If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If that don't work, use more gun.

The SNES was a very good time for platformers. I consider Yoshi's Island to be one of the best. Shame it's sequel was pretty bad.

• edited 2012-11-08 11:36:15
    Kichigai birthday!!

Yoshi's Story or Yoshi's Island DS?

Also just completed Yume Nikki. I already knew the ending but it still felt pretty bad

• If that don't work, use more gun.

DS was pretty bad. Eh on Yoshi's Story.

• ^^ Yume Nikki has an ending? I thought it was just wandering around getting spooked by stuff.

• Kichigai birthday!!

After you get all effects and drop them in the nexus Madotsuki jumps off her balcony

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What do you think the chances are that Nintendo is messing with us by saying all this stuff about how there is going to be a Wii U shortage this holiday? I'm not looking forward to another half of year where I couldn't get the console for a reasonable price anywhere.

Given that it was Gamestop and Amazon that first reported that they were already sold out of Wii U preorders, I doubt it.

• Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games ever, yeah.  I didn't think it was that hard unless you were going for 100% though.

Heaven help you if you were trying for No. 1.

So, one of the games I upvoted on Steam Greenlight, Towns, is out.

And...as of the tutorial, it's really, really bad.

• Champion of the Whales

So, one of the games I upvoted on Steam Greenlight, Towns, is out.

I had a look at that, then realised I have both Majesty and Majesty 2.

• edited 2012-11-08 16:57:16
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Okay, finished the tutorials, and now, I'd say it's...only kind of bad.

The interface is unpolished relative to Dwarf Fortress's, and the tutorial is very obviously not written by a native English speaker, but beyond that, it's okay.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

The interface is unpolished relative to Dwarf Fortress's

So what you're saying is that you need to know seven separate programming languages, at least one of which is Brainfuck, in order to play the game? 

• But you never had any to begin with.

Twenty five, actually.

No, worse. It's really, really glitchy. Stuff is frequently covered up by other stuff, hovertext is often covered up by the mouse, there was one thing that wouldn't work until it arbitrarily did, that sort of thing.

And the font it uses is just kind of horrible.

• edited 2012-11-08 19:39:42
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How is the gameplay, though?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Don't know, I don't know if it's been released yet.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's difficult to describe to anyone who hasn't played Alien vs. Predator (the 1999 edition), but the degree to which that mod looks to be capturing everything about it perfectly is staggering. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Youtube comments:

Dave P, my friend, you've just accomplished what several big studios couldn't in a decade. You've managed to attract more attention to the AvP community than both AvP 2010 and A:CM combined in a 4 min. video...of a mod... If anyone tries to take this down, the swarm of fans will crush the opposition! I hope you finish this soon, because millions of players can't wait for it!

A sincerely small elaboration:

Alien vs. Predator (1999, Rebellion) was notable for being far ahead of its time in many aspects; three styles of gameplay, shadows that hid objects (including Aliens!), the capacity to create shadows by breaking lights, AI that ignored hidden objects (including Aliens!), partially randomised encounters and an incredible sense of dread and trepidation for a game that was an action experience at its core. 

Alien vs. Predator 2 (2001, I think? Perhaps 2003? 2004? Can't remember, but it was done by Obsidian) is perhaps the only AvP thing, ever, to have a strong essential plot pitch, and legitimately had a lot of cool scenarios and powerful synchronicity between the three different plot threads. Unfortunately, it left behind things like shadows, dynamic lighting and Aliens that fucked with you. It was extremely strong from a perspective of map design and mission design, but a step backwards in terms of core gameplay. 

Alien vs. Predator (2010, Rebellion again) was excellent in terms of core gameplay and the way that matched the themes of the source material. Unfortunately, its general plot is one of the most half-baked I can think of, it has little synchronicity between the different plot threads and there's not a whole lot going on with the general mission or map design. Unlike the previous entry, though, at least the Aliens were actually worthy adversaries beyond their capacity to appear in numbers. 

The first of these games is one of the very, very few games I've ever played that successfully combines action-oriented gameplay with a sincere atmosphere of dread and feeling of vulnerability. AvP 2010 doesn't do badly at this at all, in my opinion, but it throws it all away towards the end in the name of its plot, which was silly in the first place. But there's this sense of vulnerability in the first game that's just impossible to escape, no matter what weapons you have, and that comes through very clearly in the video above. 

Wow, it's not even a page long. I'm impressed.

• You can change. You can.

It probably is taking him all of his willpower to not commit seppuku

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@ClockworkUniverse: How is the gameplay, though?  Other than the interface stupidity.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Wow, it's not even a page long. I'm impressed.

It doesn't have to do with swords, Star Wars, The Witcher, or Demon's/Dark Souls. Alex is out of his element.

It's got to do with the degradation of the Alien franchise.

Man the biggest Alex essay actually involved Alien.

> post anything about anything
    > discussion about the length of my posts

every time 

It's not our fault there's nothing remarkable about your posts besides that.

So, I finished Ultima IV.

I'm probably starting Ultima V tomorrow.

Will it bother people or anything if I make another diary thread for that one?

Nope, feel free.

• Definitely not gay.

Guys, does anyone know the feeling of getting stuck on a part in a video game, trying (and failing) to do it by yourself, finally resorting to outside help for something (strategy being big, dumb and obvious in hindsight optional), beating that part and feeling sad because your victory wasn't entirely your doing?

I was just replaying Zelda and I got this feeling. Made me feel relieved, but mostly kind of humiliated and pathetic. I got over it though.