If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-14 18:11:11

Beat Vile, but died in the vertical shaft with the wall cannons.

Also, stops being a no-power up run with the Dash Boots and the cannon Zero gives. I could choose not to fully charge it until Wolf Sigma.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

alexing

Hurm. Have you looked into Tales of the Abyss yet? It's pretty much better mechanically and narratively (and Tales of Vesperia is better than that).

• Hmm, Glenn, should I do the same challenges with the same restrictions in X2?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ As I understand it, Vesperia is an XBox 360 exclusive, so fuck dem nuggets for my lack of an XBox. If Abyss is on the PS3, though, I'll certainly pick that up. I mean, Symphonia is still good, better than most games, but it has its failings as well. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Abyss is the only Tales game I have; I have the 3DS version. It's quite good thus far.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-14 18:33:05

Reminded that I rented Vesperia.

I should probably get to playing that. >>

^^ Depends. Does your PS3 have backwards compatibility? It only came out for the PS2 and 3DS.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I've beaten X2 without any upgrades, but with master weapons and savestates.

• Ah, so in that case, I'll do it with no Maverick Weapons and no savestates. (I have the X Collection.)

• Has friends besides tanks now

Vesperia's on the 3DS? I've actually been curious about that series for a while. It'll probably be the next thing I pick up after I finish Pokemon White.

• Erm, no, I meant Abyss.

• edited 2012-06-14 19:31:58
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

My view on Abyss:

The story is very good. At first I thought it was really predictable, but then almost all of the predictable stuff happened less than a fifth of the way into the game and from there the plot went in interesting directions. Very clever.

It does however fall into the classic JRPG trap of the story and gameplay being two different things that aren't really related, but it's acceptable because the gameplay doesn't suck like in so many of the games to fall into the same trap.

• Playing through X3 reminded me that there's really only a few songs in it I liked such as Gravity Beetle & Toxic Seahorse. For the most part, I tended not to really get into them as I could for the previous games.

My new limited knowledge on Music Theory really didn't change much.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    altaïr is a punk

As for X3 music, I really like Toxic Seahorse.  And Gravity Beetle.  And Volt Catfish.  Volt Catfish is fuckin' awesome.  Love how that starts in E-flat minor and then ends up in C minor by producing a chromatic third relation through the use of a diminished seventh chord.

And did you know that Blizzard Buffalo's theme is the first stage theme in the entire series to use triple meter?  At least, I don't remember hearing anything else.

X2 did have Overdrive Ostrich (in compound duple, that's ONE-and-and-TWO-and-and) and Crystal Snail (a combination of 6 and 7 alternating, and then later bars of 4 (or 8) beats).

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-14 21:01:48

"Love how that starts in E-flat minor and then ends up in C minor by producing a chromatic third relation through the use of a diminished seventh chord."

:| English, please? I'm a beginner. I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Well, the keys with the E-flats and the Cs and the minors. Just not the triple beat or the beat stuff.

Most of the reasons I like certain songs is nothing more complex than "I like how it sounds." I'm not really able to go in-depth.

Hmm. Imma bump that music theory thread now that I have that library book again.

EDIT: On a less off-topic note, I'll list my Top 3 hardest to easiest Maverick to beat with the Buster, with no upgrades of any kind.

1. Sting Chameleon (Pfft. Friggin' spikes falling from from the ceiling, that extremely fast tongue that deals a lot of damage and always disappearing right when I was about to hit him. I seemed to beat him due to being patient and getting him into a pattern where he fires the Chameleon Sting from the top corners of the screen.)

2. Launch Octopus (So many missiles! :O Without the Dash, I need to try to predict when is he going to use his energy drain attack. Rapid fire shots from a distance seem to work for the most part.)

3. Boomer Kuwanger (Must he be such a spaz with the teleporting? Thankfully clinging to the wall seems to work or else I would've been running right into him all the time.)

Really, Sting and Launch are really the only ones I can call difficult. Everyone else has a trick or pattern to them or is Storm Eagle/Chill Penguin.

E-flat minor consists of the notes Eb, F, Gb, Ab, Bb, Cb, Db, Eb.  (Or we can just leave out mentioning the last one because it's always the same because it's an octave.)  C minor consists of the notes C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C.

There was a huge post here, but it's been moved over here.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-14 21:48:41

I was referring more to the chromatic third relation talk and whatnot. But thanks for reexplaining the Major and Minor Keys to me.

Also, fuck Volt Catfish. Not the song though, the song is nice. I mean Volt Catfish himself, such a pain to fight.

• edited 2012-06-14 21:58:21
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I meant that as a general primer to anyone, but you're welcome. :)

Assuming you know key signatures: "chromatic third" relations are pairs of keys that are more than one key signature sharp or flat apart (or pairs of chords whose "keys" are thus).

For example, C major has a key signature of no sharps or flats, and E minor has a key signature of one sharp (F#).  While C and E are a third apart, C major and E minor are not a chromatic third relation.

E major, on the other hand, has four sharps in its key signature; C major and E major would be a chromatic third relation.  So would going from a C major chord to an E major chord.

How do you beat Volt Catfish without getting hit?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-14 22:13:36

Ah, interesting. let us discuss this on the Music Theory thread rather than derail this.

I'm not quite sure. Stupid little sparks from his second phase always screw me up.  I can't beat him with just the Buster normally either.

As stated, I am not patient enough to do a no-damage run with only the Buster.

• edited 2012-06-14 22:18:38
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I tried fighting him with only the buster but he would always crap on me before I finished him off.

Seems like his first phase can be baited into doing an easier-to-avoid attack.  And his second phase's splash attack is more easily avoidable by standing close to him.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Volt Catfish has pretty much the same pattern as most other bosses in that game.  (I swear, the boss design in that game is really lazy.)  Of course there's a ton of things there throwing you off, but learning the pattern helps immensely.  But I haven't played X3 in a loooooooong time.

Well, collect-a-thons like that annoy me in general. That's why I've never gotten all the stars in a Mario game or completed the Pokedex.

Uh, the 3D Mario games aren't collect-a-thons.  The stars are actually goals for levels.  Not items to be sought out.  The Blue Coins in Sunshine though?  Fuck those.  Those are collect-a-thon items.  And a huge pain in the ass too.

• You can change. You can.

The stars are goals for levels but you don't need every star in the game to pass it. Once you get the required ones, the rest become a sidequest to collect everything for the sake of collecting it.

• edited 2012-06-14 23:33:39
    If that don't work, use more gun.

Not really.  The rest are just extra levels to go through.  Like bonus levels in other games.  The green stars in Galaxy 2 though?  Definitely falls under collect-a-thon.  And are also bullshit.

Also, what the fuck did I just watch?

Not really. The rest are just extra levels to go through. Like bonus levels in other games.

But we are talking about sidequests that involve collecting things. Not something necessary to beat the whole game, but something necessary to reach 100%.

I'd argue that the stars are less collections in the traditional sense and more level goals. It just doesn't make you complete every level to finish the game.

The way I see it, the stars are much like achievements, really. Sure, they aren't necessarily the same as hunting blue coins or whatever, but they do involve the player going through certain actions outside of the main plot in order to fulfill a list in order to get a sense of reward and accomplishment

• edited 2012-06-14 23:44:40

Well yes, but that's not really a collect-a-thon.  You're collecting them yes, but that's just 100%ing the game.  Actual collect-a-thons are more along the lines of any Rareware game, or on the extreme side, DK64.

Edit: Pretty much along the lines of ^^that.

Also, found out that the Black Market function in Uncharted: Golden Abyss isn't broken on my Vita.  It's just that no one in my neighborhood actually plays Uncharted, or hasn't played it in a long time.  Oy vey, socialization mechanics like that in games are a pain.  Better get to grinding for those bounties!

Adachi is a social link in P4 Golden?  Wut.

• Adachi is a social link in P4 Golden?  Wut.

Well... good.  He should have been from the beginning.

• edited 2012-06-14 23:49:11

My main concern is that it'll really clash with certain events later on.  If they can make a social link with Adachi work out though, well that'll be nice.

the stars are much like achievements

I don't buy that. You have to get a certain number of them to finish the game. Thus, what the game is really doing is giving you a set of levels, then telling you to complete a certain number of them. If you can't skip over them and complete the game, they aren't a sidequest or achievement. They're the game.