If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Elder Scrolls

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay, this is a bit complicated.

Basically, everything in Mundus, or Nim, or whatever you wish to call it- everything in The Elder Scrolls is nothing but a dream of something called the Godhead.

Originally, there was just the Godhead. Then, there was Adu and Padomay. Please, don't get confused; Adu and Padomay are not gods. They are more... forces of nature. Adu is the concept of order, stasis, and Padomay is the concept of chaos, change.

CHIM actually relates back to this. It's why everything is worded confusingly.

Basically, CHIM is the process of acknowledging that everything around you is just the dream of the Godhead, and still retaining your individuality. There are people out there who acknowledge that everything around them is a dream, but because they do not manage to retain their individuality throughout this, they are wiped from existence. Basically, it's either "Everything around me is a dream," which leads to zero-summing, or reconciling two conflicting notions. You must both believe you exist while acknowledging that you don't exist in order to acheive CHIM.

This is why the Godhead is so complicated. It is real, but at the same time, it isn't. Mundus is real, but at the same time, it isn't.

• No rainbow star

^ Ah, I remember reading about that. The article put it as, "Being both 1 and 0 [binary] simultaneously"

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

No, that's wrong. Although I think I read that article too.

Consider 1 as the state of existence, and -1 to be the state of non-existence. When most people realize that the Godhead exists, they make the mental conclusion; 1 + -1 = 0. Bam, they cease to exist; they've been zero-summed. 

To achieve CHIM, you need to come to the conclusion that 1 + -1 = 1.

• No rainbow star

Still sounds like hell to try to figure out (it doesn't seem like it would be as easy as, "Well, in the context of the dream, I exist, so while I don't exist outside of it, I exist in it")

It's not easy, at all. Bethesda has specifically designed it so that it's not easy. Vivec, Talos, and the five PC's have attained it, and as far as we know, that's it.

It would be very complicated. You have to actually follow the path down "This world does not actually exist", but you have to kind of avoid coming to the conclusion that "Because the world does not exist, I do not exist, as I am part of the world."

Basically, you would need to affirm that you exist as you reach the conclusion that the entire world is imagined. Something along the lines of, "I think, therefore, I am." but at the same time, even the very concept of I am is just a delusion, but that's okay.

Because, after all, existence is relative. At least, in this situation.

• No rainbow star

Sounds like a koan

You're a koan.

• No rainbow star
    :o
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Joshu (A.D. 778-897) was a famous Chinese Zen Master who lived in Joshu, the province from which he took his name. One day a troubled monk approached him, intending to ask the Master for guidance. A dog walked by. The monk asked Joshu, "Has that dog a Buddha-nature or not?" The monk had barely completed his question when Joshu shouted: "MU!"

wat

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

A koan.

I know. But wat.

• edited 2012-04-28 11:36:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

"I think, therefore, I am."

This is the core of it. Clearly something exists, which, rather than making you nothing per se, would make you a thought or idea (or chunk of binary information) within that something. And a thought can interact with the thought next to it in ways that a person cannot interact with the person next to him. Thus, CHIM.

• No rainbow star
    ^ So are you saying that it really is that easy, but most characters who would attempt it overcomplicate it and end up thinking themselves into nothingness?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, the thing is that the natural order of thinking it through has you arrive at the "I don't exist" conclusion before you arrive at the "but the concept of me still exists," but if you arrive at the first part without immediately figuring the second part out, you cease to exist, which makes it difficult to finish thinking it through.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Ah, so they have to arrive at both conclusions at the same time

think so. That, or somehow arrive at the second conclusion first (which isn't impossible, just highly unlikely, hence only seven (or nine, if you count the spinoff games, I guess) succeeding.

• No rainbow star

Imagine if something like CHIM existed in real life...

This is the core of it. Clearly something exists, which, rather than making you nothing per se, would make you a thought or idea (or chunk of binary information) within that something.

The biggest thing here, though, is your need to reaffirm your existence. And while a thought may exist for a given definition of 'existence', thoughts are also passive and fleeting.

I gotta love CHIM, really. It's the best way I've seen for anyone to interact with the mechanics of the medium, without actually going all-out and breaking the fourth wall entirely.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Carry Weight: 3327/400
    You are carrying too much to be able to run.

Anyone care to guess what I'm doing?

• No rainbow star

^ Dragon stuff?

Dragon Smithing?

Nope. I'm moving houses — taking everything out of Breezehome and moving it all to Proudspire Manor.

whoa

Don't do that. Stuff disappears if you put it in Proudspire Manor.

That's been fixed.

I've been living in Proudspire Manor for a while now and it hasn't given me any problems.

That's been fixed.

Why couldn't it have been fixed before I lost my Ebony Greatsword with the Soul Trap enchantment...

• No rainbow star
    ^ Because Bethesda feeds on your suffering
  • edited 2012-05-03 17:06:51
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

A TES MMO was announced. It'll take place 1000 years before Skyrim (so I guess before any of the games) and cover the entire contintent.

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.

Wait.

Seriously?