If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Well, I also think that realism with weapons shouldn't be a priority. One of my fondest memories was of a character who a DM had agreed to give me a pair of spiked gauntlets so she could punch stuff without having to do only her strength in damage.

Spiked gauntlets aren't unrealistic. Uncommon, but not strictly non-existent. It was more common to get gauntlets that had inbuilt knuckles for kinetic impact, but still. 

But like I said, realism is a really easy way to work towards natural balance. The less weapons the easier it is, but consider the early medieval (or Germanic/Celtic) trilogy of setups:

- Shield and sword
    - Shield and spear
    - Shield and axe

Each weapon exists to counter particular challenges found in its context. An axe cuts mail and a spear out-ranges the others while having decent armour penetration itself. A sword is of medium range and has superior versatility, but is more limited against armour. Typically speaking, one of those weapons will succeed where another fails. 

Most Asian settings will have a lower diversity of weapons than European ones, too, which is a game design blessing. But even a selection from Europe can be cut down if you make it somewhat accurate to the period (no rapiers coexisting with axes, for instance), and a small selection can still provide a lot of diversity with clever combat mechanics. 

Basically, I push for realism 'cause I'm biased as hell but also because I know that reality itself provides balance and plenty of room for interesting game mechanics. Not that "realism" has to coincide with "detail", mind -- you could be realistic in a small amount of aspects you wish to express through the game. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, one thing I'm trying to do is keep it fairly setting-neutral, though I think there'll be a bias towards more European weapons.

And I'm definitely in agreement that realism makes for good balance. And it's not hard to include it in the rules, if you just give a weapon a couple of situational modifiers.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Man, playing Okami on the wii after Skyward Sword really highlights how much better SS is at motion control than pretty much any other game.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

playgroup, huh?

• You can change. You can.

For a rather loose definition of the word, anyway. But yeah, the Magic playgroup. Although it's not exactly an organized deal. It's just that whenever there're a bunch of regulars at the TvT group. As per usual with the site, there're bound to be a couple of asshats who you keep playing with because the people you like are not around and because other people like them enough to not be bothered by them, I guess.

Hey, Alex, while we're on this subject, I'm trying to classify weapons for purposes of specialization. Is there a generic term for weapons like maces, axes, warhammers, etc. that consist of a heavy bit on the end of a stick?

>That feel when you realize Persona 4 is a japanese take on Scooby Doo

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Dude weren't you there when I made a thread on that subject?

Though it lacks the humanist aspect of Scooby-doo.

I don't think I was there, unfortunately. It has opened my eyes now...Chie is Velma crossed with Bruce Lee! Can't unsee!

• Just did a career test for school.

Fuckin' stupid test, folks.

Hey, Alex, while we're on this subject, I'm trying to classify weapons for purposes of specialization. Is there a generic term for weapons like maces, axes, warhammers, etc. that consist of a heavy bit on the end of a stick?

"Mass weapons" is commonly accepted. 

Ah, excellent. Thanks. Bearing in mind that the actual skills I'm using for weapons are one-handed and two-handed, does this look like a fairly good split for the first tier of specializations beyond that?

• Swords

• Polearms

• Mass Weapons

• Knives

Note: I'm aware of stuff like punching daggers and that shields are technically weapons, but they're under different skills.

Yeah, that pretty much covers everything. 

Awesome. Thanks ^_^

• Champion of the Whales

Btw is there an RPG in which the main character uses an RPG?

Mass Effect 2 has one. Though they don't use that term.

• edited 2012-02-07 16:46:47
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    http://kotaku.com/5882961/minecrafts-creator-wants-to-put-up-money-to-make-psychonauts-2-a-reality

http://kotaku.com/5883048/psychonauts-creator-seems-confused-by-surprise-sequel-benefactor
    Double Fine has sent official word to Giant Bomb, telling the gaming website "Tim and Markus are talking. Who knows what might happen?"
    this is a thing that may be happening
  • a little muffled

It's just that whenever there're a bunch of regulars at the TvT group. As per usual with the site, there're bound to be a couple of asshats who you keep playing with because the people you like are not around and because other people like them enough to not be bothered by them, I guess.

why do you hate me juan

^^Heard about the tweets. Good to see there's more official followup on them, though still nothing certain.

@NyktosYou keep exsanguinating us all >:|

nah, it's not you, dude. You're not an smug asshole as far as I know. 

Entonces quien?

• a little muffled

@Juan: To be honest I'm kind of curious to know who you have a problem with, though I could probably make a reasonable guess.

• edited 2012-02-07 17:25:54
    You can change. You can.

eh, he ain't here, so whatever. Ramus. --shrug--

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

I really want Borderlands 2 to be out sooner.
    Borderlands was such great fun. 

• a little muffled

@Juan: Yeah, thought as much.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    So my sisters were in the other room watching The Voice, and I wandered in. I'm surprisingly entertained.

I've never really been a fan of American Idol type shows, but I might actually start watching this one.

Plus, Cee Lo Green is one of the judges, and he's always fun to watch.

so i'm reading battle for the cowl and my first thought is "Who let Alex near my comics, damnit"

is this supposed to be some ploy to get me into your faggy "western comical literature publications"

no, it's a ploy for you to stop appearing in my brain whenever someone pretends they're a knight in plain twentieth century, goddamnit

• But you never had any to begin with.

Another manages to be unsettling even when nothing bad is going on. Maybe it's because the town it's set in apparently borrowed Silent Hill's supply of rust.