If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The first area is quite easy to solo. In fact, much of it is built to solo- although you can do it on harder difficulties with a party, which provides you with better rewards.

Also, fucking hell, all the non-starter shields have an AC penalty I don't want to put up with :/

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Finished the quest with the crypt and cultists and stuff.

So far, so good. The interface is kinda meh, but they did a really good job with the overall feel of the game.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, the UI is kind of a pain in the ass. I still have only bothered to use Smite Evil so far, which is probably stupid when I have Sunder and stuff but whatever.

I don't even know how to hotkey Lay On Hands :/

Okay, latency has gotten annoying.

Twice now it's interfered with combat. The first time, the cultist managed to get me down to 8 out of 32 HP before I reconnected to the server.

This time, I was facing five enemies, and I just plain outright died.

Computer crashed during the tavern defense quest :/

Probably need to go to bed anyway.

Yes. Go to bed.

Play through to the non-starting zone tomorrow, then I have people to team up with and a reason to team up c:

I will if I have time; I have work tomorrow.

Yeah, probably. I have schoolwork to do, too.

But still.

• edited 2012-10-20 07:00:11
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

re: DDO, the storytelling gets somewhat less linear (or at least less linear feeling) when you get to Stormreach.

And I recommend turning the DM off. She's annoying as hell, and her text appears on screen, fully readable anyway.

If anyone gets to Level 3, I have a cleric who would love to meet you. Anyone just starting out, I have an Elf Wizard I can partner up with y'all, since soloing as a Wizard (especially a necromancer) is close to impossible and difficult even early on in the game. 

As for comparisons to other MMOs, I have no idea how it stacks up mostly cuz I don't really play other MMOs. I have a City of Heroes character I play with every now and again (Helios the Sun-God. He is better than you.) but that's about it. I also tried WoW a few years ago but got sick of the hilariously bitchy community really fast, and it's impossible to do anything without a party, and I generally prefer soloing just because I find communicating while playing a game to be exceedingly difficult. 

• edited 2012-10-20 07:47:19
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If anyone gets to Level 3, I have a cleric who would love to meet you.

Dude, I have a Paladin. That's like, a Cleric, who can actually enter combat. In DDO terms, at least.

Nah, I'm just joking. But the Paladin can essentially do everything the Cleric is good at, although less well, plus has one of the highest defences in the game (Only a fully buffed and stanced Fighter can exceed a Paladin's AC, and Paladins can always multiclass for the Fighter's feats).

Plus, I will never ever get tired of seeing this when I get into combat:

miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Does your Paladin know Summon Monster?

fiik

I can't make heads or tails of what spells I do or do not know. I know I have Smite Evil and Lay On Hands, which are Paladin abilities, but spellcasting? Fuck that.

• edited 2012-10-20 08:36:33
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Spellcasting is pretty simple. Open your character sheet, it's in there.

Now, what spells you know and what spells you have on hand are different. You should see a fairly large list, most of which will be greyed out. The ones you have on hand (that is, you can use right now) are gonna be full color.

As for casting them, exactly like using any other ability from the hotbar. Targeting is sometimes a bitch though (ProTip: you can "lock" onto a target by right clicking, rather than left clicking on them).

You can change what you have prepared (on hand) by visiting a tavern. At least you can for Clerics and Wizards, I know it's different for Sorcerers and Favored Souls. 

Also we should totally play together sometime today. You're level one, yet, right? You and my wizard could team up. 

I know how to do it. I just can't make heads nor tails of it because I keep expecting it to work one way, but it really works another.

I'm just too used to the tabletop version of the game, I guess. This whole system with a mana bar and stuff confuses the hell out of me.

Also, no, I'm Level 2. And it's ten to midnight. If you still want to play in... eleven hours or so, sure, maybe.

Well I did mean later today.

wait, where do you live again? ._.

Because for some reason I was thinking South Dakota, but that's clearly wrong. 

I... live in Australia?

Not... south dakota...

Wait, what the hell I knew that.

You've mentioned it before. 

I'm....

Very sorry.

My brain has been taking a vacation for the better part of the past 24 hours. I forgot my employee number at work last night. >_> 

Well, anyway.

It looks like DDO might have an inbuilt voice chat system, if anyone has a headset, but I hope nobody minds if I just like, talk as little as possible, ever, if anybody else has a headset too.

>me
    >using my voice on the internet

Yeah you have nothing to worry about.

It's really, really good in challenging group content, especially in combat.

Voice chat is just so much quicker.

I sound like a Dutchman being strangled by a cat. Trust me when I say that you don't want to hear my voice, it's the culmination of a lifetime living around a lot of people with a lot of really out-there accents.

Plus, I don't have a headset anyway. 

Meanwhile, I have an Australian accent.

Time to vote! Which would everyone prefer listening to. :V

(Keep in mind that's not even my reason for not wanting to talk.)

Unless you would like to hear someone "tawk lyk thishh" the entire time. No, dank je.

Man, 'f erryone heard wot I sounded like, they' probly laugh their heads 'ff. <-- There, a transcription of how I actually talk. Missing letters and all.

Typing how I talk is really annoying, by the by.

(Anyway, the message there was more for CU/Alkthash. :V )

I don't think I can accurately transcribe the way I talk anyway.

Anywoozel, that's fine, for I am going to sleep.

At ten in the morning, yes. This is a good habit, clearly. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm blissfully deaf to my own accent. As far as I can tell, I talk roughly the way I type. This may or may not be the case. No need to find out, anyway. 

• edited 2012-10-20 10:39:45

I've been playing X-COM: Enemy Unknown. There are a few annoyances here and there and I miss how some things worked on the original (grenades!), but it's still been a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm blissfully deaf to my own accent. As far as I can tell, I talk roughly the way I type. This may or may not be the case. No need to find out, anyway. 

Unless you have a perfect pronunciation and high-bred way of talking, I doubt it.

It's a fun thing to try, anyway. Say something out loud, and type it exactly as you say it.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Y'know, maybe I should get back to DDO.

Yes, you should.