If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The thread for pimping Kickstarters.

Comments

• Deepworld didn't make it, unfortunately.

But I did just get my email saying my things for the OOTS kickstarter just shipped. :3
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Not so fast; Deepworld is offering preorders now.

• edited 2012-05-21 19:11:02
    smote

^ I got the email about that.

My stuff from the OOTS kickstarter came in the mail today! Among other goodies, Roy is now guarding my refrigerator, and I might cover my laptop in stickers (as if the "To Victory!" Dalek one wasn't enough).

My stuff from the OOtS kickstarter came last week, but coincidentally, I got some stuff today too.

Specifically, my 80 PennyGems and my D&D random dungeon generator poster. I think I linked both of those in the OP.

^Wrong thread?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Why are you talking to yourself, INUH?

Hey, no abusing mod powers unless it's funny :P

• Not really a game, but here's an interesting project called Mad God, a traditional stop motion project that SFX artist Phil Tippett(The Empire Strikes Back, Robocop, Jurassic Park) is making.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Awkward Zombie is doing the printed thing too.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Retrovirus, is a an FPS where you take control of an anti-virus program and destroy an infection. It's a interesting concept that reminds me of an old (and awesome) Toonami flash game, and the environments looks really cool.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Alex you have to pick a choice. Take the red pill and get a game with a tight focused narrative experience that you like with a satisfying conclusion. Take the blue pill and get swordy action that probably won't suck. Since Stephenson is helming it, you can't take the red pill. 

BLUE PILL BLUE PILL

as if there was ever any doubt

• Wow, Alex, I had no idea you had $78k in spending money. Anyways, here's more about the project:

The one issue I honestly see with this is the peripheral; a motion sensor control can't simulate the impact of two close combat weapons, and ergo a significant portion of the art will be lost in translation. While I love the fact they're doing this, I think standard PC or console controls would be both better for the gameplay experience and financially safer, more likely to allow this game to find a wide established audience. 

This game will no doubt appeal to HEMA guys like myself, but I can see the fanbases for stuff like The Witcher and Mount & Blade really enjoying this too, which is why I think a standard control scheme might be better. Those audiences stand a chance of being alienated by motion controls, since motion controls and "hardcore" gamers don't mix at the present. 

That said, he runs through all my major criticisms of fantasy and historical combat games as they currently stand, which is awesome. There's a shitload of naysayers when it comes to things like this, and game developers themselves aren't much better a lot of the time -- hell, they're the ones that continue to make such a wide variety of overly simple and abstracted combat systems where the difference between sword A and sword B is their kind of elemental enchantment. So good on these guys.

Gonna see if I can find the cash to pledge $100-$150. 

• edited 2012-06-11 01:36:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That looks pretty awesome. Backed. Might be able to get my dad to give me some extra backing cash too; he's a fan of Neal Stephenson.

As for feedback...well, if you're doing local multiplayer, that might not be an issue (though that would render the game kinda pointless :P) That said, it does support PC controls, and it would make a pretty good training device even without the feedback, so there's that.

• Remember that Tropes Vs. Women in Video Games thing?

Because Jesus Christ internet, what the hell are you doing?!

Wish I could say I was surprised -_-
  • edited 2012-06-14 18:50:54
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

There's this segment of the Internet that's so violently opposed to anything related to social justice that they end up supporting most of those people's arguments with the sheer amount of vitriol they bring to bear. It's kind of sad, really...

Anyway, this isn't a game and it's not on Kickstarter, but if this doesn't get funded I will literally die

There isn't much chance of it failing. It's at 60% with a month left.
  • Not exactly Kickstarter, but an Indiegogo with fixed funding (they only get the money if they hit the goal) for a Zombie Amusement Park.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

all I know about Kickstarter is that it's apparently RUINING THE GAMING INDUSTRY.

What is it just basically a pledge fund? 

• edited 2012-07-05 01:37:12
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Basically, you select a reward level (most commonly, somewhere around $15-20 for a copy of whatever it is) and if it's funded at the end, you get charged that much, they use all the money to make the thing and when they're done, you get it. Payments are done through Amazon.

• Crowdsourcing, which allows developers to make games publishers wouldn't buy/would wrest creative control from, like Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Oh.

Sounds cool.

I dunno all I heard about it was some angry people saying it was "the new Pyramid Scheme" or some shit. 

• Those people were probably EA.