If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

> face a vanguard

> die

riiiiight

-_-

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

You're not supposed to win that fight :P

It's possible, but I wouldn't bother.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, I know, they made me come back as a Soul.

However, it goes > easy enemy > easy enemy > slightly tougher enemy > slightly tougher enemy with a shield > vanguard

what the fuck

Because it was easing you in, and then the time for the death tutorial rolled around, so...

Then why the hell didn't they just not give me healing items, and then make me traverse a collapsing floor or something.

Well, the Vanguard can be defeated if you're really good, after which you get some decent items and die in a cutscene. They wanted to let really good players have a chance of benefiting.

Right, that's it, fuck this game, I give up.

It's a really good game; don't drop it because it did something a lot of games do in tutorials.

No, I'm dropping it because I've died seven times against this stupid knight with a blue helmet who I can't figure out how to beat despite having fought him seven times. Can't parry, can't block, get him down to low health and he heals, whatever.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

There IS a lets play of this game that shows you how to beat it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

What class are you, and what are your tactics? 

A lot of the game is about finding the ideal distance between your and your adversary. This is the distance where you can pressure them more than they can pressure you. In the context of the blue-eyed knights, this is a distance where you can escape but where you can also close in quickly if they look as though they're going to heal. 

When he's healing, he can't defend. One shot at that point should end him.

I don't know what class I am. It never showed me what classes I can choose from.

The problem with getting in close to the knight is he has this fast attack which knocks off half my health and gets my shield the hell out of the way for two follow-up attacks. But if I keep my distance, he has a charge attack.

I finally killed him- I got lucky, because the knight didn't raise his shield after a combo, I think he was going to heal, and I power-attacked him.

I went through the fog and followed down. A knight threw a firebomb, and despite being on full health, it killed me.

So WHATEVER, fuck this game.

• You can change. You can.

gimme then

also, relevant as all fuck

why yes, i just played for three hours and had my face beaten repeteadly by a slightly drunk haven's uril deck.

to be fair i'm kinda drunkish myself

• edited 2012-03-01 23:10:32
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I was kinda surprised by Dark Souls.  I kept hearing about how ballcrushingly hard it is, but I found it a lot more... fair than I expected.  It was hard, but not in a bullshit way.

Though I'm still not very far.

EDIT: wait, you were talking about demon's souls

never mind then

So I decided, what the hell maybe I'll find a crossbow this time rite

I got back up there. Not only is Mister Blue Face back, but apparently the spearman I had fought before is capable of doing like, five attacks at once if the crossbowman hits me in midattack. These five attacks are sufficient to kill me.

So I died, in the process presumably losing the three-thousand some souls I had accumulated before.

And I still have no crossbow.

Don't worry about crossbows. They're awful. Bows are well worth it, though, but they have higher requirements for use. 

And you should've gotten a class select during character creation. 

If you decide to continue playing, note that every character needs Vitality and Endurance. Apart from that, you should choose one other stat to level up (I recommend Intelligence or Faith) for the sake of damage scaling. Strength and Dexterity don't scale well, but Magic and Blessed weapons will do you a lot of good. Intelligence and Faith also empower Spells and Miracles respectively. 

But at least a crossbow would give me an option other than > advance with shield up > wait until they attack > parry > spam the attack button until you need to go back on the defensive

Although, I must admit. I'm getting pretty much perfect at the combat in this game, just through sheer, fucking repetition. I've learned that you have to tank the charge attack then parry the next blow, power attack, get away, repeat.

Then they gave the next guy a crossbowman as backup, so when I tried to go kill him mister blue-helmet knocked me off the platform and I died again.

You know what'd be nice? A combat system that doesn't run on trial-and-error.

• edited 2012-03-01 23:30:47
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

> Chrome offers to translate Juan's Spanish tumblr post into English

Quality vs Disfrutabilidad

> what is "disfrutabilidad"
    > say it out loud
    > "this fruit a billy dad"
    > forever shaken 

^ It's like the combat system in Monster Hunter. The initial stages are learning, but you'll know most of the patterns once you're really into the game. Honestly? I never bothered with parry much. My strategy has always been to block, allow them to attack and try to ensure I'm just out of distance. Once their attack is spent, I can step in with my own. 

That said, I play as heavily-armoured knights most of the time. If you're in lighter armour, you could roll out of the way. Not getting hit is always better than stopping a blow with a shield (but not as good as parrying, I guess). 

Rather than taking every enemy type as an individual cast, you should construct mental groups for them. Enemy knights, for instance, are weak to piercing attacks and strong, decisive blows that take advantage of an opening. Your average mook, on the other hand, is weak against weaker, faster attacks that can be more easily chained together. 

Give us a list of your major gear items and we'll see what we can do for you. 

Then they gave the next guy a crossbowman as backup, so when I tried to go kill him mister blue-helmet knocked me off the platform and I died again.

If you stand behind something, the crossbowman won't be able to attack you at all.

I have a plate helmet, a coat of plate, plate gauntlets, plate leggings. a slave shield, two soldier's shields, a short spear, a mail breaker, a broken sword, and a broadsword, but I've been sent back to the start so many times that I've killed so many enemies it broke.

Which I guess means I need to go back and fix it, but ahaha I HAVE NO SOULS AGAIN

INUH: I know. The problem with that means I can't effectively get the hell out of the way to heal when I get to low health, so...

• edited 2012-03-01 23:41:18
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's like the combat system in Monster Hunter. The initial stages are learning, but you'll know most of the patterns once you're really into the game.

Anyway, I have something to say about this.

Monster Hunter has a distinct advantage over Demon's Souls in its' initial stages. That is, in Monster Hunter, they give you a lot of starting health, then tell you to go figure out the patterns for the bosses and enemies. in Demon's Souls, you have enough health to be killed in approximately two decent hits by any moderately strong enemy.

Monster Hunter gives you a chance to experiment a bit and figure it out. Demon's Souls just looks at it, says "Nah, they'll be able to figure it out just by looking at the enemy" then throws you in. And if you can't figure it out in about five seconds, you're effectively dead.

• edited 2012-03-01 23:46:38

>Great Western Highway is closed due to flooding.

FUCK

>Bathurst is also flooding

DOUBLE FUCK

What the hell nature? Seriously, what the hell? This is Australia goddammit.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Alex is a mad genius. >_>

> kind words
    > from malk

what do you want from me

@Cygan: Yes, Demon's Souls is incredibly punishing. Once you establish your character, though, the late-early and midgames become more forgiving.  

That's a problem, when the early game is the time when you actually need to figure out what you're doing.

Again and again, I've died without achieving anything satisfactory. I don't even know what I'm meant to be doing. I'm just going along a path until I get set upon by a guy in a red helmet who literally one-shots me with a spear. Seriously, what the hell is with that guy.

Red eyes = do not fuck with. 

The game will give you the signs and information to mark things out as special. I mean, knowing that the blue eyed knights fucked you up, seeing a red eyed knight should have had your klaxons screaming, especially given there's only one (at least there). Each encounter has to be planned around, and you have to question whether some of them are even necessary. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

FAQs, and LPs. Use them.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Go look at your tumblr feed, Lex.

seeing a red eyed knight should have had your klaxons screaming, especially given there's only one (at least there)

But see, I had just killed a single Blue-eyed creature. Why should I have thought that a Red-eyed creature would kill me that fast?

See, here's the thing. I have no decent equipment. I have next to no health. Damn near any enemy can knock me down to half-health if I slip up. The game has a tendency to throw me up against two knights at once, or throw me up against a melee character and a ranged character, which fucks me up quite badly because the melee enemy can throw me down to half health if I stop to block the ranged character's arrow. The game throws me up against enemies that can knock off roughly 45% of my health and destroy my guard in a single blow, and has attacks that can't be parried, meaning you're basically guaranteed to end up on low health by the end of the fight. As you get further in, it's perfectly possible to end up fighting one of these enemies on a narrow walkway with an enemy shooting you in the back with a crossbow, but if you turn away from the knight, chances are he'll knock off 80% of your health in a single combo. If you go another way, you end up circling down stairs, facing a whole bunch of enemies with swords on fire, until, near the bottom, you're facing three at once. Chances are, one'll slip behind you, and from there it's basically as matter of whether the two in front will kill you before the one behind does. If you take the third, and last, passageway, a single enemy with red eyes will one-shot you.

This happens everywhere. Every time I manage to get past someone, something else proceeds to kill me, and it's 20-80 as to whether I'll get back there the next go around and get the two thousand souls I've collected, or whether I'm sent back to the start with a broken weapon, no Souls, and expected to fight my way back to get the Souls back. Then I have to proceed on to the next fight, which I have no idea what it is, and very likely die again.

This is not to mention the fact that I am out of healing items now, considering I have done this two dozen times now.

I have no idea why I'm doing this. They tell me that if I can get enough Souls, I will regain my physical body. They don't tell me how many Souls I need, so for all I know I could go back with 200 and be done with it, but in order to go back to the Nexus I have to backtrack through areas I've cleared which is boring. I don't know what this place is, I don't know what's going on, I've been given an incredibly vague goal and sent on my way.

It is frankly annoying. I'm not having any fun playing this game, I'm just resisting the urge to throw my controller against the wall every time a crossbowman shoots me while I'm fighting a spearman.