If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

So I'm snowed in. Can't get my comics. ;_; This Week in Ink will be postponed until Monday Not like anyone reads it

To cheer myself up I got myself something.

• You can change. You can.

>MFW Malk's not listening to Soda Stereo

;_;

On another note, I'm playing Darksiders. It's a good game but it isn't a bad one either. Really, it's a rental title.

It's also incredibly dumb. The idea to mix God of War with Zelda is a fundamentally flawed one.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Personally, I think the game takes itself too seriously to use the WoW-style artwork and design, too. 

I don't get who thinks the character designs look cool. It's like the worst of WoW, Gears of War,  and warhammer 40k smooshed together.

Which is to say it's the art designs of Wow, Gears of War, Warhammer 40k smooshed together.

> equating 40k to WoW and GoW
    > unironically 

You're right. 

WoW is at least cartoony.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^If something has to be described as a mashup, isn't that the opposite of equating?

Not the opposite, but a different thing.

• At least WoW and GoW fans aren't as fucking annoying as WH40K fans.

• Champion of the Whales

I can't get back into Demon's Souls

• Has friends besides tanks now

Eh, the only WH40K fans I know are pretty cool.

I'm assuming there's some equation because comparisons to 40k never entered my mind when playing Darksiders. 40k used to have a cartoony style, but it moved away from that in 2001ish with the 3rd Edition. This is when, on the downside, 40k began to take itself much more seriously. This was reflected in the artwork, but the introduction of stronger elements of realism became a boon in that sense. 40k always had a diverse array of influences, but it's clear they wanted to make it more Renaissance-era Gothic, using designs, shades and colours that made it stand out more powerfully amongst other things with similar influences. 

40k is often advertised as being hypermasculine via the Space Marines, but it's not really the general case. The human figure in 40k artwork is appropriate for what it aims to represent, be that a legitimately and literally hypermasculine marine, a space nun or an emancipated flagellent. It really wanted to push the theme of the 16th century in space, so it'd be inappropriate for it to hold too dearly to modern standards of masculinity in its visual output. Instead, what we get is itself a mashup of Starship Troopers, 20th century Stalinist Russia and exceedingly religious portions of Renaissance Europe. 

It's relatively impossible for 40k to be used in a mashup because of its own diversity of design, setting and tone. One can draw from elements of 40k, but 40k's notable elements are shanghaied from history. The cleverness in implementation was contextual; you wouldn't expect a Gothic cathedral to be a space station host to genetically-modified space soldiers. But Gothic cathedrals and knights go together, right? So what if the space soldiers are religious, and heavy modelled on Crusaders? The whole thing started as a ridiculous love letter to history, fantasy and sci-fi alike that took a turn for the grimdark heavily around ten years ago. 

Since then, the game and fanbase have certainly gotten worse, granted, but the core concepts remain as ridiculous and fun as they ever were.

(But then again, 40k never was really as good as Fantasy.)

At least WoW and GoW fans aren't as fucking annoying as WH40K fans.

inb4 Charlatan comes and eats your head off.

• edited 2012-02-16 17:01:31
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

HULK REPRESENT ARTISTIC DEIFICATION OF SIXTEENTH CENTURY MASCULINE IDEAL. 

WAIT NO. HULK CONFUSE THAT WITH DEIFICATION OF RIGHT-WING MILITARY WANKERY AND ROB LIEFELD.

This is closer to the 17th or even 18th century BUT STILL DUDE. 

(the game started as "Rogue Trader"; this is a Rogue Trader)

• edited 2012-02-16 17:07:01
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>At least WoW and GoW fans aren't as fucking annoying as WH40K fans.

It's pretty much the opposite from what I've seen.

/probablynotthebestsourceforthis

^^GW pushes the former image a hell of a lot more than the latter. I wasn't 'aged pirate' that got a vidya.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

@Cygan: Gaaaaaaah I just read Blood Rites stop posting almost-spoilers.

They aren't spoilers without context!

What GW pushes and what the fanbase actually likes are by no means connected things. In fact, most of the fanbase holds a distinct dislike for GW's posterboys, the Ultramarines. I mean, GW can make anything their posterchild, but let's just wittle this down to Space Marine chapters. They could use longhair vampire knights (Blood Angels), space Vikings (Space Wolves) or actual tech Crusaders (Black Templars), and of all of them, they choose the most normal and stupidly inconsistent and unremarkable one. 

A huge amount of the fanbase would rather see, say, a horror game about the Imperial Guard (regular Joes fighting the worst the galaxy has to offer) than the Ultramarines, or even any Space Marines. That's kinda the  thing. GW doesn't advertise its diversity, and diversity is what makes the 40k setting so great. I'd be on board with you if it really just was huge-shouldered, genetically-altered space soldiers engaging in hyperviolence all the time, but it's a setting that could express something like Aliens or something like 1984 with equal ease. 

• edited 2012-02-16 17:24:28

^^^They go with what sells, and Marines are what sells for various reasons.

That said, I do still like Space Marines even though they're the "gateway faction" of 40K and arguably the most shallow. Mainly because they still manage to be a fun concept, and does express what I like about 40K: that it revels in its own ridiculousness.

Though, I will say this. I agree with Alex in that I don't like it when 40K dials up the grimdark for the sake of grimdark, it's often forced and looks like it's just trying to live up to its own reputation. In my opinion, 40k would be a lot more appealing if it dipped into the silliness the fans themselves like to put into the setting.

Or the silliness that used to be one of its major appeals. Compare 2nd Edition to 3rd Edition and the silliness isn't just in the artwork, but in the game mechanics themselves. The Orcs of the fantasy variant still have a lot of this to the extent that a few bad rolls can make your entire army collapse into infighting. 

>In fact, most of the fanbase holds a distinct dislike for GW's posterboys, the Ultramarines.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/SharinganKing/laughingbitchessoranowoto.gif" alt="" />

>They go with what sells, and Marines are what sells for various reasons.

So does Michael Bay. Doesn't make it good and doesn't mean it should be supported.

• edited 2012-02-16 17:44:22

"Most" might be inaccurate since the Blue Boys do still sell (though that's due to Vanilla Marines being the cheapest and easiest army to play, making it the starter army for many) but there is a pretty large chunk of the fanbase that despises them (myself included). All of that hate is due to a certain writer...

• edited 2012-02-16 17:47:00

There's also a large part of the Forgotten Realms fandom that hates Drizzt Do'Urden and WoD fans that hate Vampire. They're still the faces of the respective worlds.

Also, holy shit did I write a lot about Darksiders.

• edited 2012-02-16 17:48:04
    Has friends besides tanks now

They aren't spoilers without context!

I won a war.

Not too hard to see how that might connect to context.

Also,

>Malk posts laughing girls reaction gif

>why am I not surprised

Oh come on, it's moe and I've been waiting for a chance to use it! 

• edited 2012-02-16 17:51:42
    Has friends besides tanks now

Hmm. Well, I do like moe. But the laughing [macro/gif/whatever] in debates thing stopped being amusing a while ago.

• edited 2012-02-16 17:52:38

It's not like it's a serious argument. I've tried to cut down on using them for serious business matters.

If Alex is bothered by this he's free to tell me.

Really though, I just wanted an excuse to post SoRaNoWoTo laughing girls.

so, does only Alex's opinion count on this or what