If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, FF has had more chances for exposure.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Anyone here play Battle For Wesnoth? I got into it recently.

If you don't know, freeware (genuine freeware, no pay-to-actually-do-anything bullshit) TBS. The setting's pretty typical high fantasy but it manages to make it work for it. There's also about almost a dozen campaigns that come with the game (not counting the tutorial), that's before you even download any more of them (there are a lot of fanmaps).

There's also a pretty strong multiplayer component but I haven't gotten a chance to do anything with that yet. 

I've had its website bookmarked for a few years now, but still haven't gotten around to trying it out.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I've played it a few times. Seems okay.

I think it's pretty cool, personally.

I do find it weird that some units have variable genders and some don't (it is impossible, for instance, to get a female horseman, but totally possible to get a female mage).

I guess it's done in the interest of accuracy of some sort, but still. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Well, FF has had more chances for exposure.

Fair enough, but the game moved almost a million units which was pretty impressive for the era. It's not like it's an unknown.

• Final Fantasy is like Gundam.  Not every entry in it is great, but it's been going for a long time and had enough big hits that it's a extremely iconic franchise.

Also because both franchises had an explosion of popularity in the mid-90s when they tried to appeal to girls by adding angsty bishounen.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Anyone here play Battle For Wesnoth? I got into it recently.

Used to play it. The game's balance is shot to hell, stopped playing it ages ago.

How long ago did you stop playing it?

I only ask because it's been updated continuously since it was made, so that might not be a problem anymore. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

How long ago did you stop playing it?

When I was sixteen, but unless they significantly toned down Undead, I really doubt it.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Been playing through Dishonored. The combat and stealth is fun enough, although you really need Dark Vision 2 get get the most out of it. I also love the living heart power, how she whispers secrets about whatever person I point her at. Turns out most of my allies who want to overthrow the fascist government are also assholes, who want to do it more for selfish reasons than to help the people. Realism everybody~~!

• Kichigai birthday!!

Why can't more Indie games be like this? The graphics are good looking instead of "you play as a blue square and the enemies are red squares so retro and 8-bit",the adventure-rhythm game idea is pretty interesting, it has a likeable main character instead of a pixelly stick figure and the creator isn't all "gibe moni to make game"

• edited 2012-10-12 21:42:40

Most indie game developers are programmers who aren't very good at art or music and don't have access to anyone who is.  Quality assets take a lot of time and money to make, after all.  And furthermore, as much as people don't want to admit it, indie game development is just as bad about following-the-leader as AAA games are, except without any actual excuse.

Also, I was very happy to hear uen in that video.  And that game looks cool and I want to play it.

Well, every creative medium has a lot of follow-the-leader-ness anyway.  This is inevitable.

What are the songs used in that video?  I only recognize the first track, which is basically a jazz-band-y remix of a Yoshi's Island level theme.

Is "uen" the one that sounds like speed metal + J-pop?

• "uen" is the one where it says "uen" at the top of the screen when it's playing.

Also, hopefully that will give you the answers to your other question.

• edited 2012-10-12 23:56:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh.  Duh.

And yes, that's the song I like.

Though "tonight"doesn't sound bad either.

See, pixel art games can look awesome!

And I hope these songs get released on a free pack or something after this game comes out.

Oh, has anyone played A Valley Without Wind?  If so, how good is it?

• Um... they're all songs from Bemani games...

...Isn't Bemani an official Konami thing?

They got a remix of a Nintendo track?

• edited 2012-10-13 00:01:24

I meant except for the Nintendo song.

Or rather, read the video description, silly!

Though actually the answer to that question would be yes, since there was that one Mario DDR game.  But that has nothing to do with this video.

Oh, has anyone played A Valley Without Wind?  If so, how good is it?

From the portion of the demo I played, it's like Terraria would be if Terraria wasn't very good.

• edited 2012-10-13 02:04:49
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Playing more Alpha Protocol. Finished Rome and Moscow. This game is really good so far. I'd heard it was buggy, but haven't seen much in terms of that. One enemy got stuck in a wall, but that's it, and in 10 hours that isn't bad. Did it get patched or something?

So, I was about to go to bed.

Then I decided to play a level or two of SOTL.

And now I'm not about to go to bed. 

Kinda unfortunate that these music games inevitably have to use new music to start up as opposed to existing intellectual property.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    "Tonight" is from Rhythm Heaven
  • it has a likeable main character instead of a pixelly stick figure

Hey, I liked the pixelly stick figure in Swords & Sworcery, and the music is awesome too.

• I'm a damn twisted person

-checks out the Tuba Croc vid-

Wow, I'm not really even much of a fan of rhythm games, but this game does look pretty fun. Well more it's general sense of personality I guess.

Just noticed that Batman NES's wall jump looks like Castlevania: Circle of the Moon's wall jump.

• Definitely not gay.

Beat Maridia.

I kinda found Draygon's death animation to be kinda sweet, in a fucked-up alien shrimp fetus kind of way. His kids went down with his corpse!

I found it a bit unsettling for that last reason.

• Definitely not gay.

But Evirs are so cute!