If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Elder Scrolls

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yep.

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.

Colon Dee.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Ugh. I REALLY wished that stayed a rumor. Hopefully it'll go the Dark Millennium route.

• edited 2012-05-03 17:10:54
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Dark Millennium?

And yeah, I agree. Multiplayer TES frankly sounds like a terrible idea, especially the massive kind.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^A Warhammer 40K MMO that's been in development for years now, recently they announced they would be dropping the MMO aspect and making it a single player game with lots of multiplayer features.

Oh, yeah, I heard about that.

Yeah, I'd like that...much better.

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.

I dunno. I can sorta kinda see it work.

• edited 2012-05-03 17:24:33

It pretty blatantly contradicts a lot of what we know about CHIM, for one thing...

Although actually, a PC in an MMO wouldn't have CHIM, given that it has to be realtime, and you can't load saves and mod the game and stuff...Hm.

Bearing that in mind, I'll wait for more info.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Regardless of the expected quality, the choice to make the MMO a prequel is a wise one, as the MMO style of storytelling leaves no way for further single player sequels. If it was a proper chronological sequel, it would have effectively killed the single player franchise, just like what happened to Warcraft.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It pretty blatantly contradicts a lot of what we know about CHIM, for one thing...

Only if the PC in it has CHIM.

Regardless of the expected quality, the choice to make the MMO a prequel is a wise one, as the MMO style of storytelling leaves no way for further single player sequels.

I would think that The Old Republic alone would call bullshit on that.

Only if the PC in it has CHIM.

Well, yeah, I kinda realized that halfway into the post when I went "although actually, a PC in an MMO wouldn't have CHIM." :P

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Although now they need to find a way to explain the non-permadeath.

Yeah...

Though they could just be one of the rare MMOs with permadeath.

Because that will totally ever happen in a mainstream, AAA MMO :P

I wouldn't play that MMO.

Neither would I (unless it was like a small scale free-to-play thing, which isn't what this will be). And that's why it won't happen.

I'm trying to imagine TES' skill-leveling system in an MMO, though.

It doesn't work :|

Not in a WoW clone, maybe.

Of course, marketing being what it is, I'd bet money that this will be a WoW clone.

I would think that The Old Republic alone would call bullshit on that.

I'd say that the Star Wars Expanded Universe operates on totally different frequencies, for a lot of different reasons.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe began after the first three movies (which were very personal and specific, with no focus on lore), with a simple "okay, you have a vague background, do whatever the hell you want". It has an almost limitless potential for further extensions, due to having no previously defined lore whatsoever to bound it, and because it's in fucking space, man.

Unlike Star Wars, TES, or Warcraft have had clearly defined lore from the beginning (well, not so much for Warcraft; it truly kicked in during the second or the third installment). It cannot be built upon any more in any major, substantial way. Those universes have a very finite potential for extensions.

Considering that various people have accused TOR of being a WoW clone, I'm kind of indifferent to that remark.

I'm imagining that it will use something more like Morrowind's system than Skyrim's.

Unlike Star Wars, TES, or Warcraft have had clearly defined lore from the beginning (well, not so much for Warcraft; it truly kicked in during the second or the third installment). It cannot be built upon any more in any major, substantial way. Those universes have a very finite potential for extensions.

If you really want to play it that way; KOTOR.

Sure, but we need to look at the universes as a whole to make a comparison. KOTOR is just a single drop from a near endless pool.

Considering that various people have accused TOR of being a WoW clone, I'm kind of indifferent to that remark.

I do consider TOR a WoW clone, albeit one with Bioware cutscenes added on, thus giving it a good trait (I kid, I kid, I just don't like the WoW gameplay style much).

So I would really prefer for it to not be one, because even the presence of a good plot generally isn't enough to get me to play a WoW clone, which means that TESO almost certainly won't be any fun for me if it is one.

I'm imagining that it will use something more like Morrowind's system than Skyrim's.

That would be good.

-shrug-

The game is being set in the Second Era. This is waaaay back, back when Tiber Septim was born and was forming his Empire, back when the Aldmeri Dominion was first forming, the Dark Brotherhood is first assembling, the forerunner to the Fighter's Guild is established, and so on, so forth.

Meanwhile, the games as we know them are being set in the Fourth Era. There is still a lot of untapped lore they can expand upon; Dwemer lore, Ayleid lore, the Aldmeri Dominion plotline, the Daedra.

I do consider TOR a WoW clone, albeit one with Bioware cutscenes added on, thus giving it a good trait

booo

• edited 2012-05-03 18:59:57

^^Oh yeah, that's definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Honestly, I kinda want it to have gameplay similar to the main series, albeit with more quickslots and such, to account for real-time.

^Yeah, yeah, I know :P

• edited 2012-05-03 19:02:25
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

@Nova: I mean, a single player sequel after an MMO set in the Fourth Era could work, but only after a huge timeskip. Keep in mind that an MMO, in order to remain interesting from a story and lore perspective, has to offer a huge amount of content at the release, as well as constantly give more and more during its existence. I am afraid that it would eat up a lot of what there is to take.

but only after a huge timeskip

Which is what they did for Skyrim anyway.

I am afraid that it would eat up a lot of what there is to take.

I'm not sure I understand this point. It seems to imply that settings come in fixed units and there can only be a limited amount of story in any one, and therefore if you "run out," you have to stop making content for that setting.

Or just be set on Akaviri. You know, the place which has massive amounts of lore that has never been touched because the games are set on Tamriel and use Tamriel's lore?

Honestly, I kinda want it to have gameplay similar to the main series, albeit with more quickslots and such, to account for real-time.

I don't. That style of combat is honestly more boring to me than WoW-style combat.

-click-

-click-

-click-

-click-

-click-

-enemy dies-

Weeee.

Um...isn't that how WoW-style combat works, albeit with "1-2-3" instead of "right click-left click-right click?"

I just think it would be nice to have something else for once.