If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, got it. So...yay.

• edited 2012-11-29 14:31:29
    "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

@Crimson Meeee

Total number of games I have on Steam now: 128.

• edited 2012-11-29 15:28:24
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Man, I would actually really like SR3. Damn you all.

• edited 2012-11-29 15:48:05
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    From what I've seen of it, it seems like a step down from 2, TBH.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And Humble Bundle continues a proud tradition of featuring high-profile games that I don't care about.

...I should really have got that last bundle; could have gotten Eufloria for $1.

• edited 2012-11-29 17:42:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Courtesy of the people in the Humble Bundle thread at TVT, I just noticed that this bundle is Windows-only and Steam-only.  It's only pay-what-you want, and helps charity (to the extent that you give to charity), but not DRM-free, or cross-platform.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Just went a round of War of the Roses with 12 kills and 0 deaths -- with the poleaxe, no less. I am the best fucking knight to ever exist, holy shit, look at all my masculinities. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    I completely disagree, CU.
  • edited 2012-11-29 20:17:02
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, from what I've seen of it, there's substantially less customization, and that's what I liked most about 2.

What is Saint's Row?  Is it a series of GTA-like games?

Like that, but really silly, basically.

How silly?

My personal favorite bit is that in 2, instead of a male and female option in character creation, there's a slider.

Extremely silly.

And I'll give you customization CU, but that really the only place where it is not as good. Everything else, is better.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's okay from what I've heard. Basically just a darker Zelda game.

It doesn't really resemble Zelda at all.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^The gameplay as far as dungeoneering goes is extremely similar to the point where they even give you things like a hookshot.

The combat is nothing alike though, it's more akin to Devil May Cry.

I don't know where the conversation actually switched to Darksiders (and I've tried looking!) but it definitely happened somewhere. 

Darksiders is a lot like Zelda in terms of the tools it gives you and the way it telegraphs the use of those tools to you. The combat is very much like God of War, though, and the actual map design reminds me of hub-based 90s/early 2000s games like Banjo Kazooie. 

Anyway, I've only played the first Darksiders and found it to be intensely mediocre. It's like if you took Warhammer 40k and stripped it of all irony, then based all the game mechanics on other, better games. The whole Apocalypse narrative angle kinda reminds me of what my friends and I would discuss when we were 15 and thought we were being original. It's competent at what it does and there are no major issues as such, but I feel Darksiders doesn't have much working in its favour, either. 

• edited 2012-11-29 21:09:53
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Wait, I think there was a gap in communication.

Yeah we were talking about Saints Row...

I think Nova forgot to quotebox something.

Saints Row is fun. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The gameplay as far as dungeoneering goes is extremely similar to the point where they even give you things like a hookshot.

No, I'd have to disagree. There's some similarities, but...

It reminds me much more of old games like Banjo-Kazooie than Zelda, with DMC-esque combat. It's sort of similar to Zelda, but.... Well, I don't really know how to describe it.

It forces progression through puzzles, much like Zelda does, but the puzzles are very simplistic and don't fit the game near as well as Zelda's. For the most part, they're pretty simple platforming elements and 'throw your Chakram at things to activate the next effect' puzzles.

Normally I'd praise a game for trying to do what Zelda did, but Darksiders just sucked at it, big time.

I think Nova forgot to quotebox something.

no u

Nah, there's definitely a u in that.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=7d4fjvu437xy92bb3xd0plmj&page=39#975

@ClockworkUniverse: I remember your assessment of Spec Ops: the Line is much different, isn't it?

So I downloaded Lose/Lose the computer I don't use anymore.

It's a wild ride.

• You can change. You can.

^^ He's setting the guy up.

I remember your assessment of Spec Ops: the Line is much different, isn't it?

I have a hard time imagining that that post should be taken at face value, as the game is anything but generic in terms of story. I think he is saying that in order not to spoil the experience of the game.

Anyway.

Played more Fallen Enchantress.

The game is fun. The scenario is bullshit.

• So, my recollection of Dark Souls' story so far:

-The world was pretty shitty to begin with.

-Some evil dudes came out of nowhere and killed all the dragons.

-The world is really shitty now.

-And it's about to get shittier.

> implying that there was life before dragons and archtrees, or even that either of those exist according to standard definitions of life

I remember your assessment of Spec Ops: the Line is much different, isn't it?

That's really obviously a trap. The game spends a few levels pretending to be a generic modern military shooter before it starts pulling the rug out from under you.

If you're interested in my detailed opinions on the game (handicapped somewhat by it status as a review and thus its need to remain free of major spoilers), my blogpost on it is here.

So, my recollection of Dark Souls' story so far:

Not quite.

The people who killed the dragons were heroes trying to make a place for the gods and humans in the world. Most of them are evil now, for various reasons (Gwyn got hollowed, Seath went crazy trying to find a way to fix his deformity, Izalith tried to preserve the world's fire but got possessed by a demon instead). I think Nito is still nonevil, though. He's really more of a natural force than anything else, and only attacks you because you're trying to kill him.

The cool thing about Nito, via my own estimations, is that he's more a conceptual force than anything else. His title is "First of the Dead" and he is described as "bringing death to the world". My conclusion? All things were both lifeless and deathless before, somehow, the being known as Nito died. I interpret his mere act of dying and his presence of conceptualising death in the minds of other beings, thereby making it a reality they were all bound to -- therefore creating the discrepancy between life and death. On one hand, he has ensured that all things die; on the other, he made life valuable in the first place.