If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Old Republic

Comments

• Do you have to pay monthly for this thing or what?

• I'm a damn twisted person

Nova - yep.  In the past Bioware has been nice about it, giving 15, 10 and 5 minute warnings before hand.  Tonight they were just dicks I guess.

Kraken - yep, $15 a month. 

• Damn. That's why I dislike MMOs. 

I just want to pay once, damn it.

For the play time you get out of it, it more than passes the $/hour test. Not something I can say for too many other games right out the gate.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

That really depends. TOR takes some pains to cover up its fetch quest repeats, but not enough and they still shine through as what they are. For a lot of MMOs I hear that they get better quests at the higher levels, but what good is top-ending the game with everything interesting? 

A game that keeps it's subscriber base content mostly. And hell, it's a social game, meaning it is like 4 times as fun to play it with a friend, mostly for the cooperation, but the better loot from group quests doesn't hurt either.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

what good is top-ending the game with everything interesting?

With a lot of games, the promise of interesting content later will keep people who don't actually like the game from leaving.

• edited 2012-05-01 00:44:19
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ I think being more inventive with quests and dispersing those inventing quests around could only be a good thing. Given that MMOs are about cooperative problem solving, something like a whodunnit would fit right in. Or perhaps a non-linear instanced quest where one has to track the random patterns of some mysterious monster. Or something that isn't "collect/kill X of Y", which BioWare promised it wouldn't wear out, but the early game is filled with those quests. BioWare dresses them up better than most, but fail to avoid the fundamental issue given the inherent repetition. 

I absolutely understand that MMOs have to be big on content and that strains development, but given that every MMO under the sun uses the same basic quests for large portions of the game, I don't think there's any excuse for not thinking outside the box with this sort of thing. Especially when you're BioWare, you've got an IP like Star Wars to work with and you spent a lot of words explaining how you meant to avoid the trappings of conventional MMOs. 

I'm not trying to illegitimise anyone's subjective fun here, but I consider MMOs to be largely broken because of the issues I've mentioned above. The economic concerns don't really help, but at the same time not every divergence from the norm is a risk, or at least not a big one. And besides all that, a better game would be just as fun to play with a friend while also being a better game. While I don't think it's unreasonable to enjoy TOR or other MMOs at all, I don't think it's unreasonable to point out where they fail despite their strengths as well, and unfortunately I consider a lot of MMOs to fail on some pretty basic grounds. 

^ That could easily be fixed by ensuring they like the game from an early point. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

And hell, it's a social game, meaning it is like 4 times as fun to play it with a friend, mostly for the cooperation, but the better loot from group quests doesn't hurt either.

This is basically what's kept me playing. On my own, the game kind of bores me due to its' repetitive combat and its' boring quests, but at least when Alkthash logs in, we can go do Heroics and Flashpoints together, and it gives me someone to talk to, which kills the boredom. It does mean that interruptions from real life annoy two people instead of just one, but I figure that having someone to play the game with is worth the occasional annoyances.

For a lot of MMOs I hear that they get better quests at the higher levels, but what good is top-ending the game with everything interesting? 

I really would not say that it is everything interesting. The single-player quests are good enough to tide you over until at least the first Chapter has ended, and then you unlock the Legacy system which is one of the great points of the game, and then you can get to progressively higher levels with more interesting content from there.

So it goes from a fairly interesting but repetitive game at low-levels, to a game with interesting content and a decent amount of said content at higher levels.

And from what I've seen of Bioware's official announcements within the forums, they're looking at introducing a lot more content in, including SGR's (one of the high points for me), a lot more Legacy content, much more PvP content, more high-end Flashpoints and Heroics, more social rewards, and even off-the-rails space combat.

So yeah, between the promise of the Legacy system, being able to play with Alk/anyone else who logs in, and the promise of a lot of decent content in the pipes, it's got me interested enough to keep playing. Not hurt by me being payed up for another two and a half months, I guess.

I just want to pay once, damn it.

For what it's worth, I pay $30 and get two months of play time out of it, which I would consider worth it.

SRG is what again?

And man we really need a guild or one or two friends to tag along. A player tank(melee or ranged) would probably help the most. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

SGR*

Same Gender Romance.

And yeah, I tried to convince Alex to come play but he said no. So, whatever.

We're edging into the range where Forzare only outlevels us by a lot instead of by thirty or so levels though. So, there's that. Then we can drag him into doing all our low-level content with us!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^ That could easily be fixed by ensuring they like the game from an early point. 

I know. I'm just being all cynical and stuff.

It would certainly make Flashpoints only require us to be slightly overleveled instead of ridiculously overleveled. 

I still want to beat Hammerpoint. I know that we're so ridiculously overleveled for it that we literally would not get anything but small prizes and a sense of vindication from it, but fucking hell, that guy killed me twice.

Well you would also get some commendations and social points for finishing it, and a codex entry. And maybe loot that while cool looking, is under leveled. 

The social points would be worth it.

• Alkthash: Can you send me a trial account?

Nova talked me into it.

I am a good talker.

Are you a subscriber, Alk? If not, could you send him one, Forzare?

• edited 2012-05-03 12:14:34
    I'm a damn twisted person

I'm a subscriber. I'll see what I can do for you Kraken. Technically you are a subscriber too Nova, since you got that Tauntan pet.

Nope, I'm not a subscriber. I tried.

Alkthash: I spent a bit of time running around with a guy called Ubique, today. He's invited us to join the guild he's in.

We went around and did most of the Heroics on Tatooine, and a Flashpoint (Manalorian something). So, uh, I'm kind of Level 29 now, with Speeder training, and 30k credits.

Reason Number One I love this server: People randomly message you and offer to give you items that sell for 200k for free because they don't like the idea of people selling items that spawn on a fixed timer for massive amounts of money. (I got a Mysterious Egg for free.)

• edited 2012-05-04 14:31:46

Store that in your ship's cargo hold. I think you need to run back and forth between Tatooine an Hoth to hatch it. 

Also, your Jedi is now a pokemon trainer, but in space Nova. Let that sink in for a moment.

Actually, I already hatched it. You need to get a buff from the water treatment plant thingies on Tattoine, Refreshed and Renewed or something, and then you need to go into The Sand Dune Desert place, and there's a solar heater in there. Stand under it, the buff prevents it from damaging you, and tada, you win.

We also killed the world boss. Protip: We are not fighting that thing ourselves. It deals fucking two thousand damage a hit and stuns you- and your companions can't even act.

Shit. I am the best Pokemon Trainer ever.

He also gave me some item, some jerky and something, that usually sells for at least 500k, and can be used to get a different pet.

• edited 2012-05-04 18:35:42

Hrm, I'm stuck at work until like 430 my time, so what, 530 your time? I can probably log on for some adventuring around 5 my time, 5 your time. 

Also, when I feel masochistic and want to go jump datacron hunting at endgame, I should just head out and curbstomp a bunch of underleveled world bosses for the codex entries. Yes, I am determined to turn Star Wars into pokemon!

I actually got a Datacron on Tatooine yesterday. It was for Cunning, though, so the effort wasn't worth it.

There is one for Willpower on Tatooine that is actually fairly easy to get to if you have a group to handle the mooks in the cave on the way to get to it.

It doesn't actually bother me that much.

Also, I'm going to go on to Alderaan for a while before you log on, so I may find a Heroic on Alderaan for us to do, as well as redoing that Mandalorian Bunker one we did last time.

Wait, your online right now? I guess I could pause Attack the Block and log on.

Not right now, but I was going to boot it up in about fifteen minutes.

• How long did patching take for you guys?