If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-10-14 16:59:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I want to get Network Transmission because the music is FREAKING AWESOME.

That's all I know about it.

Oh, and there's something that you have to kill an enemy 200 times for, but at least it's in a place where you'll be enjoying Pharaohman's theme the whole time.

• But the gameplay itself is ridiculously awful and you can just download (or even buy, I guess) the soundtrack and listen to it whenever you want.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >Oh, and there's something that you have to kill an enemy 200 times for, but at least it's in a place where you'll be enjoying Pharaohman's theme the whole time.

But you won't play that part even if you get the game, because you would have to be a masochist to keep going past the first level.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-14 22:07:35

Dude, if you thought Battle Network 1 was hard, its trickiest bits are about half as difficult as normal stuff later in the series.  Hell, even Bass in MMBN1 was easier than most story bosses in 2, and it only goes for the jugular even faster as the series goes on.  The first game is just to ease you into the gameplay.  And the LifeVirus was a complete pussy because you could dodge all but one of his attacks by standing still in the back corner.  Also, Gutsman and TriLance were very easy to stack up and ridiculously powerful.

I remember making a comparison that slip-ups you can make on MMBN1 bosses and still S-rank them will get you maybe rank 6-7 in the second game, a narrow clear at best in the third, and outright killed in anything after.  Oh, and bosses also have 2-4 times as much HP.

Oh, and the non-regenerating health thing during the Power Plant is how all the rest of the games play all the time.  You heal with menu items, Recov chips, and jacking out.

• Wait, I remember 3 being harder than 5 and 6... of course, I played those significantly later, and had more experience, but I have a hard time believing a boss from 5 or 6 could be more bullshit than BassOmega.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-14 23:07:46

The post-endgame content varies a bit, I guess.  I dunno, you could spend half of the Bass Omega fight hiding behind a Rook, laughing like an idiot, and waiting for Northwind.  Most of it was just folder setup to be able to blast him really effing hard before he aura'd back up.

• Poot dispenser here

Beat Borderlands 2 for the first time. I think I'll wait for the first campaign DLC to come out and just stick with my Commando.

• edited 2012-10-15 04:15:52
    But you never had any to begin with.

Oh, and the non-regenerating health thing during the Power Plant is how all the rest of the games play all the time.  You heal with menu items, Recov chips, and jacking out.

The difference here is that MMBN 1 fights were "balanced" (and I use that term lightly) to take the after battle regeneration into account. Besides which, MMBN2 (and I assume later) allows you to just default a healing chip so you don't have to just hope it pops up. And besides which, I never said MMBN 1 was hard.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

After I beat MMBN1 I just got bored because wandering the internet to find the special navis was a bit annoyingly confusing as the internet was confusingly mapped.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-10-15 20:08:49

I'm playing through Rainslick Precipice 3.  This game is really, really poorly optimized.  A sprite RPG shouldn't be bogging me down this badly and getting audio lag in cutscenes.

On the flipside, I know the moment I walk into a dungeon floor how big it is based on how much my framerate tanks.  They still needed to cull offscreen drawing though.  Even if you didn't tile the image, you can still draw only a segment of it slightly larger than the viewport.  Bad programmers. *rolled newspaper*

On a related note, I've been getting audio lag in a lot of games lately, usually in really simple stuff.  Has there been a recent compatibility disaster lately or something?

• Poot dispenser here

You sure your audio driver isn't on the fritz?

• Silence is golden.

This should be mandatory reading for any carbon-based creature tangentially involved in the video game writing field. And their readership too, however how futile it is.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Okay wow, I had to stop reading that after like a couple paragraphs.

How do people get so mad over something so infinitely dumb? 

• They're somethin' else.

He just called Cave Story shitty.

Okay. It's not like I was going to take him seriously from the beginning anyway.

I skimmed the article; does it basically say "you can't compare videogames in any truly unbiased way so top lists are kinda pointless"?

I agree with that, but add that top lists are great ways to find out the interests/tastes of the list-maker.

The article's kind of silly and ranty, from what I skimmed through.

^^I wouldn't call it shitty, but I really can't call the game "good" without appending "for a game of that size made by a single person."

• They're somethin' else.

In all seriousness, this is why I love websites like Hardcore Gaming 101. It lets me research games I wouldn't normally play if i was just some ordinary dolt.

• edited 2012-10-16 01:44:05
    If that don't work, use more gun.

In the past, I would've called Cave Story a good game. But now? Age got to it. I really can't recommend that game to people anymore. It's nothing spectacular by today's standards, and the parts that affected the ending went from slightly annoying, to shit that you shouldn't be pulling in game design.

• Definitely not gay.

but I really can't call the game "good" without appending "for a game of that size made by a single person."

Yeah, a LOT of the oversights can be explained by the game being made by one dude.

It's nothing spectacular by today's standards, and the parts that affected the ending went from slightly annoying, to shit that you shouldn't be pulling in game design.

I dunno about you, but I always thought Hell Temple was the bonus level that most people never found out about/were too lazy to get to. Like the Doomsday Zone in S3&K.

I think it was good enough--especially the story and the music--that I still think it ranks as a great game.

• journlolism

Entire article is invalidated.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Just finished Lollipop Chainsaw. It was good and worth playing for the characters and comedy alone, but gameplay could have done with some definite polish.

On a mood whiplash note I also just started Spec Ops the line. The first mission didn't really do much other than remind me why I don't often play shooters. Presumably it will impress me more as time goes one.

It deliberately starts out being a crappy shooter. Then stuff happens.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, like I said I fully intend to play more of it later this week once the short-skirted cheerleader and zombie-gore high wears off.

• Poot dispenser here

Yeah, once you get past the initial insurgents, things get more interesting.

• I am currently enjoying XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It is quite amazing. I enjoy the feel, the enemies (especilly the Thin Men), the music and... general lot of stuff in it.

• Definitely not gay.

I think it was good enough--especially the story and the music--that I still think it ranks as a great game.

I agree with you on the gameplay, but the story is a bit iffy in some parts. There are a LOT of plotholes and the characters weren't really fleshed out all that well. I really liked Cave Story's exploration of video games as a narrative, though. I think that worked out well.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Starting playing/reading (playding?) Ever17. Only on Day 2 of Kid's route, but it's interesting so far. Between this and 999, though, I'm starting to wonder what Kotaro Uchikoshi's obsession with drowning is.

• Maybe it's like the Earthbound guy and that creepy movie he walked in on as a kid, but it he was playing Sonic instead and drowned.

da DA da DA di DI di DI da DA da DA di DI di DI daDA daDA diDI diDI daDA daDA diDI diDI daDAdaDAdiDIdiDIdaDAdaDAdiDIdiDIdaDAdaDAdiDIdiDIdaDAdaDAdiDIdiDI DA!