If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

STOP HIDING BANDITS

COME AND FACE ME LIKE REAL MEN

• Champion of the Whales

Do you have horses?

Also, lances are way too OP in vanilla and in most mods

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I have... four mercenary cavalry, plus myself.

But I'm kind of pissed off at mounted combat because I just fought two tournaments in a row and ugh.

• Champion of the Whales

Melee Mounted combat is a POP

Ranged Mounted Combat on the other hand is harder than untieing the Gordian knot while making love while performing open heart surgery while wearing boxing gloves

Well, at least you don't have to move the camera around in three different directions to fight on horseback.

I don't think there's any part of this game's combat that I actually like, so much as I am tolerating it because I like the concept of leading a bunch of men into battle to kill shit.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Lances are awesome, but I noticed that between M&B original and M&B Warband, they were nerfed. They used to deal a bit more damage, I think, and their recovery and regular attack speed was quicker. Lances are still great, but they're mostly good for an initial charge before you pull out a different weapon and go to town closer in. 

With my knightly characters, I like to have my weapon slots filled like so:

• Lance

• Morning star

• Great sword

• Shield

Morning stars are great; they can be used in one or two hands, making them versatile, and they have crushthrough. Mounted or on foot, they make aggressive combat a breeze against most enemies, because I can pretty much just advance and wail on them. The great sword is for poorly-armoured adversaries and single combat of all kinds; due to its long reach, its slight lack of speed isn't a big deal, and it can deal cutting or thrusting damage depending on what I need at the time. This setup pretty much equips me to take on any kind of adversary in close combat.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

God I want to play this game...

• Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!

I share your pain, Saturn. 

Or are you talking about a different game that's not being discussed?

• My arms are falling off!

me irl

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

A game not being discussed. My gif was from the game Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. I was on Neogaf. Looking at the thread for the game is basically like this.

HOLY SHIT OH MY FUCKING GOD SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE PHI'S ENDING WHERE SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERPOSILERSPOERSERLPIPORSEPLESRIOEPSRLRIESOPRSLPEIROSELRP

K'S ENDING K'S ENDING K'S ENDING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-05 02:24:02

Good to know, but...what's good about it? Serious question; I literally know nothing else about the series.

Basically, it was like a cross between Uncharted and Devil May Cry long before either of them happened.  It got a reputation for loltits (which was even weirder because it was PS1 and any tits involved were tetrahedrons) but the games were (mostly) actually solid beyond the fanservice, as were the PS2 remakes.

Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light remains one of my more fond co-op memories.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

a cross between Uncharted and Devil May Cry long before either of them happened

Haven't played Devil May Cry, and while I've watched someone play Uncharted, I never really got the appeal of it.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-05 02:29:58

Think the Indy-esque exploration and platforming of Uncharted, but with gun-fu instead of cover shooter.

Like, instead of a Ninja Warrior contestant, you're Angelina Jolie as Mrs. Smith as a Power Ranger.

Oh.

Yeah, that would probably be better.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-05 02:38:48

Just watch a gameplay video or play one of the demos on Steam if you're interested.  It's one of those games that you can tell pretty quickly if it's to your taste.

• My arms are falling off!

REMIX 10

SUCK IT

• You can change. You can.

I've watched someone play Uncharted, I never really got the appeal of it.

"I'm Indiana Jones as played by a 2000s douchey nerd"

So I've been playing the Prophesy of Pendor mod for Mount & Blade Warband. It's pretty neat. 

Basically, it takes Mount & Blade into something of a fantasy setting, except the elements work as they do in folklore; the elves are dangerous fae folk who can turn on you as easily as help you, objects of magical significance are extremely rare and most applications of sorcery are evil in nature. 

I spent most of the early and mid game up north, in the kingdom of Ravernstern. Up there, I built my initial army and worked as a mercenary in the kingdom's wars. But that dragged on, and I had small intention of becoming a vassal and following more specific orders. Besides, my mercenary pay eventually failed to keep up with the running costs of my army, so I had to do something else. 

I had to establish my own kingdom. 

Now, every territory on the map is, by default, held by someone. So there's no way to take your first territory without starting a war with one of the factions. Therefore, after deciding that I would become a rogue king and rule my own lands, I began to plan. I made friends with lords, scouted, raised my army to higher... heights, and more. Eventually, I settled on Whitestag castle, one of the easternmost castles on the map. It neighbours the Noldor elf forest -- I could take the castle, become friendly with the elves and have them passively defend my kingdom by their presence. They tend to attack most people on sight. 

When I felt I was ready, Whitestag castle fell. Then Valorshield castle. Then Stormshield keep. Then the town of Laria. Then Stormshield keep was taken. Then I took it back again. And here I am now, friends with the elves, with a magic sword and my kingdom based on the military strategies I learned in Ravenstern as a mercenary. In-game, it's been three or four hundred days, and my kingdom is still small time -- one town, three castles and five villages. 

Mind you, I was significantly set back when both the Empire and the kingdom of Sarleon decided to declare war on me at the same time, not to mention that both of them rallied around a marshal for the sake of invading my territory. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

So is anyone else excited about the midnight release of Halo 4?

No?

Just me?

Alright then. 

I've heard it's better than the first three, so I might check it out.

I'm optimistic about it but I also really doubt it's better than the first three.

Maybe mechanically.

Just...Bungie needs to be there to make the story truly shine, IMO.

I mean I'll wait until I play it to really pass judgment, but yeah. 

Well, IMO, the story in the first three was kind of bland. Not outright bad or anything -- there was just nothing interesting there.

Honestly if you found the story bland I have to imagine you just weren't paying attention.

Or you played them after reading a bunch of EU stuff. Which makes it bland by comparison. 

Neither, actually. If there is something in the story that would make it interesting to me, it was very well-hidden.

It didn't help that 2 and 3 were basically one game cut in half.

Well that last thing is an acknowledged fact, they were pushed to make it a trilogy instead of a duology.

As for the rest, well, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe poke around Halopedia a bit. There's a lot of mythology there that's not immediately apparent when playing the games. 

Oh, it's quite possible that the setting is interesting when you know more about it. But in that case, why all the effort to make it seem generic?

It really doesn't seem generic to me.

The first Halo came out before the market was oversaturated with sci-fi shooters (the only two I can think of that were really notable being Half-Life, which is very different despite the manufactured rivalry between the franchises, and Bungie's own Marathon. Also Doom, but fuck Doom.) 

Plus you've got The Flood who are an infinity more interesting than your generic zombies. I dunno, man. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    By being zombie fungus from space?

You can kind of make anything sound stupid by reducing it to its barest components.

Halo isn't particularly well-known for its characterisation or conflicts that don't centre around shooting things. Perhaps the setting is decent, but then one could argue that it's a poor man's Warhammer 40k, anyway.