If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Demon's Souls will teach you not to get mad. 

This isn't exactly a great answer from your perspective, I understand, but it's very common amongst people who've played it. Eventually, you stop getting pissed off. After all, it's a game and you learn and stuff. Relax and run with it. The game will troll you at every turn, and the best response is to troll back. 

I guess the fact that there's an awesome grinding spot at the end of World 4 makes up for a lot, though. 

All that said, the fact that there's no pausing is rarely an actual issue unless you're directly in the middle of combat at the very moment you need to be away from the game. You start in a safe sport in every world, and if you can't see any enemies except at distance, you're entirely safe. The game doesn't throw unannounced curveballs at you, and enemies don't respawn until you leave a particular world. So this is only an issue during boss fights, where you can't run from the area.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes, but if several years of playing games has taught me anything, it is that the phone will only ring when I am finally close to defeating a particularly difficult boss; and this will happen every time I am in this situation.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

That feel when Mel Gibson all but lives in your country and you just realize it.

Yes, but if several years of playing games has taught me anything, it is that the phone will only ring when I am finally close to defeating a particularly difficult boss; and this will happen every time I am in this situation.

Been there, raged.

Been there again, raged again.

Been there a third time, stopped raging. 

Defeated the boss on my fourth try, got all my souls back and levelled up like a boss. 

It sucks, but it's just a thing, and necessary given that the online and offline games are 100% the same, to the extent that the online game is literally the offline game with cross-player interactive elements. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Cygan, did you see my post a few pages ago about strategy for what to do next?

• Ical: The only good Final Fantasies are I, IV, VI and IX.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

But see, you actually don't suck at the game :x

You saw how long it took for me to get past it a single time.

Honestly, I don't see why the offline component of the game does not allow you to pause. It adds to the survival aspect of it, yes, but is that worth the rage that not being able to pause when real-life stuff crops up?

Ultimately, you want people to play your game. Features that punish people for having a life are not conducive to that.

INUH: Yes. But a friend's coming over today, so I dunno if I'll be playing it until later today.

• I've heard that Final Fantasy X has a good battle system and the setting seems really well developed. Is that all worth putting up with Tidus for?

Tidus is not as annoying as people make him out to be.

The battle system is... different from the usual FF fare.

As I've said, there isn't a different offline or online component to the game. It's the same thing, exactly, except being online allows your game to communicate with other games. 

Yes, but there is no reason for that to be.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>I've heard that Final Fantasy X has a good battle system and the setting seems really well developed. Is that all worth putting up with Tidus for?

Eh, Tidus isn't the only annoying character. There's Wakka, Rikku, whatshisname blue moose-hair villain, and the point I dropped the game was when it just pulled the drag with nothing other than people foreshadowing Yuna's death sacrifice. 

Honestly, the setting has some pretty crazy holes in as well. I'm still not quite sure how death works in the game, though maybe it's explained in the part I didn't play.

• edited 2012-03-02 18:17:05

Perhaps, but I think when a game puts so much emphasis on story and characters and said story and characters suck... well, it's not really a good game.

• ^^You did not need to blank that out. It was a valid opinion.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Watched the first two episodes of Future Diary. In spite of some audio issues, I really liked it. Reminded me a little too much of Death Note, but that's not exactly the most horrible anime to be reminiscent of.
  • edited 2012-03-02 18:27:41

^^ Yeah, but I was being unnecessarily hyperbolic.

In any case, it is true that I think Final Fantasy X is the most fun to play of the main Final Fantasy games, largely because of its battle system.  I don't really think the older Final Fantasy games are totally unbearable though, just that they are worse than X.

And as for the story and characters... I dunno.  I don't really ever take the story and characters in video games very seriously, and I'm easy to amuse, so I enjoyed what I played of Final Fantasy X.

• edited 2012-03-02 18:38:34

Recently, I've realized how much I'll miss being at an university once I graduate.

• edited 2012-03-02 18:41:27

Just got around to playing the Mass Effect 3 demo.

Holy shit.

A few observations:

* For once, you can actually make a Shepard that isn't inherently butt-ugly.

* The music is amazing. The scene of you flying away from Earth while that damn sad music plays... Jesus.

* The AI is a lot smarter. They actually flanked me! And I thought from ME1 and ME2 the art of flanking has been lost in the future.

* The mech was actually hard to take out. Mechs in other ME games are usually way too easy to kill.

So pretty much... damn, that was amazing. Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

• edited 2012-03-02 18:47:13

^^You can always stick around for the Master's. I pretty much have to since I took a degree with minimal job opportunities, but in a more useful sense, many of the higher-end jobs expect a Master's degree.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I played the demo just a little bit, mostly just to make sure it would run well enough to play.

I want to wait to see everything at the right moment, though, so I didn't finish.
  • LaiLai
    edited 2012-03-02 19:44:37

On FFX topic: I never found Tidus all that annoying. Well, not to the extent that everyone makes him out to be. The combat system I legitimately enjoyed though.

FFIV was rather meh to me. Gimme V anyday.

• Just played the multiplayer demo. It was pretty fun. They really need to speed up the weapon switching in a patch, though.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-03-02 19:59:07

No, Bianca, I don't want to go to the Pokemon Theater.

No, old man, I don't want to play Pokemon Dress-Up right now.

No, game, let me pick no! [/Playing Pokemon White]

Christ, for some reason this english version of steins; gate won't get past the opening menu for me and the solution the torrents give are only possible for XP and Vista. >_>

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Imagine you are reading a book. It is one of those heavy ones that talk about something deep, like social structure or philosophy or theoretic physics. It could even be a really boring novel. The thing is, it has really small letters, in fact they are so small that after some hours of boring reading, the endless series of lines of text start blurring your vision, causing you to skip lines. You try to get your mind together and try to read the next line, but you miss again, reading the same line again and again for two or three times. Getting annoyed by this, you try to look at something else for a moment and resume reading only to take it up at small letters, in fact they are so small that after some hours of boring reading, the endless series of lines of text start blurring your vision, causing you to skip lines. You try to get your mind together and try to read the next line, but you miss again, reading the same line again and again for two or three times. Getting annoyed by this, you try to look at something else for a moment and resume reading only to take it up at small letters, in fact they are so small that after some hours of boring reading, the endless series of lines of text start blurring your vision, causing you to skip lines. You try to get your mind together and try to read the next line, but you miss again, reading the same line again and again for two or three times. Getting annoyed by this, you try to look at something else for a moment and resume reading only to take it up at page tanasinn
  • edited 2012-03-02 20:29:55
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

^

5042198485_5cf4a261f4_z.jpg

No, old man, I don't want to play Pokemon Dress-Up right now.

oh dear

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe: officially preordered.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I placed my preorder...something like six months ago.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

I got my preorder in, but I think I'll probably try to swing a midnight release for the collectors edition.