If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Oh, fuck you square. I wanted an actual squeal not a re-release on a system I don't have and have no plan on getting. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    D:<
    Just when I start to wonder if Square might have remembered where it left its competence...
  • edited 2012-08-26 13:56:35
    There is love everywhere, I already know

>Announce thing people don't care about

>Make big deal out of it

>Tease something everybody loved

>Make worst possible choice concerning it and the people who would've played it, leaving it in the hands of soccer moms and teenage girls who will go "Ew, Japanese cartoons" (I know the iSeries has a much wider userbase, but how many people are honestly going to play or even pay for a really long RPG when the entire thing is dedicated to pick-up-and-play casual games?)

• edited 2012-08-26 13:57:23

To be fair, Square really, really, really loves rereleasing all of their games on completely random platforms, so this isn't really out of the ordinary.  And countdowns to things that nobody cares about are also not unheard of.

• But you never had any to begin with.

TWEWY isn't a "really long RPG", 'specially by today's standards.

>leaving it in the hands of soccer moms and teenage girls who will go "Ew, Japanese cartoons" (I know the iSeries has a much wider userbase, but how many people are honestly going to play or even pay for a really long RPG when the entire thing is dedicated to pick-up-and-play casual games?)

Honestly, I'm not so sure about this. Videogames do have a pretty major marketing problem of only being sold to people who already play them, and if someone doesn't try to fix it, we'll get a second crash.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know

But The World Ends With You doesn't seem to be the title that would fix that.

No, it isn't. I think I mentioned awhile ago that I'd have gone with a Facebook port of FFVI, myself. That said, it does break down nicely into short chunks of play, so it may be suited to a casual model.
    This has to be the biggest gaming letdown I've experienced since...I don't even know. The original ME3 ending wasn't even this disappointing.
  • Thank god for Gaslamp Games and project Odin to help soften the blow. I don't know what it is exactly but from what little has been teased it sounds good and the official reveal should be tomorrow. They would not pull something like what square pulled.

• An iOS version makes about as much business sense as a Final Fantasy sports game. Why not a 3DS version or something? That's probably where the target audience is.

• Also, this isn't the first time Square has ported a DS game to the iOS, since they already did it with Final Fantasy III.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You expect me to hatch a chicken to wake some bum up. After that, you expect me to get another blue chicken to wake a punk who lives in the woods up. After waking him up, he gives you a mushroom to give to a crazy old lady or something. The crazy old lady turns it into medicine, but I can't give it to the punk because he has randomly become a skeleton monster. I get his saw and give it to a carpenter, who gives me a broken blade which was apparently forged by a giant fucking rock person who lives on top of a mountain. The giant fucking rock person tells me to get him eye medication from a king of fish people, who tells me to get the medication from another crazy old lady. I need to get the medication to the top of the mountain in four minutes so that Mr. Giant Fucking Rock Person can give me the strongest weapon in the game.

I don't know what this is, but I know there's a game where I wake up in the middle of nowhere and have to steal some poor schmuck's gun when he's asleep, then find a dead guy's key just to be able to get some drama-ridden village idiots to open up and give me a damn lead of something to do, whereupon they start up a teleporter for me, and I use it to go kill a crazy person, and then I use it to go gather bomb-making materials in order to blast out a door just to watch some idiots hovercraft their way into a collision with the ground, and then I use it to go find a crazy old lady's puppies that have all run loose in a desert complex, and along the way I have to tell someone I don't want the cool gun they're offering me even though I just stole someone else's gun.  Then I'm forced to kill another crazy person, and then I'm used as an exterminator for cockroaches, and then I have to save a self-sacrificing brat, and then I have to not save some poor schmuck who just fell fifty feet to his apparent death extreme bodily injury, only to find that the village has been plundered of people while I was gone.  Then one schmuck who escaped offers me a chance to escape, and I'm supposed to tell him to f*** off, just so I can enjoy some really cool sad music, and find my way to a farm, where I get enough non-leads to figure out that I have to beat the crap out of a mushroom and then stuff its remains into said brat's mouth for her own good.  And then I go back to actually see the poor schmuck whose gun I stole, and for some reason he's willing to give me the strongest weapon in the game.

Though, I must say, I enjoyed the experience.  A lot.

• I don't know what this is,

It's one of those things where someone pretends that a video game makes less sense than it does.  Also, he's talking about Ocarina of Time.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And Giant Fucking Rock Person is a goron, I assume, and the chicken is a cucco.  For some reason I vaguely had a guess it was a Zelda game anyway.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Showed my friend some Yume Nikki. More specifically, I showed him Monoko, Monoe, the Mars event and Poniko. He says he's going to have nightmares

• You can change. You can.

It's one of those things where someone pretends that a video game makes less sense than it does. Also, he's talking about Ocarina of Time.

To be fair, the quest starts with a random prompt, basically

• Why does Zero absolutely wreck things in X5?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-27 04:26:49

So...

Playing X6.

... Yeah.

I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm a masochist who loves pain or I want to see what NOT to do in level design/game design for myself or the completionist in me just can't let a game go unfinished in the MMX collection.

EDIT: High Max is soooo damn boring.

• But you never had any to begin with.

To be fair, the quest starts with a random prompt, basically

Well, the very first trade is mandatory, so...

• You can change. You can.

It is, but I meant simply that you wouldn't know that doing that would lead to obtaining the sword unless you heard it already, now would you.

• edited 2012-08-27 11:13:53
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119273-Sonys-Console-Wars-Are-Coming

Apparently, Sony is making a movie about the console wars. I'm sure this will be very neutral and unbiased, and not, say, a feature-length commercial you have to pay to watch.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Maybe it's a Hyperdimension Neptunia movie

• edited 2012-08-27 11:25:21
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Based on the websites they've registered, it appears to be just called "The Console Wars."

• Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

So, I'm playing Pokemon HeartGold... Trying to trade for an Arceus. My PokeDex is about 424.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

^^ Maybe it's a Hyperdimension Neptunia rip-off with buff superguys instead of girls?

• The creator of Adventure Time wants to do interviews with game developers. It's worth a look for the adorable little Mario animations he did.