If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

o juan, y u so sitcom

• Champion of the Whales

Juan has 2 bathrooms?

Check out Captain Money bags over there

• edited 2012-02-03 11:42:05
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Technically, one could set a chamber pot in every room and have a lot of bathrooms.

Jus' saiyan'.

• Champion of the Whales

Not really because they aren't bathrooms

So I'm reading some English longsword tidbits and it the English style is endearingly kinetic. Whereas the German and Italian manuals are very much about perfecting singular strikes and then linking them, the English writings are more about following a line of kinetic energy while continuing the attack. For instance, the same kind of strike seems to be repeated in sequence often, just on opposite sides (right rising diagonal, left rising diagonal, right rising diagonal, ect). And whereas German and Italian methods instruct us to end each strike with the point at your adversary, the English style seems to advocate an approach where your sword never stops moving.

This means the English style, visually speaking, is more fluid and photogenic. Strikes have wider arcs, but aren't more tiring because one follows the flow of kinetic energy, much like using a single-handed sword.

This is such cool stuff.

• You can change. You can.

There are three bathrooms in the old house, in total

• Champion of the Whales

2 Bathrooms still alot

• edited 2012-02-03 12:07:16

^^^ Sounds pretty cool.

^ Not really. We have three (only one operable shower/bath, though).

• But you never had any to begin with.

• edited 2012-02-03 12:32:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Chihaya Kisaragi lives in a studio apartment.  The entrance leads to a main room that contains the kitchen that spans the whole left side of the room, from cupboards to range, except for a little part of the wall that has what's probably a phone, a thermostat, and something else.  A raised counter separates it and the living/bed area, then she has a table and a bed there.  Across that room from the counter is a curtained floor-to-ceiling window, which probably leads to a small balcony, which is probably the highlight of her apartment (no pun intended; I'm thinking property values/rent here).

I haven't figured out where the door to the bathroom is, though.  I think it's behind her bed's headboard.  According to footage in episode 11, there's a door to the right of you if you were to walk into the apartment from its main entrance.  That's probably the bathroom, and it's probably the just past the shelf that's on your right as you walk in.  It contains a bathtub.

Then again, another shot makes it look like that there's more than one door there, and it's a longer hallway that has a 90 degree bend.  Maybe the first door's a coat closet?

The main room appears to have a closet with two foldout doors, behind the bed.

The window at the far end of the room looks onto the street.  The floor-to-ceiling window/balcony probably doesn't, which is why in episode 16 she looks out that far window to see the street.  Episode 16 also shows the apartment in daylight, and what may be a balcony railing is barely visible as a shadow on the curtain.

• law of silence

^ Ah, that's quite...perceptive. 

• Champion of the Whales

^ Not really. We have three (only one operable shower/bath, though).

We only have one bathroom here

...glenn, i think you might be spending too much time over analyzing inane bullshit.

In other news, did I ever tell you guys how I wish we could use some sort of test tube thingy to splice Grant Morrison's genes into every writer's genetical code?

cuz i do

• Juan - The stereotype of Spain as backward, mediaeval and repressive is called "la legenda negra" by the Spanish (the black legend - apologies if the Spanish is wrong there). A lot of it goes back to Protestant prejudice against/fear of Catholics in the days when Spain was the major Catholic power in Europe.

Odd to see the Japanese pick up on it but I suppose to them we're all funny foreigners with wacky exotic cultures anyway.

It's "Leyenda" rather than "Legenda", but otherwise good.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Juan_Carlos: It's the layout of interior living space.  Has the "ITT: Evergreen talks about houses and real estate" thread told you anything about Evergreen and me with regards to being very interested in interior living space designs?

freakin protestants amirite

@GMH:well, yes, but it's fictional animu layout of interior living space. Just sayin'

• ^^ I enjoyed that thread, which is weird because I normally avoid the very many property related shows to be found on TV.

Well, they're usually about specific improvements, not about the layout of an entire house or apartment, which isn't something that can be changed easily, not even on an upper-middle-class budget.

• Incidentally, I've been pretty interested in animu interior living space layouts as well.  I was actually thinking about recreating Yui and Ui Hirasawa's house in Sketchup, though I'm way too lazy to actually believe I'm going to ever do it.  In any case, there actually are floor plans that someone made for it once (because he was planning on building the house in real life, apparently), but they seem somewhat inaccurate, though that's probably just because some things would need to be changed for the house to actually work in real life.

I would love to see someone build something from a fictional setting.  Bonus points if they can accomplish building Karl Stromberg's ocean palace from James Bond: The Spy Who Loved Me.

>Last rites ending

i swear, these aren't tears. it's just um...the air, man, i tell you. 

;_;

not tears, I swear

• edited 2012-02-03 13:22:27
    But you never had any to begin with.

/lamepun

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I finally got around to starting Dark Corners of the Earth.

dat hotel sequence

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

There are a few really great points in the game, as well as some unforgivable lows. That and the Shoggoth sequence are the best parts I think.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

>goes to /r/IAmA

>notices the scheduled AMA sidebar

>looks 

Tuesday, February 14th, 12PM Noon EST. Neil Strauss, journalist and author of The Game.

OH GOD

• edited 2012-02-03 22:16:48
    You can change. You can.

"I did consider once resigning from the Wayne threshold. 'I need a disguise' he said and I thought he'd finally gone mad with grief, especially his next words. But when I saw what he meant, when I watched how he surrendered himself to an ideal, how he used each ordeal, each heartache and failure to become a better man, in the service of others...what could I do but stand in humble awe? And keep his wounds clean and his uniform tidy? And send him on his way. (...) 'Alfred', he said not long ago, If anyone ever asks for an obituary, tell them Batman's biggest secret was the classic whodunnit? Only it's not about who killed the Bat, but who kept him alive all these years (...) The whereabouts of Batman remain unknown, and yet...I can see him now. In the grip of implacable forces. Innumerable foes. Somewhere without hope. In a place where all seems lost. And I know this, the enemy will look away, for just a moment, understimating him, for a single fraction of a second too long. And no matter how dark the night...There will be no hiding place for evil"

You're best bro, Alfred

The best. ;_;

^^ xkcd invocation

Everybody wins!

• No rainbow star

^ Dammit I didn't even think of that until you said XKCD invocation