If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The thread for pimping Kickstarters.

Comments

• According to Kicktraq, the average pledge was $136 overall and $124.87 on the first day. Whereas Project Eternity's is currently around $42.40 and steadily decreasing.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Over 707k now. This is amazing.
  • Kicktraq says it's trending towards $23,268,135 lolol.

I love looking at trendlines the first day:

As high as those always are, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $3-4m.
    It's past a million now.
  • edited 2012-09-15 15:36:52
    a little muffled

Figured I might as well mention this: SolForge has opened a PayPal donation campaign and for a limited time they're giving the same rewards they did to Kickstarter backers, and even allowing Kickstarter backers to increase their pledges this way.

Since I don't have to use a borrowed credit card for this, I might go up to $60 after all. (Though on the other hand it might be over by the time there's money in my PayPal...)

I have to say, as excited as I am for Eternity, I'd have appreciated some more details.
  • They've admitted to stalling because none of them believed it would be funded so quickly.

So I increased my pledge from $20 to $35, though I'll probably increase it more later.

Anyway, less than a minute after I'd done it, I checked the page again and the $20 tier was already sold out again after I'd freed up a slot. Impressive.

• While we're waiting for an update, here's an adorable adventure game called Sealark, inspired by such crowd pleasers as Earthbound, Homestuck, Cave Story, and Harvest Moon. It's only $10 for a copy and is pretty darn adorable.

That does look pretty adorable, but has very bad timing, since I need to save money right now.

Cross-posting this to the videogames thread.

So, apparently, some publishers contacted Obsidian offering to publish either the game they're currently Kickstarting or a future project (I'm not entirely clear on which).

So, in return for the "service" of placing their company's name on the box, the publisher would get full rights to the IP and a substantial portion of the profit.

I...was I actually overestimating the intelligence of game publishers? What the fuck?!

• Please tell me they're not taking them up on it.

No, they thought it was stupid.

• Feargus' response was epic, especially considering it garnered a simple "yes". Of all the devs to try and pull that on, they certainly picked the one that's been fucked over the most by publishers.

• New guidelines for products:

New Hardware and Product Design Project Guidelines

The development of new products can be especially complex for creators and seductive to backers. Today we’re adding additional guidelines for Hardware and Product Design projects.

They are:

- Product simulations are prohibited. Projects cannot simulate events to demonstrate what a product might do in the future. Products can only be shown performing actions that they’re able to perform in their current state of development.
    - Product renderings are prohibited. Product images must be photos of the prototype as it currently exists.

Products should be presented as they are. Over-promising leads to higher expectations for backers. The best rule of thumb: under-promise and over-deliver.

Sounds like Kickstarter realized Ouya's prolly not happening and/or doesn't want other such vaporware to hurt their image.

• edited 2012-09-20 20:14:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I haven't heard anything recently to indicate that the Ouya won't be made. There was a set of VR glasses that turned out to be a scam; this is likely in response to that.

Just increased my Project Eternity pledge to 140. I'll very likely go 250 if I can, but I want to make sure I can before I do.

Though given that I have a job interview today, a solution may present itself shortly.

• edited 2012-09-22 23:15:36

Do it, CU, do it so that you can get the signatures of the best RPG makers in the business. (no, I'm not jealous that I can only afford the boxed copy)

For non-Obsidian projects, there's a cool mobile game called Football Heroes for those of us who miss arcadey NBA Jam-style sports games. It's described as "a Football + Beat 'em Up + RPG, inspired by the classic game Tecmo Bowl" and it's only $5, so I figure it's well worth consideration for anyone with an iOS/Android device. Or even if you don't and just want to support another NBA Jam but with football. And they're making a PC/Mac version eventually, just not soon unless they exceed their goal.

• Homestuck made it over 1.75 million. Art book, here we come.

With a week left to go, I'd say there's a decent chance of making it to 2 million and whatever that tier is.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Has Hussie even made a tier for 2 million? Also, for a kickstarter, this has a surprising amount of swag. Pretty sure Hussie is going to be autographing things for like 10 hours straight when it comes time to get everything ready to ship.

• Well, there's a big row of question marks on the ladder that looks promising.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Bumped my Project Eternity pledge to 65 and pledged 15 to Homestuck.

Eternity has 50K backers. Yay! :D

• With an average donation of nearly $44, too!

So, I'm getting paid on the 11th, and my monthly allowance from my parents is coming in on the 4th. Which means I should actually be able to afford the $250 pledge level with a reasonable amount of money left over going into HOLY SHIT ALL THE GAMES ARE COMING OUT AT ONCE season.

• Homestuck passed $2 million! 

I probably shouldn't upgrade to the Seerpak, but I think I'm gonna anyway.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Hm.

Sure, I can toss in $15 for that.

And now it's funded. Nice to be one of the last people before that.