claiming games they personally liked were evidence of actual creativity without support. A few legitimately creative games were mentioned, but again, the choices weren't supported by discussion, leaving them little better than shitposts. 

Wow, I guess I got worked up about that more than I ought to have. 

• edited 2012-04-19 02:55:22
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Dear John Cumberford,

I would like to thank you for the opportunity you have extended to the [Name] who is enrolled in the Certificate III Information and Cultural Services Course through TAFE Western Connect which is a fully online course.

Work experience is an essential part of the course and your contribution of support, time and effort is greatly appreciated.

This letter is to introduce [Name] who I am sure you will find enthusiastic and willing to learn anything associated with the work area he is studying.

Please find the attached information for Work Experience Student Host Employers on indemnities and insurances.

I look forward to hearing from you as to a suitable date for an interview.

Please feel free to contact me at any time on any matter related to [Name] and the work experience opportunity.

Andrea Lovell.

Facilitator Library, Information and Cultural Services Courses

weee this is actually happening

loliforgoticouldjustuse[name]insteadofmyname