If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-04-18 23:28:50
    You can change. You can.

But different paths and the like is not the defining factor of a game, only the whole Mass Effect debate. This is about what a game is at a fundamental level.

At a fundamental level a game is nothing but a challenge. Normally, the challenge is solving a series of problems with the use of tools that the game designer gives you and your own skills. Some games, like, say, Hitman, allow you to solve problems through a combination of both tools and situation, while implicilty encouraging you to perform it in a certain way, and thus implicilty encouraging you to choose a certain path. This doesn't mean that you can't go and try it in any other way but the one encouraged by the design of the game, but it does mean that not doing it will be harder and will get you a punishment later on.

I don't think all videogames do this, but it's quite common, and again, there's nothing wrong with that. In the case of Hitman, you're supposed to incarnate a silent assassin, and being noisy and as blatant as you can be both against the experience the game is trying to encourage in the first place. 

The issue here is simply that games are not designed by the audience and they are throughly fixed in point. When you release a videogame, you can't get an outcome that wasn't intended by the designer without either creating a modification yourself or by finding a hole in the programming that wasn't intended by the designer (Bugs and glitches)

now, other games, like most Tabletops, allow the players to create different outcomes according to their narrative needs while following the rules established by the designer. But see, the thing is, you can't do that in a videogame simply because a tabletop game is not a full game. They're just tools that the players can approach in different ways. What stops the game from turning into a fullblown modification of its own? Simply, maintaining both the spirit of the game while not turning away from the basic rules that the game itself sets. 

• You can change. You can.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

@Alex: Holy shit, Crow's Claw. I haven't listened to them since a bunch of their songs got taken off youtube.

A lot were put back. 

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    I nominate Alex.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I nominate Alex.

Seconded.

hahahahah, where is my sanity

is it under a football

• edited 2012-04-18 23:34:13
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

wherein homura's hat represents my sanity

> choosing a swordsman to fly into a timestream clusterfuck in a futurevehicle

But I haven't even mastered metafencing yet! 

Oh, there is my sanity. Alongside Bill Clinton's homosexuality.

...wait

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

But I haven't even mastered metafencing yet!

You can try to stab the timestream in the face or something on the way by, if it makes you feel better.

What if we made the plane sword-shaped?
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

dickbutt

You know, it figures that the day all of IJBM goes insane is the one day Hitler's not around.

No, alex, gaming doesn't work the way you say it works.

Also, you're the only man that can save the time stream.

well, not really, we just want to sacrifice you

This is surprisingly not from Metalocalypse:

the world is a vampire, and we're all just rats in a caged time stream

• edited 2012-04-18 23:47:28

Is he running or dancing I can't tell

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Basically, saying that games are not (normally) a fixed art form is kinda like saying that cities are interactive

The "normally" in that sentence makes all the difference in the world.

Juan

Come back to us Juan

What would Batman say if he saw you like this

I think the timesteam will work itself out; after all, I'm posting in the future, right? So I don't have to go save the timestream. 

>Juan: Check updates

good grief i'm referencing MSPA, kill me

• edited 2012-04-18 23:57:21
    We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    Quit making excuses, Alex. You are the Chosen One and that's final.

Now sack up and go stab that hole with a plane.

The phallic implications aren't lost on me, you know. 

It's like the progressive rock version of bluesy smut. 

oh alex you sissy, i'll fly the plane you go stab the demon football that caused all this.

no, alex, you still need to sacrifice yourself for our sins so we can live a time aligned life

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I got my first wrinkle (not counting the tiny ones under the eyes, everybody has those). It's on my forehead, and is quite noticeable.

Damn it, I'm only 18. This isn't supposed to happen.

Planes can't be phallic!

They have wings.
  • edited 2012-04-19 00:01:34
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Go forth, Alex.

Go forth and thrust your hard metal shaft into the rend in spacetime.

Make your ancestors proud.

I FUCKING SHALL NUKE EVERYTHING

guise :|