If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I have arrived at Ehlerdah, where King Harlaus told me Shulk of Curaw could be found.

However, when I arrived there, the town had been looted, and Shulk of Curaw was nowhere to be found. :(

• If you can i highly recommend sinking a few points into the training stat so your troops can gain experience outside of battle, thereby allowing you to upgrade troops and outclass those pesky bandits.

Also laying siege is hilariously once you have 150± mid level troops
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm more looking for ways to keep my funds up, because without a pool of funds to pull from, I can't afford to get higher-leveled troops.

Unfortunately, there are no bandits like, anywhere, these days, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to get money (as I would rather not turn around and pillage villagers, and my troops are not tough enough to survive a siege even on that dickhead purple kingdom.

However, it's a moot point, as the demo only lasts for 3- in-game days.

• When it comes to pillaging i tend to be fairly ruthless as tends to be a relatively short phase of the game before you start annexing territories and earning a stable income. And if you play wfas you can always borrow from cities to make up any shortfall

It would just make me feel terrible to pillage people, especially as I lost so many of my troops defending villages from being pillaged already.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Alternatively, you can "tax" caravans. When you're affiliated with a kingdom, you can also loot enemy caravans with no loss to honour, if that matters to you. All without hurting any villagers, which I also tend to avoid unless absolutely necessary. 

However, it's a moot point, as the demo only lasts for 3- in-game days.

I meant to say 30 there, not 3, sorry.

Yeah, I can't play it any more, the demo ran out. So, moot point.

I totally would have taxed caravans though. :(

I wonder if I could torrent Mount and Blade until I can afford to buy it.

Pretty easy. 

Bam. Done.

(i will now create a new game and create a woman who focuses very heavily on crossbows. what soldiers should i recruit and how should i use them so that i don't die again and how should i get money)

Well that was quick.

Alrighty. If you're torrenting until you can buy the full game, it might be worthwhile to essentially make this a "test" character and place your aims around coming to grips with the game rather than succeeding as effectively as possible. 

If you want to be a crossbowman(lady?), then I suggest stocking up on a reasonably even mix of missile infantry and heavy infantry. The Rhodock faction already does this really well, so if you just recruit from their villages, then you'll have all the upgrade options you'll need for this strategy. Mind you, going without cavalry is tough for a beginner, but to use cavalry effectively, you have to be mounted and mobile yourself. 

Basically, you can do the hill thing I mentioned above against most enemies. Missile troops at the top of a hill, heavy infantry on the rise. Your heavy infantry take the charge as the missile troops continue pelting the enemy, unmolested. You can use the "move closer" command to make your troops form ranks, too, and this is very effective when using heavy infantry against cavalry; the cavalry will get stuck and promptly mobbed by the infantry around them. For missile troops, spreading them out is more effective, as they'll block one-another's line of sight if they're too close. 

Here's some good ways to get money, ordered in how appropriate they are from early game first to the late game:

• Fighting small bands of enemies and selling their loot. 

• Becoming a mercenary captain for a faction, which is unlikely to pay all your costs, but it takes a lot of pressure off in some cases.

• Looting villages, or forcing the villagers to give you supplies.  

• Taxing or looting caravans.

• Defeating enemy armies. This could go any number of places on the list, because sometimes you'll spy worn-out enemy armies with as few as 20 troops -- at other times, enemy armies might be reaching towards 300. But the rewards are generally good, so if it's within your means, then it's a good idea to fight. 

• Buying businesses in towns. This can require an investment of anything from 2000 to 10,000 denars, but it gives you some financial security as long as you remain friendly with the town's lord. 

• Becoming a vassal/rogue monarch and owning land. Villages give a bit of cash, castles more, and towns the most. If you become a vassal and want more lands, having good relations with the king and perhaps a few other nobles helps quite a lot. You also get a bonus to your chances of receiving a castle or town if you initiated the assault on it. 

• Definitely not gay.

no no sword of mana

what are you doing

why do i have to swing my sword in a particular direction

to hit a bat

no no that's wrong 

If you want to be a crossbowman(lady?), then I suggest stocking up on a reasonably even mix of missile infantry and heavy infantry.

I would rather recruit from three factions, as those factions would then become my default 'I like this faction, let's become friendly and not piss it off and attack all the other factions' ones.

So, Rhodock would be good for a mix of heavy infantry and missile infantry. Is there a faction which specializes in producing the best missile infantry, and another faction which produces good heavy infantry (or cavalry, if that's a worthwhile investment even if I can't pull off cavalry myself)?

Basically, you can do the hill thing I mentioned above against most enemies. Missile troops at the top of a hill, heavy infantry on the rise.

I still don't understand how to do this.

I would rather recruit from three factions, as those factions would then become my default 'I like this faction, let's become friendly and not piss it off and attack all the other factions' ones.

So, Rhodock would be good for a mix of heavy infantry and missile infantry. Is there a faction which specializes in producing the best missile infantry, and another faction which produces good heavy infantry (or cavalry, if that's a worthwhile investment even if I can't pull off cavalry myself)?

Rhodocks have the best missile infantry in terms of raw power, being comprised of elite crossbowmen. The Sarranids, directly to the east of them, have the best archery, equal with the Vaegirs. What makes Sarranid archers better is their increased capacity to hold their own in close combat, although Rhodock crossbowmen are the best at this anyway. Swadia, to the north of the Rhodocks, has a great balance of troop types with the best heavy cavalry. The Nords, to the north of Swadia, have the best close combat infantry. However, trying to collect all these different troop types would be a hassle given the distance each faction is from the other. Your best bet is to choose two factions and make your "hub" around a major town close to a border. 

Given that the Rhodocks provide both things you need, I suggest making them one of the nearby factions for you. Swadian crossbowmen and infantry work like a poor man's Rhodock in a pinch, so they're a good backup, plus they have fantastic heavy cavalry. The Sarranid heavy cavalry is merely the second best in the game, however, and you get the best archers from them as well. All that said, Nord archery, while being far from the best, is considered the most cost-effective -- you simply get the most bang for buck out of them, although you really begin to lose out at the higher troop tiers. 

I still don't understand how to do this.

Alrighty. In battle, you press backspace to bring up the command menu. There are three basic troop types; infantry, archers and cavalry. While you're in the world map, you can check your party to see which troop type occupies each type, although it should be fairly obvious. More importantly, though, you can change what commands a troop type responds to by putting them in a different group. For instance, if you want a small selection of heavy infantry to act with your archers, you can make one type of heavy infantry into the "archer" type. This won't give them ranged weapons or anything, but it does mean you can modify your strategies around something like giving your archers direct close combat backup. Most importantly, though, you can create new distinctions; if you want two different groups of missile troops, you could create a type called "crossbowmen" and put all your crossbows in that type, thereby allowing each type of missile troop to act under independent orders. 

When you press backspace in a battle, you get an overhead map of the area, plus the relative positions of all the troops on the battlefield. In addition, you get a selector that allows you to issue commands and define which troops get which commands. You click on the tickbox next to a troop type to select/unselect them specifically, or on the troop type's distinction (archer, infantry, cavalry, ect) to select or unselect in groups. For instance, pressing the tick box next to the "archer" group means you're only selecting or only deselecting archers; pressing "archers" and "infantry" on the text means you might be selecting both groups and giving them the same orders. Basically, though, which troops you'll actually be ordering around will be highlighted, so it's pretty clear. 

Under those types, you have a range of different commands you can use. There are formation commands on the far left, action commands just to the right ("charge", "hold position", "follow me", "stand ground"), mount/dismount options to the right of that, and weapon selection options to the far right. For the most part, I only worry about formation commands and action commands. 

So, to specifically move your archers to the top of a hill and your infantry to the slope, you'd do this:

• Make sure your archers and infantry are both selected, and issue the "follow me" command. 

• Go to the top of the hill, and give only the archers a "hold position" command.

• Go somewhat down the hill, towards the enemy, and give only the infantry a "hold position" command. During this stage or afterwards, you'll also want to give them the "move closer" command, depending on the enemies you're facing. I like to make two or three ranks, perhaps even four if I'm against cavalry and I can maintain the frontage to prevent them from getting through to my missile troops.

• Go back up the hill to rejoin your missile troops and shoot to your heart's content. 

I gotta say; I'm learning to like the cavalry position.

I was just facing eleven deserters, and they killed all of my Rhodock tribesmen before they could kill any of them. So I strafed around them, and managed to knock out seven of them before I was knocked off my horse.

However, trying to collect all these different troop types would be a hassle given the distance each faction is from the other. Your best bet is to choose two factions and make your "hub" around a major town close to a border. 

I don't mind the hassle though.

Hrm.

I started off in Rhodock. This is right next to Swadia.

I think I will make Swadia my hub. This provides me easy access to Swadians, Rhodocks, Nords, Sarranid, and Khergit.

I will have my forces comprised mostly of Rhodock, Swadians, and Sarranids, and I think I shall go harass Khergits for a while.

No Sarranids want me to hire them :(

Deserters are generally pretty hardcore; unlike looters or bandits, they're professional troop tier units, often from around the middle or above of the troop trees. And yeah, fighting from horseback is pretty neat; wait until you pull off a couched lance charge. 

I have nobody to fight. :(

Happens from time to time, until you're a merc captain or a vassal. Time like this, you can always try to track down a tournament. When you're higher level and more confident in combat, you can try placing a bet on yourself to make some pretty significant cash. 

• edited 2012-11-03 08:06:10
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I have gone to tournaments.

The issue is... there are plenty of people around that I could fight, but none of my troops are tough enough to take them on. I want to try taking on caravans, but they have fucking caravan guards, who are cavalry and annihilate everything ever.

• Champion of the Whales

>Playing a Mount and Blade mod

>Swabian Lord asks me to attack a village or a caravan belonging to the desert folk

>Can't find a caravan for love nor money

>Can't attack a village

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Bought all the Ultimas on GOG. Total cost: $12.

Also, saw that someone on Amazon with a really good seller rating was selling a boxed copy of VII with all of its contents in good condition for the somewhat absurd price of $10, so I grabbed that too.

Overall, today is a good day for buying things cheap ^_^

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I was bored and decided to try CS:GO when it was still free for the weekend.

It's...surprisingly fun, despite being one of the poster children for awful military shooters. That is until someone who knows what they're doing comes in and repeatedly kicks my ass.

• From what I heard, there's nothing particularly bad about it, except that it's pretty much exactly the same as regular Counter Strike, so it's kind of unnecessary.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Welp, I'm all done with 999. Caught up on the batshit insane story, and very much excited to play the sequel. That probably won't be in the cards until around Christmas.

• Kill them! KILL THEM ALL!

Well, after reading this page I want to play Mount and Blade. 

Could be a nice thing to play in-between now and the day Rome Total War 2 is released.

• They're somethin' else.

Ugh, Miyamoto, come on.