If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Old Republic

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Awesome. I'll see you around some time today, when I log on.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Question: Do any of our Imperial characters have healing abilities? Because I figure I will have to spec a bounty hunter to have some moderate healing if we want to run flashpoints together. 

• edited 2012-05-19 18:18:26

Seemed to have missed you during both my play sesssions so far, Nova.  It could've been that you were on the Republic side (and btw, is it possible to put Republic character names on an Imperial characters friends list, or does it not let you do that the same way WoW doesn't let you add people from the other side?), and I guess I could roll a Republic character if I weren't so interested in the Bounty Hunter storyline.

Here's how it's going for me, btw.  Initially the game worked all right with everything set to low, and even with those settings the graphics were at least as good as you'd see in one of the KOTOR games, which I consider to be pretty good.  Thing is, it began getting laggier for me around the time I added my first companion.  Not horribly so, but a little.  And then it got worse and worse on Hutta, I think because I started out in the middle of the night and then a few hours later it was morning and more and more people started logging on after they woke up.

So now I'm at the point in the story where I've taken a shuttle to Dromuned Kaas and it's laggy as a motherfucker. Probably because, y'know, Sith Empire capital world, lots of people...

I think what I'm gonna need to do is buy a new machine if I want to get the most enjoyment out of this game.  But based on what I've seen so far, the game's worth it and I was meaning to get a new one anyway, and I've saved enough that I can afford it, so I'll probably do that in the next few days.  AND, I was pleased to see that the price of the game itself had dropped by twenty bucks or so, so I'm buying this sonuvabitch. :)

When I do buy it, do you know if I'll need to roll a new character, or will the one I've been leveling up be saved and available for me to use?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Question: Do any of our Imperial characters have healing abilities? Because I figure I will have to spec a bounty hunter to have some moderate healing if we want to run flashpoints together. 

I think I could spec my Bounty Hunter into a healer if you wanted.

Seemed to have missed you during both my play sesssions so far, Nova.

I think I logged in just as you logged out one time, actually. Your name did that thing where it was greyed out but your planet/location/level was shown, which only happens when you're logged in as I'm logged in, but you disappeared about ten seconds after.

is it possible to put Republic character names on an Imperial characters friends list, or does it not let you do that the same way WoW doesn't let you add people from the other side?

It is impossible to add Republic players to an Imperial character's friends list. I've tried.

Here's how it's going for me, btw.  Initially the game worked all right with everything set to low, and even with those settings the graphics were at least as good as you'd see in one of the KOTOR games, which I consider to be pretty good.  Thing is, it began getting laggier for me around the time I added my first companion.  Not horribly so, but a little.  And then it got worse and worse on Hutta, I think because I started out in the middle of the night and then a few hours later it was morning and more and more people started logging on after they woke up.

Yeah, the game usually starts to get laggy for me after a few hours of play.

When I do buy it, do you know if I'll need to roll a new character, or will the one I've been leveling up be saved and available for me to use?

Your current character will be available for use. Word of warning: You will need to subscribe immediately and/or buy a timecard if you wish to play.

What crew skills would be good for me to have my bounty hunter and agent pick up for our imperial groups?

I have Synthweaving and Armormech covered with my Sith Warrior/Bounty Hunter, and Lin has Armstech covered with his Imperial Agent. So... Cybertech or Biochem.

Kay. I'll look into it tomorrow when I make my Bounty Hunter Cityface. I would tonight, but closing shift and work.

• I took Armstech and its related Crew Skills.

Between our Imperial characters and our Republic characters, we are going to have each skill covered twice over. Calling it.

• Well we /are/, but I think that's kind of the point. 

Shall we run a Flashpoint later?

You'd do better to ask to run Flashpoints on the Republic side, as that's the only character I've got who's decently specced and has appropriate gear. My Sith is kind of underpowered for a DPS, my Bounty Hunter is less than Level 10 and only just got her first companion, and my Trooper has been focusing too much on her armour and tanky side and forgetting to focus on healing when healing is her primary aim.

So, Republic, Consular.

• edited 2012-05-19 19:34:53

But I wanna run an Imperial Flashpoint! Teamwork can overcome anything!

Just wanna do Black Talon for now.

Teamwork cannot overcome underpowered characters.

• With three people it can!

But Alk is on close today. He won't be playing.

• What with this talk of groups, I'm interested in how I might be able to help.  After logging in earlier and finding it less laggy than it had been, my BH went Powertech.  So if Team Imperial IJBM lacks a tank, you're in luck.  If not...uh, you're not. <_<

I then rolled a Miraluka Jedi Consular (named Ranis), and decided I ought to ask what advanced class and spec would be most useful for groups of Republic characters.

Also, any advice on crew skills?  I've had Mako learn Investigation, but decided not to commit to any other two until I got some advice.

So far, Team Imperial has a healer (My Bounty Hunter), and several DPS's (Lin's Agent, my Sith Warrior). I don't think we had a tank yet, so that was a pretty great choice. Try to focus on threat management, though. :V

ahhh everyone has a Consular

Republic-wise, we have a tank (my Consular), a DPS (Alk's Consular), a healer (my Trooper) and a DPS (Lin's Knight). So either a dedicated healer or a dedicated tank would work great there.

As to crew skills- So far, we have... every single crafting skill covered. Cybertech, Armstech, Armormech, Artifice, Synthweaving, and Alkthash is going to give his Imperial Agent Biochem. Imperial-wise, though, we lack a Cybertech character, if you want to go that way. They made Armorings, increasing their armour rating and stats, and mods, which go in both weapons and armours. They also make droid parts, earpieces and grenades, and if you're lucky enough to find schematics, can also make speeders and ship parts.

• I don't think we had a tank yet, so that was a pretty great choice. Try to focus on threat management, though. :V

Will do.

ahhh everyone has a Consular

I picked that for two reasons.  First, I remember people on TV tropes playing the game for the first time saying that the Consular story wasn't very interesting compared to the others, so I thought "Okay, I'll see what this is like, and if I don't think it's lame then I think I'll really get into this game."  So far I'm enjoying it. :)  The second reason: I played as a Consular in KOTOR, because I like to fuck enemies up with Force powers more than with my lightsaber. ;)

I'll think of which route I want to go with this guy when he hits level 10, and in the meantime I'll have Mako take up Cybertech as you suggested, plus Scavenging to get raw metarials to craft with.

• I don't have a consular. 

The Consular's story is less... action-packed than most. It's focused more about diplomacy, and the action you face is rather incidental towards that. Like, where the Trooper's origin story has them being betrayed by Havoc Squad on Ord Mantell, the Consular's origin has them facing off against a Force-Sensitive trained by the Force Ghost of an ancient Sith, and the goal is not so much 'kill him' as it is 'cleanse him'. Then you're sent off to deal with Yuon Par's problem, and again, the dealing with other people's problems is mostly incidental to that.

The only time I can remember the Consular actually having an action-based mission is on Balmorra, and it was one of the most awesome things I've done in the game yet. I won't spoil it for you, but you'll know it when you get up to it.

^^ lies

Nova - I still think the most awesome thing I did on Balmorra was when I talked a Sith out of attacking us by making him think of his family. But I haven't finished Balmorra yet because... bluh. I mean I've ignored the other quests and just did class quest shit and still it is taking forever. Once I finish it, I am never going back to that planet, because fuck yeah we got all the datacrons. 

Oh right, I'll be on tonight. Is it going to be imperial or republic characters tonight?

Yeah, fucking Balmorra. Wait until you get to Hoth, though. It is the only planet where I have deliberately left underlevelled because fuck that planet.

The class quest I'm talking about is actually one of the later ones. It involves taking on an entire city of Imperials single-handedly, then finding out that the reinforcements who were supposed to help you were actually taken out by the general who was supporting you, so you have to take him out, even though he's a really powerful and skilled fighter. It's like, you just liberated an entire city single-handedly. And not just a lame city- no, this is the main city on Balmorra for Imperial characters.

• edited 2012-05-20 20:57:35

Yeah, I've got no problem with it not being so action packed, because I like the RP stuff.  I've run into Nalon (the Force Sensitive), and while I haven't yet got to the point where I'm supposed to redeem him, what you described sort of reminds me of how you talk Juhani down from the Dark Side in KOTOR, and I liked doing that.

Plus, I've gotten to kill plenty of Flesh Raiders already, so there's that. (EDIT: Also, Tython's a lot nicer-looking than Hutta.  Not that I didn't enjoy the Hutta missions, mind, but I was glad to get to the Fleet and away from all the brown-ness and the sludge.)

By the way, how smoothly does the game run for all of you, and do you have any advice on what kind of rig I ought to buy in order to minimize lag and other pains in the ass?  Because the computer I was planning on buying looks like it actually wouldn't be very good for this after all.

• edited 2012-05-20 20:58:01
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

My computer is actually not the best, either. I hit fair amounts of lag whenever I play as an Imperial, as there's usually a lot more players there than as a Republic character.

Then again, I play on a laptop.

And yeah, I liked the RP stuff heaps. Also, Qyzen is awesome.

Qyzen is a great companion character and shows Bioware still has some writing chops here and there. 

• Then again, I play on a laptop.

I do too, and I'm looking for another one just because I'm kind of running out of space around here and a laptop obviously takes up less.  Native Jovian on TVT said:

...laptops are generally suboptimal for gaming even in the best of cases. They're more expensive for the same level of performance, and they tend to burn up over time because laptop cases are crap at getting rid of heat.

But I dunno, the one I'm writing this post on right now has been pretty reliable when it comes to games.  At least up until now.

Laptops are suboptimal because they have less processing power, etc. I mean, compare the size of a laptop to the size of a regular tower case.

It's better to get a desktop, but I use the laptop because I can move it around the house when I wish to.

• edited 2012-05-22 00:12:40

Argh. Stupid freaking Sand Demon, killing my shit.

I need to go rest now.

Nova, help me out with this thing later, willya? It's wrecking my shit.

...on second thought, I could do space missions and solo some heroics whilst overleveled to gain some levels.