If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

That's not 100% true; some monsters have identical or similar animations even if some of their behaviour is different, so some become training for later adversaries. Even when it's not a 1:1 match, you can take your previous experiences and apply them to future engagements. For instance, Qurupeco is basic training for Rathian -- while Rathian is by far a tougher adversary, your previous experience gained in fighting a large, flying monster will come in handy. Likewise, the Royal Ludroth acts as preparation for Lagiacrus. Hell, I think there's some similarities between the Great Jaggi and Barroth, too. 

So while it certainly pays to observe for new patterns, also keep in mind what worked for previous encounters. You can modify those tactics for a new context, too, and you might learn that certain monsters have different preferred haunts and thus prepare accordingly. One tricky thing to do is to set down a trap in an area you know only that monster visits (perhaps even their nest) and fight them into it. 

• If that don't work, use more gun.

I just got my hands on Super Meat Boy, and man, it's awesome!  One of the best platformers I've ever played in a long time!

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-10 11:46:10

I think I may snatch up Monster Hunter Tri sometime. Is it possible for us to meet up for an online quest?

In other news, the Sniper is becoming one of my favorite classes in Team Fortress 2.

• They're somethin' else.

probably once school is over. I gave it a try, and I like what I see so far. Though wow, this borrows a lot of sound fx from Capcom fighting games lol. I'm half expecting one of those dinos to pull off a Shun Goku Satsu.

• edited 2012-05-10 12:41:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Just beat Ghost Man and Pyre Man in Mega Man Revolution.  Thanks, whoever it was that pointed me to this!  (Sorry I can't find who it was because I don't remember which thread it was in)

• Tried KoF13.

SNK still has cheap ass bosses I see.
  • Kichigai birthday!!

Just beat the Boost Guardian in Prime 2.

Dear Boost Guardian:

• edited 2012-05-10 16:37:41

I HATE MAGNET BLOCKS IN SLYDRIS

(sorry my earlier post about this was in the wrong thread)

but in other news...

TOBE'S VERTICAL ADVENTURE NOW HAS A STANDALONE DESURA VERSION!!!  No longer need to start Steam just to play it!

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    That feel when a large portion of games discussed here are games I've yet to play and thus can't contribute much to the conversation.

need maaaaaaaahney

Better yet, maek gaem. 

I've just begun learning C#. 

• edited 2012-05-10 17:28:31
    We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    I remember taking a summer gaem deezain course a long time ago. I made a shitty three-level platformer where you were a ghost and the final boss was a clown head.

And remember, kids. Never type on a mobile device if you have Hill Giant hands.
  • I want to start on creating my own game, I just need to figure out the game I want to make. 

Actually, while I'm on the topic of mobile devices, mine is getting me to dig rougelikes.
  • edited 2012-05-10 17:37:02
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ That's usually the easiest bit. 

It pretty much boils down to

• What do I think is cool?

• What kind of experiences and mechanics go with it?

Sometimes, though, mechanics sort of jump out at you and suggest ideas on their own. 

• Right now I'm torn between a metroidvania, a 2D zelda clone or a 2D platformer in the vein of Wario Land 2&3.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What sort of game do you want it to be in a non-gameplay sense? What do you want the experience of playing it to feel like?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@MacDuffy: There's an absolutely huge amount of older games available for free, both legally and less-than-legally.  Among them are numerous gems.  What systems are you interested in?

• edited 2012-05-10 19:46:35
    Well, the only emulators I've gotten a substantial amount of use out of are for the GBA and the SNES, and once for the N64. The N64 one was only because: A. I've never played a Banjo Kazooie game, and B: I really, really, really wanted to play Jet Force Gemini again.

System-wise, it doesn't matter to me much.
  • edited 2012-05-10 19:47:51

The following lists are NOT meant to be comprehensive; they're just all that I have experience with.

Interesting NES games: Super Mario Bros. 3, Castlevania III, The Legend of Zelda, Felix the Cat, Duck Tales, Hebereke (a.k.a. U-four-ia), Mega Man 3 through 6, Parodius, Adventure Island IV, Paperboy 2

Interesting SNES games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Super Castlevania IV, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Terranigma, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Star Fox 2, Mega Man X 1 through 3, Bust-a-Move (a.k.a. Puzzle Bobble), The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past, E.V.O., Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, Kirby Super Star, Super Metroid

Interesting Genesis games: Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines (a.k.a. Castlevania: the New Generation)

Interesting GB/SGB/GBC games: Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal, Mega Man V, Dragon Quest I & II, Tail Gator, Tetris, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Volley Fire, Donkey Kong '94, Pokémon Trading Card Game

Interesting N64 games: Star Fox 64 (sorry, I'm not particularly familiar with this system)

Interesting GBA games: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Scurge: Hive (also on DS), Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Shaman King: Master of Spirits, Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, Fire Emblem (a.k.a. Fire Emblem: the Blazing Sword), Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Golden Sun (and its second half, Golden Sun: the Lost Age), Mega Man Battle Network, Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: the Pumpkin King

Interesting PS1 games: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Einhänder

Interesting DS games: A Witch's Tale, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Monster Tale, Scurge: Hive (also on GBA), Nostalgia, Mega Man ZX

Interesting freeware PC games: Cave Story, Eversion, Grid Wars, Guardian of Paradise, La-Mulana, Lyle in Cube Sector, Rockman 7 FC (8-bit remake of Mega Man 7), Rockman 8 FC (8-bit remake of Mega Man 8), Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Return, Nethack, Return of Egypt, Stealth Bastard, Spelunky, Stepmania, Syobon Action, Verge

Interesting f2p PC games: Team Fortress 2, Eden Eternal

Other interesting PC games: Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, Aquaria, Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale, Portal, Defy Gravity (including Extended edition), Crayon Physics (including Deluxe edition), Terraria, The Island of Dr. Brain, Saira, And Yet It Moves, Midnight Rescue, Slydris

• edited 2012-05-10 19:55:03
    I've actually played a fair chunk of the games on that list, mostly the Super Nintendo games. I'll definitely give the ones I haven't a go.

Tell me more of this Felix The Cat game....
  • edited 2012-05-10 20:18:15

Relatively simple platformer with pretty tight controls, crisp graphics, and nice music.

There exists a GB port of the same game, but the NES version is much better.

Now I am having the maaaahneys.

I've been thinking of getting Dawn of War II. What's IJBM's opinion of that game?

• edited 2012-05-11 20:40:39
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^It should be obvious what my opinion of it is but anyway, it probably has the best single player campaign I have ever seen in an RTS. Also Last Stand mode is endless fun.

Dawn of War II is a superior combat RTS to Dawn of War, but unfortunately it removed base building, which pretty much ruins logistical depth in gameplay. Mind you, it's great fun to actually get out there and fight, and the SP campaign is brilliant because all your logistical stuff happens between missions, but multiplayer and all that takes a hit because of the lack of base-building concerns. It also means that pushes towards the enemy are much less interesting. 

What the game really does right is the battlefield warfare of 40k, and it's more accurate to the lore than many previous games, but those came at a pretty significant cost. On the bright side, Tyranids, who are marvellous fun to fight against and play as. 

• But you never had any to begin with.

Of course, DoW had a totally different problem: Necrons are broken as all hell.

Yep. Awesome, easily accessible basic troops with a peerless economy. 

• edited 2012-05-12 08:02:53
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^As broken as Eldar?

• edited 2012-05-12 09:14:05
    A few hours into the game, and I'm really enjoying it. I dig the level of customization you can put into heroes, and the visuals are really appealing, even at the shitty rendering I have to place it at to keep the game from turning into a slideshow.

Also, Pirate Ork is the best thing.
  • Definitely not gay.

I wanna try MARVEL SUPER HEROES - WAR OF THE GEMS.

Does it suck?