If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >sit down to work on story after a few months of nothing
    >stare at blank page for an hour
    >fuck you writers block
  • Hmm...what is your idea anyway?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Well, it's that Nil story I've posted about a couple times in the writing thread.

Basically, I'm not sure what I want to accomplish in chapter 11. I know exactly what's going to happen in 12, since that's going to be something I've planned from the beginning, and I know how I want 11 to end, but not how I want to get there.

I could always move the Big Event up a chapter, I suppose, since writing that would come easy, but I want to space it out a bit, so the story doesn't feel like it's moving too fast. And at the same time, I want something interesting/of importance to happen during 11, so it's not just boring filler.
  • edited 2012-01-01 12:08:19
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I should get back to writing soon, too. I don't remember what I did with those ideas I got in the Writing thread, but I have a few that I might start. But I was hoping I could write all of those in college instead.

It doesn't help that to get into Susquehanna's Creative Writing program, I need about ten pages worth of writing samples.
    I forgot how much I hate reading my own writing.
  • Happy New Year, etc.!

I frenched a bro at the frat's new year party in order to dissuade him from hitting on a brodette I had my eye on. Turns out he was the better kisser of the two. Not sure whether this is a good start of the year or not.
  • No rainbow star
    Counterclock: That it is a number that is higher than 9000 but less than 10,000!

...Wait...
    Well, I got something written. I'm not particulary happy with it, but at least I'm past it.

I can't remember if I actually got any of you to follow it, but I'll probably post it to my Fictionpress tonight.
  • Had a fun New Years party, saw a lot of friends for the first time in months. Had a little scare with one of them due to his taking Benadryl before the party, so he passed out shortly after midnight. Since we couldn't wake him up, I had to talk to his dad when his parents called to check on him. At least he was fine in the morning. Stayed over there until 2 PM talking about the people we never have to deal with again.
  • It pleases me that no shitstorm happened during December.
    It's very refreshing.

Anyway, I can't remember if I ever got any of you to follow it, but the new chapter of Nil is up.

http://fictionpress.com/s/2953178/11/
  • Daym, shit is going down. I swear I could actually hear an ominous latin chorus with accelerando as I read the last few sentences. Nicely done, Forzare.

Sorry to say, but I just jumped in so I have no idea what your novel is about. Could you give me a brief summary?
  • edited 2012-01-01 22:52:58
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I'd suggest reading the start, rather than hearing it summarized:

IMO, it's the best part so far. Not to say the rest isn't good.
  • edited 2012-01-01 22:56:11
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Thanks, ninja!

And yeah, what INUH said. I'm not really even sure how I'd summarize it at this point.
    Nope. This is the first I've heard of it.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I've heard of that series, but I wasn't to that point in it, yet.

Seems some escalation happens over the course of it XD
    That series looks pretty interesting, though. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Maybe after I finish The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
  • I've seen that book in the best sellers section of my local bookstore, and there's that movie coming out, so I'll ask: what are you thoughts on it?
    I'll get back to you on that when I'm more than fifty pages in.

I saw the Swedish movie, though, and I quite liked it.
  • edited 2012-01-02 00:07:06
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^^ Yeah, how far are you into it? Neva mind, ninja'd.

I just saw the American adaptation, and it was . . . pretty disturbing. Very well-done, but disturbing (enough so that I was surprised at how much they got away with). Much like Let Me In.

Also, something's struck me as funny; I read Let Me In, and Malk saw the (original, Swedish) movie; you're reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and I saw the (non-original, American) movie.
    ^ Pretty much my thoughts on the Swedish version.
  • edited 2012-01-02 00:08:48
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    @Nightworld and its series:I've only read The Keep and The Tomb. They're the first two books of the Adversary Cycle and the latter is the first book of the Repairman Jack series (Nightworld being the last book of both).

Both were good, although they didn't seem like books that were part of a series when they were first written so much as books that wound up being part of a series later.

I thought they were pretty good. Wilson's a libertarian, and that's pretty important to Repairman Jack (who kind of lives off the grid and does odd jobs for cash), but it's treated realistically, i.e. Jack's total disconnection from the government has reasonable drawbacks.
    Well, The Keep was three bucks, so I downloaded it on my Kindle to read later.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    If I decide to read the series, I might have to reread the first two books. I don't remember much about The Keep, but apparently I liked it enough to go out and buy the next book :P
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    but the new chapter of Nil is up.

WHY ARE YOU IN THE BREAD AISLE

I know, that's in the first chapter :V shut up

And stop telling me what people are like, damn

show me what they are like
  • edited 2012-01-02 00:56:05
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, I feel like the early chapters are the weakest in writing quality, especially considering that Nil is the first serious thing I've ever written. I need to go back and reedit them sometime. It's been about nine months since I wrote them. :V

That said, I think I did a lot of that early ok because I hadn't decided who'd just show up once or twice or just be mentioned, and who'd actually become characters, and never went back to fix it.

And that bread aisle is actually the most significant place of power in the whole novel.

Trufax.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    The early chapters, at least so far, also have a pretty bad sense of pacing. It's like you're in a hurry to get from one important bit to the next, but that's not how it should be- downtime between events, man, we need downtime to absorb what's happening, and the bits in between are where the bread go, man

You can't have a proper story/sandwich without the bread. Otherwise, you're just eating a slice of meat. Probably a good snack, but it's not as filling as a whole sandwich.

(The bread is like, the characterization and stuff.)

(There, see how annoying that is?)
    Also, I mat do a Pokemon liveblog soon enough :V

Only with two rules-

The traditional Nuzlocke rule of fainting = death

And also, I can't buy Pokeballs, I can only use the ones given to me/the ones I can find

But I don't have to catch the first one I find.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Happy new year everyone!

I'm supposed to be working on an application.

Instead, I'm playing various games.  Alternatively I should sleep.

I think IJBM's one-year anniversary is coming up soon.

I hope Longfellow shows back up soon.