If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Legend of Korra

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I was thinking something along those lines.

Still, the whole 'let's wrap wires around this big electric conductor! What could possibly go wrong?' action was pretty dumb.

• You can change. You can.

Amon is actually Doctor Magneto Von Doom, the product of universes colliding in a big mesh of gods being bored.

You know I was thinking the show would be using X-men for a cheat sheet.

It would have been better off for it.

The show would have been a billion times better if it was actually as allegorical as the X-Men rather than just using an interesting backdrop, but by now i'm only watching this show for the pretty fights and because korra's cool. when mako's not around. then she becomes a total douchebag.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I hope the romantic subplot is resolved this season, I'd rather not see teen drama on season two.

^And not bait shippers into threatening each other into bodily harm? As if Bryke would ever think of doing that!

• edited 2012-06-10 23:22:20
    You can change. You can.

I hope the romantic subplot is resolved this season, I'd rather not see teen drama on season two.

O brave new world...

I like teen drama, when it is the focus of the show, or when it is played for laughs, and it can, and most likely will shake up the character dynamics by the season finale, but it doesn't mean it has to keep going indefinitely.

The thing is, I don't have an issue with the concept of a romantic subplot or even teen drama in Korra. It can be used to develop and deepen the characters beyond punching bags and people who punch things. And, as much as I think every show should be like Nextwave, I also know that not all shows can even be like Nextwave.

which is why i'm so depressed, actually.

My problem is that it's just filler shit. And let's face it, if Korra borrows from Avatar, it will be there during the whole show right until the end.

• edited 2012-06-10 23:51:13
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

It does leave me wondering, will Asami change sides and become a woman scorned? Will they do a poorly justified pairing of the spares with Bolin? Will Mako, refreshingly, choose Asami in the end? 

I hope it's the third, and I hope it is not the first. 

I really do hope Mako and Asami stay together, but I see it as unlikely. 

Either way, I can't see Asami switching sides. I think she hates her father for lying to her and the equalists for making his father do that. as such, she probably will get revenge on the equalists until the end or something like that.

• I'm a damn twisted person

You know why I like Bolin and Sokka? Because for the most part they are cool about shipping drama* and just get to be funny. Okay Sokka was funnier than Bolin, but he had a lot more screen time too. 

Amon is actually Doctor Magneto Von Doom, the product of universes colliding in a big mesh of gods being bored.

Is this a bad time to mention there was a story where the X-men and the FF teamed up and Magneto and Doom's interactions quickly devolved into dickwaving?

*My OTP is boomerang/space sword.

• ^^, ^^^ When you guys mention Asami "changing sides" in the context of shipping...well, it doesn't make me think of her going to the Equalists.

Has there ever been a plot where A's reaction to B having feelings for C(despite B being in a relationship with A) is for A to develop an attraction to C?

>You know why I like Bolin and Sokka? Because for the most part they are cool about shipping drama* and just get to be funny. Okay Sokka was funnier than Bolin, but he had a lot more screen time too. 

Pretty much. Bolin was also a total champ about having his feelings rebuked. He had a slump sure, but the fact that he was able to bounce back from his feelings for Korra so well is pretty great. 

There was plenty of potential for shipping drama with Sokka though. We were just lucky he was comic relief and didn't have to be subjected to that.

I like how half of tumblr is assuming that since Sokka complimented Toph at the hall that means he and Suki broke up and he went with Toph.

Because people never compliment folks they have been friends with for close to 30 years in a platonic way. 

• edited 2012-06-11 02:02:47
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Of course not. People can't be friends for a long time without it turning into being about sex. Uh-hmm.

Lin's father is still a mystery, though, that can provide fuel for that theory, even if it can provide fuel for any theory.

• Having just gotten caught up, I was just thinking about this. The mystery of Lin's father seems to be one of the big backstory gaps right now. It's not necessarily hugely important but it is perplexing.

• No rainbow star
    I wonder if it is possible for an Avatar to impregnate someone from the next nation in their cycle, die, then be born as their child?
  • It's certainly theoretically possible, but until now I don't think the four nations have really mixed.
    Man 70 years and only 4(5 now?) airbenders? Way to drop the ball on bringing airbenders back to the world Aang.

Anybody else think the reason Tenzin doesn't loose to chi blockers as much as other benders is because they have no idea how to deal with an airbender?

Airbending phylosophy is based on evasion first and foremost, chi-blocking needs to attack openings, airbending is all about not creating openings.

Sound theory. I mean look at the scene with the kids. Sure, Jinora's entrance makes sense because lol element of surprise, but once Ikki and Meelo rolled in, the chi blockers should have been able to stand their ground, but nope. Beaten. By a farting bald ball of air bending. 

Anyway, this episode was really good, except for the Asami/Mako/Korra bullshit, although Mako pointed out what I was thinking during the whole of the last episode (Korra was kidnapped. Why is Asami mad at Mako for being worried and demonstrating basic human decency? oh right because she knows that they will end up together because it's your typical romance shit plot)

Why is Asami mad at Mako for being worried and demonstrating basic human decency?

Basic human decency is giving her space, what he did was carry her in his arms like he is the only one worried about her.

Contrast how Bo Lin was worried about her and how Mako was worried about her though Juan
  • edited 2012-06-17 13:43:09
    You can change. You can.

^^

1) that scene happens after the moments I'm talking about. Namely that scene where Asami asks Bolin "Hey, why is Mako so worried?" and shit. 

2) I'm not saying that she isn't right about Mako and Korra or breaking up. I'm just saying that the romance plot is handled pretty badly and that the trigger behind the imminent break up is basically "Mako cares about Korra when she's kidnapped".

3) Also, that scene in this episode where Asami mentions the kiss and Mako doesn't even point out that Korra was the one who kissed him was full of ugh.

^ I honestly didn't notice any substantial difference except that Mako put a chi blocker against the wall in anger.

Point. New interpretation, Asami is insecure and jealous and therefore stupid.
  • edited 2012-06-17 14:24:54
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

except that Mako put a chi blocker against the wall in anger.

Except? That's the whole point.

About "Mako cares about Korra when she is kidnapped" there I can agree is it artificial development on the relationship.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Or she lost her family, home, and livelihood and is trying to hold on to what she has left? Also, Mako is being a jerk about this, since he knows that?