If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> It was like a gig and a half. Which isn't huge.

> a gig and a half

> isn't huge

angry what george volcano

• edited 2012-05-06 20:16:28
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    For a game? Most non-sprite based PC games these days are a lot more than that.

Doesn't mean it isn't huge.  1 gig takes at least a couple hours to download.  And get several of those together and you're talking a pretty noticeable dent in space usage of even a 320 GB hard drive.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It's not like I can't just delete it if I decide it's not worth playing.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

1 GB isn't that big at all, 8-10 is when I'd start to call a game big.

• edited 2012-05-06 20:54:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Unfortunately with those games that I have to make an account to play, I really feel I ought to keep in mind that i've made an account there just in case anything funny happens so I know where to look and what to suspect.

Also, I call a game big if it takes upwards of an hour to download.  Or is a gig or bigger.  My backup drive (less than 160 GB total size) is already full, and my current drive (about 300 GB) is also well more than half full already.

• edited 2012-05-06 21:14:37
    "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

What is your speedtest rating, glen? A gig takes a little over an hour for me to download at my internet speed (approx. 256 KB/sec). That's a D rating on speedtest.

• Tried MH online tonight.

Connection error out the wazoo. And I have the best connection out of the three of us.

^^ I think I have roughly half that down speed.

Look, I game on a budget, okay?

Maybe gaming really is an upper-middle-class hobby...

• League of Legends is nice about not paying, the only things you can't buy without real money are skins. The only things you have to buy are champions (characters) for which there are many very cheap ones and a per-week rotation of champions you can play for free, and runes (stat increases) which only matter at the max. level, after you've been playing for quite a while and at which point you should have enough to buy a whole set (if I understand correctly, I'm not at or close to the max. level). Though since different champions use different stats, you might need more than one set and that really gets costly.

Anyhow, my issue with LoL is that it's, well, frustrating to play, you have to pay much attention for about 45 minutes and throughout that time a single mistake (easy to make) is likely to cost you and your 4 allies the game, and it's one of those games where you have no chance to win well before you actually lose, so it really stings.

I kinda want to play it now.

This sounds a lot like Rise of Immortals.  Is it like Rise of Immortals?

• Judging from 5 minutes worth of YouTube, yeah.

Yeah, that might explain why people were talking League of Legends so much when I checked the RoI Steam forum subforum during the winter sale (when they had a winter sale achievement).

FYI RoI was my first exposure to the moba or dota genre at all.  I've played AoE though so I knew the controls at least.

• Has friends besides tanks now

IJBM: I want to get one of the new Pokemon games, but my current DS is kinda old, and I want a new one, if only a better-looking one. Specifically, an Onyx Black DS Lite. But they're still fairly expensive, even on Amazon. Not sure if worth it. Maybe for a graduation present? And then there's the matter of selling the old one, which I still really just don't want anymore.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Not a 3DS?

Is the 3DS worth it? Honest question; I'm kinda clueless.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'd say so, yeah. Especially considering that they're developing 3DS-exclusive games.

• edited 2012-05-07 10:55:47
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think so. The 3D-as-the-marketing-focus thing is kinda dumb because it makes a lot of people think that's the only difference. Overall it's a DS with a lot of improved features, better graphics, an analog stick, etc. There aren't a lot of exclusive games for it just yet, but that was true of the DS when it first came out too, and will obviously change over time, so you'll likely want to get one at some point, so if you get it now, then you won't wind up buying a new system twice.

The only complaint I have about it is no GBA slot, though that's true of the recent DS models as well.

Okay. Thanks, you two.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm really glad I got mine before the price cut; the free games (well, the ones I've had time to play) were pretty awesome.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm really glad I got mine before the price cut; the free games (well, the ones I've had time to play) were pretty awesome.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Finally got to a point in Devil Survivor 2 where my ass was grounded into the pavement. Good thing too. I was beginning to think I wasn't playing a Shin Megami Tensei game.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-07 11:57:23

If you're snatching up a 3DS, I'd recommend Mario 3D Land and possibly Kid Icarus first. The remakes like OOT and Star Fox are nice and all, but the only real new feature beyond graphical and control upgrades is portability.

Also, in the future, you may want to get a regular DS second-hand too, because the 3DS butchers the resolution of DS games a bit. Not to the point of being unrecognizable, but the colors are washed out and it looks less crisp.

• edited 2012-05-07 11:57:39

Kid Icarus? Really? I've heard nothing good about it. Isn't it the game that shipped with a stand for your system because the game's controls are physically difficult?

I'd recommend Devil Survivor: Overclocked, personally.

Also, in the future, you may want to get a regular DS too, because the 3DS butchers the resolution of DS games.

Um...I haven't noticed that at all. I mean, there's a black border around the edge of the top screen because it's higher resolution than a DS screen, but otherwise it's identical.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

According to Yahtzee, but then again he also refused to alter the control scheme for greater comfort despite the option being available. 

• edited 2012-05-07 12:03:36

I wasn't going on Yahtzee, I was going on, well, literally every description I've heard about the game. I mean, they had to release a peripheral to make holding the system easier, which to me does indicate that there's a problem.

• Kichigai birthday!!

>I've heard nothing good about it.

That's weird, I've only heard good things about it. And this was on /v/

• edited 2012-05-07 12:13:14
    We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    I have the game, and love the hell out of it. It's easily one of the best handheld games I've ever played.

I have almost no idea what people are talking about when they say Uprising has physically painful controls. Sure, they're a little strenuous. For the first two minutes you ever use them.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

For what it's worth, I've heard that the peripheral isn't necessary for whatever reason.