If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2013-03-28 01:20:25

Has she at least saved anyone from drowning in the sea by dumping her school clothes in mid-run and diving in in her swimsuit?

Probably, earlier on, I think. Wait, haven't you watched the second season yet?

I think even for that time period, Toei must have cut a lot of corners in the animation department.

If their work on The Transformers was any indication, they were at least better than AKOM back then.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Nope, I haven't.

• edited 2013-03-28 22:56:52
    Has friends besides tanks now

Finished Girls und Panzer. That Maus takedown was magical. And the ending in general was really nice, too.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Would you recommend it? You seem vaguely aware of my tastes and I'm almost done with Jormungand.

• ^^^ Huh, a post you made some pages ago sounded like you have.

• edited 2013-03-29 00:43:53
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ I would wholeheartedly recommend it. I honestly can't remember the last time I just plain had this much fun with anything, let alone watching anything; I was pretty much giddy with excitement during the whole finale. The first episode's really bland and info-dumpy, but it picks up in grand fashion with the very next episode. It's even pretty restrained in situations that would typically be overly fanservice-y. On a basic level, it's just moeshit + tactical sports anime + surprisingly well-informed tribute to WWII tanks, but it all comes together splendidly.

Lagrange's and AKB0048's second seasons are both on tap for me but I have yet to get to them.

• edited 2013-03-29 00:49:43

Hey, more Symphogear! New main director and character designer? Also, redesigned gear outfits, for some reason.

^ oh. Well, Lagrange's second season at least makes things far less confusing. Like that lady who suddenly appeared in ep. 12.

Who in episode 12?

And I enjoyed the first season even though it was confusing.  It was like I started out not knowing anything but the end I felt an emotional connection to the characters.  At least both Madoka and Lan, despite not really knowing their backgrounds (especially Lan).

• edited 2013-03-29 01:23:58

Girl on the far left here. If I recall correctly, she suddenly appeared and Madoka was like, "wait who are you?"

edit:her name is already a spoiler, actually...

edit again: okay, here's a link that doesn't show her name. That scene looks amusingly odd taken out of context.

Oh, she's showed up in previous episodes before.

And I presume she's associated with the Voxes and how they actually work.

• edited 2013-03-29 01:59:56
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Hey, more Symphogear! New main director and character designer? Also, redesigned gear outfits, for some reason.

The news about S2 was out for a while but I'm kind of sad that the director got replaced, but I guess we'll just see how that goes.

The redesigned gears might be because the new character designer wanted to show off or because they met somewhere in the middle with the unlimited and limited gears for their new powerset? I really like them, Chris' especially. I like how their faces, especially Hibiki's, look much more dynamic.

"Sayonara Gungnir"? Don't kill her again, please.

And is MAL seriously going to call it "Senki Zesshou Symphogear G : In the distance that day, the star became music..."

AKB0048's second seasons

You need to start watching this now so that we can at least talk about it by Fall.

This better not mean we're getting a sequel to this instead of any other KyoAni anime in the past two years.

My bets are on second season. So I won't be watching yet another KyoAni anime.

So P3 will now be more than one movie. Not yay.

Also wth universe how is this getting an auto second season! I mean, I had a feeling that the writing was leaving a lot of room for one but seriously?

I mean, I like it, but I've already said why it isn't exactly something I want lots more of.

• But they still aren't going to get a new writer... :/

• edited 2013-03-29 01:54:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, MAL calls the first season of Symphogear "Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then...".

And okay okay I'll go download it.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Uta~Kata 12

There really is nothing I have to say about this episode because it was literally perfect. Okay, like 98% perfect. It makes sense of everything and follows through with all it's promises. I loved it. It's the best thing I've seen this year. But for some reason it's also really hard to talk about all the individual elements but I guess I should at least mention all the really great visual metaphors.

Now I'm wondering why exactly there's an OVA since well, perfectness and all.

But they still aren't going to get a new writer... :/

For Symphogear?

Also Hakkenden got an S2 somebody validate my anger!

There's a reason I don't really like the OVA.

• edited 2013-03-29 03:04:41

And I presume she's associated with the Voxes and how they actually work.

Just out of curiosity, what relationships do you think she'll have with the other characters? And do you think there's any possible way that scene with her and Madoka punching each other could make sense?

The redesigned gears might be because the new character designer wanted to show off or because they met somewhere in the middle with the unlimited and limited gears for their new powerset? I really like them, Chris' especially. I like how their faces, especially Hibiki's, look much more dynamic.

Hibiki's looks a little more magical now, and Tsubasa's looks more streamlined. Chris looks a little more agressive. I don't quite like how they look a wee bit less uniform, though.

Also, a few people on another forum descirbed the changes as subtle. Maybe for Tsubasa but, are these seriously "subtle" changes, for magical girl standards? To me at least, "subtle" is going from this to this.

"Sayonara Gungnir"? Don't kill her again, please.

To be honest, I would've been totally fine if she died in season one. Miku getting her own powers would have felt more natural with how that epilogue played out. Ooh, maybe she'll just lose her Relic, and any potential sequel won't have her in a starring role.

> Just out of curiosity, what relationships do you think she'll have with the other characters? And do you think there's any possible way that scene with her and Madoka punching each other could make sense?

Which scene was that?  Is that in ep 12?

And I presume that she's some sort of spirit embedded in or associated with the Voxes, drawing on the spirit or soul of their pilots, which brings her into the emotional consciousness of the pilots.

• No, the punching thing is the second picture I posted, and it's in season two.

Okay, you just gotta watch for yourself to find out how wrong or right you are.

• edited 2013-03-29 03:51:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I surmise that Madoka's fighting against the fatalistic spirit of the machine to convince it that it doesn't have to be part of the cycle of disaster and ruin.

• edited 2013-03-29 03:59:13
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

All Nines:

god damnit youtube stop letting me down

• edited 2013-03-29 04:21:02
    There is love everywhere, I already know

There's a reason I don't really like the OVA.

Awww. Okay, one side of me says the end was perfect, with Ichika remaining as she is yet changing naturally and then meeting Sei on their way to school but still remembering Manatsu but the other says it could be like UN-GO Episode 0 which didn't take away or actually add much to the narrative of the TV series, but explained all those little details you'd want explained and manage to give even more depth to certain characters choices and relationships while also giving a meaningful standalone story. The second isn't very likely since Uta~Kata did all it's explaining in series.

Speaking of the finale, I seriously love that part where Ichika puts her hands through the metal spikes holding her down and tries to tell herself to bear it while Manatsu tells her she's lying and then "Even so". Aside from the metal spikes being a beautiful metaphor for everything Ichika and everyone else has to deal with while growing up it was a really just wonderful and poignant scene. I should also mention how much I loved how they did the blood, half-realism V half-dream world.

Also now that I know the virtues and sins every episode goes over the re-watch will feel like watching new material! The 12th Djinn was a great reveal too.

And I said I couldn't go on at length about this show.

I feel like in another show they would've had Saya continuing her quest be a detriment to her character but it really expanded my view of her as a being with emotions and not just as an evil witch. In fact I think the OVA could work if it focused entirely on Saya and maybe Ichika and Sei before/after as they start/move on.

I don't quite like how they look a wee bit less uniform, though.

I actually think that it could be interesting but I'll need to see full character scans before I can really tell.

Duh official website.

The new character designs make them look less GONZO but not exactly typical modern anime. Aside from Chris looking more agressive I think she looks a little more adorable. I'll miss her black zettai ryouiki, but the white ones look pretty cool. I think I've changed my mind, Tsubasa looks a bit better than Chris so she's my new favoraite, really nice and streamlined. Hibiki's gloves make her look more MANLY to me, actually. Also, I noticed her hair is curlier and less frayed, so that might explain the more magical look.

They also look uniform, but uniform to the new style. I guess Hibiki still has a lot of black leftover compared to the others and that's what's throwing it off.

Great now I can't stop thinking about Tsubasa taking Hibiki out for a haircut.

are these seriously "subtle" changes, for magical girl standards?

I think so.

The only questions left unanswered are who S. is and who is on the other end of the phone line. (spoilers so abbreviation and i'm too lazy to spoiler tag)

But those were the kind of things I think are perfectly fine to leave unsaid. I mean, of course I'm interested in Saya but it's kind of fun to come up with theories on her.

In other news, I listened to CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA for the first time ever (The FLOW versions, both English and Japanese) and I understand how people could sit through seven episode fights in DragonBall now. The Japanese version is just awesome.

I think that there's quite a bit of interesting things for fans to do when stuff is actually left open-ended like that.

• edited 2013-03-29 09:12:13

The new character designs make them look less GONZO but not exactly typical modern anime. Aside from Chris looking more agressive I think she looks a little more adorable. I'll miss her black zettai ryouiki, but the white ones look pretty cool. I think I've changed my mind, Tsubasa looks a bit better than Chris so she's my new favoraite, really nice and streamlined. Hibiki's gloves make her look more MANLY to me, actually. Also, I noticed her hair is curlier and less frayed, so that might explain the more magical look.

I meant by magical, it's how the boots are fancier, and she has a big scarf that somehow doesn't say "KAMEN RIDER". But now that I think about it, I'd like to see her play the drums just because that kind of thing amuses me.

They also look uniform, but uniform to the new style. I guess Hibiki still has a lot of black leftover compared to the others and that's what's throwing it off.

Hm, maybe.

I think so.

Well, to me "subtle" is when the changes are easily ignored. Like say, the changes to Rider 1's costume between Kamen Rider the FIRST and Kamen Rider the NEXT. Also, why is it that "ultimate" form costumes almost always look... overdesigned? And I mean in general.

In other news, I listened to CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA for the first time ever (The FLOW versions, both English and Japanese) and I understand how people could sit through seven episode fights in DragonBall now. The Japanese version is just awesome.

the original version by Hironobu Kageyama is even more so. Because... Kageyama.

Well, to me "subtle" is when the changes are easily ignored. Like say, the changes to Rider 1's costume between Kamen Rider the FIRST and Kamen Rider the NEXT. Also, why is it that ultimate form costumes almost always look... overdesigned? And I mean in general.

Because they need to look special and awesome and final. So Special+Awesome+Final=Everything the Character Designer can think of. It goes both ways, sometimes the overdesigning actually manages to come up with a great looking costume that is also reminiscent of base form and also looks great. Then there's really bad ideas that are just whatever fifty ideas the costume designer had put together.

Because... Kageyama.

True. His Rock Lee Seishun no Full Power Neinden theme is really great.

• edited 2013-03-29 12:28:10

Honestly, I've almost never found a final/ultimate form to be very good. They give the impression of simultaneously trying too hard, yet not hard enough. Exceptions are mainly designs that are almost total overhauls like Ultimate Madoka. Note that I'm not really talking from a magical girl context here...

By the way, looks like Akane will only cost slightly more than either Symphogear girl did (4000 yen including tax as opposed to 3600-3800). But I don't really feel like getting one anyway.

True. His Rock Lee Seishun no Full Power Neinden theme is really great.

I don't know much about Naruto, but the guy pretty much always sounds awesome. Like here.

• Has friends besides tanks now

IJBM: I don't know how I feel about Girls und Panzer getting a second season. The show already feels complete.

By the way, looks like Akane will only cost slightly more than either Symphogear girl did (4000 yen including tax as opposed to 3600-3800). But I don't really feel like getting one anyway.

:D /preordersbutnotreallysinceIshouldprobablywaittillmorningbeforeplayingwithtransactionsinvolvingmoney

They truly brought her to life in 3D!

That finish on her uniform, shoes and socks is remarkable.

I don't know how I feel about Girls und Panzer getting a second season. The show already feels complete.

When was this confirmed?

If it is, then yes, it'll feel weird.