If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Old Republic

1161718192022»

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Underworld Trading/Treasure Hunting/Diplomacy are not Synthweaving/Cybertech/their like.

With Underworld Trading and them, you can get materials used in them, and you can get Companion Gifts.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

No, I mean having money because of slicing.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You can get Lockbox missions with Treasure Hunting. :|

oh

And the prices of requisite materials, especially from Underworld Trading, is likely to go through the roof now that Free-to-Play has arrived.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

On the subject of the Agent and light/dark:

I started out intending to RP her as basically neutral, but by the end of Chapter 1 she was pretty soldily Light 2.

By the end of the story, she was deep into Dark.  

Take from that what you will.

So...just met a guy who used to be an agent like me, then he took a lightsaber in the lung.

Playing more. Just finished the stuff with the Revanites.

So...I know a free-to-play game is supposed to make you feel like you'd be better off paying, but TOR is just downright mean about it. I've done all of the stuff I could reasonably be expected to do at this point and I'm level 13. My next story mission is designed for level 16 and up. Why? Because free players don't get as much XP after level 10, and thus can never expect to be at the level they're supposed to be unless they spend hours grinding.

Most free MMOs sort of go "If you're not paying, that's fine, but if you like the game enough that you want to get some neat perk, you can pay."

TOR, meanwhile, is basically saying "if you're not paying, we will make you weaker and weaker until you have to either pay up or quit."

So...I know a free-to-play game is supposed to make you feel like you'd be better off paying, but TOR is just downright mean about it. I've done all of the stuff I could reasonably be expected to do at this point and I'm level 13. My next story mission is designed for level 16 and up. Why? Because free players don't get as much XP after level 10, and thus can never expect to be at the level they're supposed to be unless they spend hours grinding.

I can't say I ever- right, right, premium.

Can you do Heroics and the like? I can't remember if Heroics were restricted, but if they weren't, there's several Heroics on Dromund Kaas that you can team up with people for, and Heroics are worth a lot of EXP. Keeping up with them should keep you in the proper level range.

Oh, right, I actually haven't been doing that.

Because I really, really hate teaming up with random people.

You can usually tackle Heroic 2's on your own, if you don't like teaming up with people. Just make sure to hone your skills and not be undergeared.

You might want to wait until the next day, because then you can repeat the same Heroic 2's again and win.

If you're Empire-side, I think you also could have run Black Talon with a group of random people. That Flashpoint has decent loot drops and a good EXP rate.

Basically, if you're going free-to-play, keep up with space missions, bonus missions on later planets, and group missions, and you'll stay appropriately level-ranged or a bit higher.

If you go premium, you can pay to not have to tolerate those groups (or tolerate them more, if you like Flashpoints).

• A few things:

-Clockwork can only run Black Talon 3 times a week. That's how many flashpoints non-subscribers and people who don't pay for a weekly flashpoint pass have access to, IIRC.

-Similarly, while PVP is a great source of XP, you can only play three matches a week without a subscription or pass.

-If he does find any orange gear, like the stuff that drops in Black Talon, he won't be able to use it unless he pays extra for that.

I don't know what the deal with space missions is, but right now it's moot because he doesn't have a ship at level 13 and even when he gets one it wouldn't surprise me if BioWare wanted him to pay for a subscription or spend Cartel Coins to fly space missions too.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ranting at you here, Nova, because I'm not. My frustration is with BioWare and how they are charging for things they really don't need to and basically saying "If you want this game to be fun instead of a pain in the ass, and if you want to see the end of this story you started, you need to give us money." If I were a new player doing the F2P thing, I would be pissed.

There might be ways we can help Clockwork out, like crafting gear and stims that he can use, but it'll still be difficult for him.

Clockwork can only run Black Talon 3 times a week. That's how many flashpoints non-subscribers and people who don't pay for a weekly flashpoint pass have access to, IIRC.

Yes. And he can only roll for loot 3 times, although I'm not sure if that's just Need rolls, or Greed rolls too. However, 3 runs of Black Talon likely would have boosted him up a level.

If he does find any orange gear, like the stuff that drops in Black Talon, he won't be able to use it unless he pays extra for that.

Not actually true. It's Artifact-grade gear you can't equip; not Custom-grade gear. Most Custom-grade gear comes with Artifact-grade modifications, but you can swap them out for Prototype-level modifications, which you can buy on most planets. It results in being weaker overall, but still stronger than when equipping regular Prototype gear.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Really teaming up with random folks for planetary heroics isn't that bad. Most planetary missions are basically go to spot, kill some dudes, come back. It's flashpoints and ops where a PUG can screw you over, cause people might not be geared right or know the tricks to surviving the boss fight.

It's not that bad in terms of 'can we do this'.

It's pretty bad in terms of 'Ugh, now I have to put up with a bunch of people I don't know.'

Considering standard PUG ettiquite is to say hey, check if folks are ready before the boss fight and say gg or thnxall after the mission, and nothing else, it's not really a problem.

Only if you get lucky.

Groups tend to get worse in F2P games.

• edited 2012-11-19 09:57:25

Not actually true. It's Artifact-grade gear you can't equip; not Custom-grade gear. Most Custom-grade gear comes with Artifact-grade modifications, but you can swap them out for Prototype-level modifications, which you can buy on most planets. It results in being weaker overall, but still stronger than when equipping regular Prototype gear.

Oh, okay.

As for heroics, I don't mind teaming up with random people myself if they aren't idiots (and usually they aren't), but even with the server populations high it's sometimes difficult to find people, particularly for Heroic 4s.

For instance: the Pub quest on Alderaan "Red-Handed" is one I still need to do on my Smuggler. I spent a while asking if anybody wanted to do it on Alderaan's general chat and, after repeating the question every 5-10 minutes and receiving no bites, I just decided to give up and come back to solo it after I was powerful enough to do that.

Another example just from last night was the "Enclave Raid" quest on Imperial Taris. A guy was trying to form a group for it and I thought "Hey, that's in my mission log as something I volunteered to do, so I'll respond." I whispered him, joined the group. Unlike with my Alderaan mission, we were able to find two others and get it done, but it took a while. And the group ended up being all DPS with our only CCs being anti-droid up against groups of four elites at a time, so it was a little tough.

• So I have two statements I'd like to make re. companions I got recently.

I love Guss Tuno so far. He might not take Blizz's title of "Most Awesome Companion", but he may deserve the title of "Most Entertaining".

Broonmark, meanwhile, makes me legitimately uncomfortable. He isn't as bad as Skadge I suppose, but still, holy fuckballs what a psycho he is.

• edited 2012-12-19 01:31:33
    I'm a damn twisted person

Welp, finished the Bounty Hunter class quest today. Kinda underwhelming, at least compared to the Consular finale. With the Consular I got to root out a conspiracy, turn the tide of the war and redeem/kill the Emperor's First Son.

With the Bounty Hunter, you get some cool set pieces when a Jedi and Sith attack you, but really all you did was clear your name and kill your shitty boss. Then again, there is a certain visceral appeal, to just shooting your shitty boss in the face. And then shooting a missile at him. And then torching him with a flamethrower. 

Isn't there multiple endings for it?

Possibly, but I just picked the one that let me shoot my shitty boss. The in character reasoning was that Darth Tormen was an asshole and the Chancellor he sent me to kill made a better offer. 

I thought there was an ending for the Bounty Hunter that let you defect to the Republic, as well as the Imperial Agent.

Well that's kind of what I did. I was sent to kill the Republic's Chancellor, but he made me a better offer - I spare his life, he clears my name and comes clean about all the shit he and the jedi who had a hateboner for me did. But mostly the reasons for killing Tormen were personal because seriously, fuck that guy. I didn't go off to work for the republic, I just cleared out that Imperial contract via face shooting. 

Hrm, compare him to Darth Jadeus and whatever fuckery awaits the Inquisitor and Warrior, Imperial Players seem to get hassled by annoying Sith a lot. 

• edited 2012-12-25 09:55:45

Technically you did go to work for the Republic, since Janarus hadn't yet resigned and still counted as "the Republic." It was just for one job, though.

The weird thing is that when you go to do the Battle Of Ilum/False Emperor, at one point Moff Regus says something like "Killing Darth Tormen earned you our respect." The hell? First, how does everybody know about it, and second, if they know about it why aren't I now being hunted by the Imps? I guess you could handwave it by saying "Nobody liked Tormen and most Imps are glad he's dead," which is plausible given all the infighting among Sith, but still, how does any Darth know that they won't be next?

Btw, I finished the Sith Warrior and Smuggler storylines, and right now what I'd like to comment on is what it let me do to the Emperor. Thankfully, there was no "But Thou Must" as far as having to show him respect.

First, when I found him and he told me "Hey, I want to get out of here and the only way I can do it is for you to kill me so I can jump to another body," I said "Maybe we're better off without you. You're the one who got us into this war, after all."

Light Side Jaesa was with me and approved of that.

He said that if I got him out of there he would bring peace to the galaxy, promise, cross his heart. Unfortunately the game did not allow me to scream "BULLSHIT!" at him. Fortunately, what ended up happening was that I was forced to fight and mortally wound him, and then he was all like "Oh, you've done well my Wrath, now we will..." and the choice I made was to snap at him "You're not dying FAST ENOUGH!" and stick my lightsaber in him to shut him up.

That was a Dark Side choice, and Jaesa gained affection for me when I did it, because he is the fucking Emperor.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, as for what I'm doing now, my plan was to save what I'd heard were the best stories for last, and since that was Trooper and Agent, I'm doing Knight and Inquisitor right now. I love T7, and Kira's making a good first impression. The Inquisitor story might end up sucking, but hasn't started to yet IMHO, and I'm approximately 2/3 of the way through Dromund Kaas. But I came across a spoiler which said something about having to fight, and presumably kill, Darth Zash, and I don't want to, because I like her! Oh well, I've gotten to spare villain's lives before, maybe I will this time too.

(As you've certainly guessed, I've got no such reluctance toward the Emperor in the Knight's story.)