If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

I've found Cromartie High School to be really, really fun as long as you don't watch too much at once.

• You can change. You can.

yeah, you can overdose in the weird. it's kinda why i haven't watched past the first episode for now and going at a slow pace with it rather than binging it.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

how does it feel juan? to know perfection?

you are watching the dub right?

• You can change. You can.

how does it feel juan? to know perfection?

heavenly

you are watching the dub right?

yes

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I have been holding off on Cromartie for the longest time and I don't even have any fucking idea why. Must fix this as soon as possible.

• edited 2013-03-24 23:26:41
    Has friends besides tanks now

Just watched the first episode of Humanity is Declining. Pretty good start it's off to. It's funny, the visuals are pretty, and the fairies are fuckin adorable.

• edited 2013-03-24 23:44:31

Cromartie seems really dumb and not in a good way.  I only watched one scene of it ever, granted, but it didn't exactly leave a good enough impression on me that I wanted to watch more.  More than that though, it's just like... whenever anybody talks about it, they always do the whole "I don't ever like anime comedy, but Cromartie was hilarious!" thing which doesn't exactly make me want to watch it, as a person who does like other comedy anime.  Also it apparently gets compared to DMC and DMC was pretty bad from what I remember.

• edited 2013-03-24 23:42:57

Except that's not how Madoka uses it; she uses it as a karate machine.

Eh, it's really annoying to put into poses and stuff. Plus I didn't have any opponents on hand besides this guy. Or were you referring to the "flying" part? I don't remember season one well, but so far into season 2, it spends much of what little time on-screen so far by not being on the ground. If you were referring to the picture, that was the only pose I had on my mind at the time that the figure can easily manage.

Also, designing a robot with high heels is a terrible idea pretty much anytime you plan to make an action figure of it.

Maybe!  But with lesbians and stock footage, I'm sure.

I have no idea if this is good or bad /hasnotwatchedanythingbysaiddirector,sadly

• There is love everywhere, I already know

AKB0048 Next Stage 08: The Radiance of Akibastar, and the Center Nova

I'm pretty sure this isn't Yuuko's final goodbye, I sincerely hope it isn't at least. Maybe for this season though.

I see what Mii-chan was up to, trying to open the gate to allow Acchan to come back.

This wasn't much of a character driven episode, which surprised me since last week we witnessed the birth of a new Mariko. I loved Tsubasa and Mr. Sono (I see where Chieri gets her idol-ness from :D) in this episode, but Mii-chan still has some extremely weak writing so it was hard to watch this episode go on with her being one of the central figures in it.

Tsubasa-wise, I'm not too happy that they didn't reference her position in 00 too much but we got to see her as a leader again, which is something I like. Mr. Sono was quite cool and kawaii (Yes, you can shoot me now)

Aesthetics-wise I'm happy with Chieri's new civillian look, Akibastar Burning was awesome looking and well choreographed. Center Nova stuff was nice and pretty.

One thing that did intrigue me is the girls ages, Acchan, Takamina, Yuuko, Mariko 1 and Miichan were all in 00 together, so unless most of the Acchan drama happened in a short period of time their ages present a problem.

AKB0048 Next Stage 09: Space Battleship Flying Get 0048

Even more subtle characterization for Mr. Sono and we even get to see Mr. Motomiya again. Something makes me think that now that all the plot pieces are falling together we're returning to form characterization-wise. Nagisa is showing her determination in order to save someone and Chieri is doing it to undo the damage her father seeks to wreak over the universe.

So Miichan (Remember her? She cut off her hair IRL a while back and it was a big deal.) betrays 0048 and regains their trust, no real life parallels there.

Now that the plot has been laid bare, I see no way this show will return to any of the subtle political cues of the past, it's just AKB0048 V Zodiac. The alternate world is also interesting but not as... well done as what happened in Zetsuen no Tempest. In fact I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near that, sadly.

Arghh now this show has to deal with this huge bunch of kenkyuusei when the only ones that ever matter are Nagisa and Chieri.

• They're somethin' else.

Okay, so I'm watching Elfen Lied.

... I've loved the shit out of Koichi Ohata animes like Genocyber and MD Geist, but I can't for the life of me bring myself to like this. I don't know why. I hate the artstyle, the pacing and the harem manga antics.

• edited 2013-03-26 04:48:37

I'm continuing with Lagrange season 2, and so far Madoka hasn't been in much actual combat. Kinda weird, since it's not like with Madoka Kaname who was basically useless most of the time. I get why the story is going this way,  but it's feels odd that even though I'm about halfway through this season, the most actiony scenes with the protagonist have been trying to break up a fight with Lan and Muginami, then mentally trying to hit Yurikano.

@Schitzo

>... I've loved the shit out of Koichi Ohata animes like Genocyber and MD Geist

>MD Geist

Wait, as in, unironically or in a so bad it's good way? (I've never seen that one, just that there was nothing I've heard of it that says anything genuinely good)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Has she at least saved anyone from drowning in the sea by dumping her school clothes in mid-run and diving in in her swimsuit?

Vividred Operation 11: Liars, Truths and crazy bird creatures.

We start with exactly where we left off last week and continue on to watch how Rei affected each of the members of Team Vivid (aside from Wakaba, of course). Aoi, Himawari and Akane especially allow us lots of introspection as to how they feel about Rei, it's great.

Grandplush continues to campaign for friendship as a backdrop for the growing relationship between Rei and Akane, I really enjoyed the two girls talk in the latter half of the episode. It's great and emotional.

As for the plot, I like where it's headed. Then we have crazy bird lady, who I think is going to be a very good villain, but I still want to see them.

That last moment was even more cliffhanger-ey than the last episode, and of course was followed up by Vivid Shining Sky :D

I mean, Elfen Lied is praised for the GORE, GORE, BLOOD TITS GORE, but there's many a schlocky 80's anime that's done the whole thing just right. I don't like how... confused Elfen Lied is with it's own subject matter.

Yeah, I suppose I liked MD Geist in a "lol hurf" kinda way. It has it's cheesy charm. My favorite ultraviolent 80's anime (aside from Hokuto No Ken) is probably Wicked City.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, hey, we watched the first episode of Fist of the North Star yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it, even in a So Bad It's Good way. :V

GJ-bu is a fun show, though, and Attack on Titan (wow, what a contrast from GJ-bu) is still great 14 chapters in.

• edited 2013-03-26 12:41:38
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I always thought Fist of the North star was much better in manga format anyway.

• edited 2013-03-26 12:43:24
    Has friends besides tanks now

I don't remember if I had that thought yesterday, but it would make a lot of sense, considering lol80'sanimation.

I also keep getting it mixed up with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, for some reason. I think I would have rather watched that, though.

• I mean, Elfen Lied is praised for the GORE, GORE, BLOOD TITS GORE, but there's many a schlocky 80's anime that's done the whole thing just right.

Because those are OVAs older than most of EL's target audience.

• edited 2013-03-26 16:39:43

GJ-bu is a fun show, though,

GJ-bu is the secret best moe girl show of the season.  Out of Vividred, GJ-bu, Tamako, and Love Live, it's the only one that hasn't disappointed me in any way yet.  Also it has a really nice soundtrack by Hajime Hyakkoku (who also did the OST for K-ON!, which I thought was really good despite what other people seemed to think of it) and manages to do the pseudo-harem thing (by which I mean, it's not actually a harem but it still has just the one male protagonist surrounded by cute girls) without it being awkward or taking focus away from slice-of-life shenanigans.

Also it didn't have a beach episode, so I think that makes it the most creative anime in years.

• edited 2013-03-26 16:51:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There needs to be a category or list made for "anime series starring cute girls that don't contain beach or pool episodes".

Alternatively, a chart of how many beach or pool episodes are in each anime series starring cute girls.

Standard fourteenwings procedure:

>I'm not watching this cause [X]

>Wait, it's magical girl?

>On board!

It made sense for about ten seconds, then something strange happened.

Yeah, definitely don't watch the Fist Of The North Star anime. YOU WA SHOCK be damned, the animation is just so... Toei.

The manga is infinitely better.

Smile Precure 47 & 48: OKAY

Yes, it's okay. It's quite emotional in parts and then it goes off and pulls really dumb writing stunts, but I sort of liked it.

Also it was basically just a Miyuki and Candy finale (but mostly, annoyingly Candy).

AKB0048 Next Stage 10: Resolution and Resonation and Stuff

We return to our original protagonists (aside from Yuuko, that is) and I was quite surprised by how good it was.

I'll start with the funny Sonata and Suzuko bits, they actually worked! Suzuko's dream was pretty hilarious too.

Then we have Orine, who is faced with her own self-confidence issues and manages to make friends with (for all of four seconds) one of the species that calls this planet home. I liked seeing her determination and I was surprised that the writers remembered she could be quite diplomatic. I loved that they also remembered that she's the one who has (obviously) lost the most. She's experienced so much loss over her lifetime and I'm glad that instead of quitting or trying to forget she got up and did something about it.

We have Chieri and Nagisa (mostly Chieri, but Nagisa plays an integral part). The two of them have (surprisingly) grown close again and Nagisa sharing her father's stories about her dad was really sweet. I wonder if they'll ever go back to being rivals for Center Nova again after this because their motives really do require it but they seem like they're working really closely together. I can't wait to see what transpires as they go off on their own adventure.

As for the rest of the episode, it was pretty awesome, the dualium resonation seems to be becoming a really awesome plot point and I have no idea whether I want it or not but Tsubasa seems to want to turn the girls into a real fighting force, maybe we will have our AKB0048 freedom fighters after all.

And while Takamina wasn't exactly in this episode, she was pretty awesome in the performance.

Hakkenden : Touhou Hakken Ibun 08 & 09: Where's the direction?

I should start off by mentioning that when the bead holders are on screen the show is really great and they play off each other very well, but aside from the main cast and Asakeno's sister most of the characters are just kind of... there, especially Hamaji, who causes yet another mess of absolute nothingness in 09.

I'm still not even sure what the plushie/girl was, and I think it's because the plotting was weak and not cause I'm an idiot or something. Will she ever show up again? Because the preview says otherwise. All we get is that she's some lingering thing from Shino, but I didn't even know Shino had any sort of soul-reading power he can't access.

And then she also kind of messes up 08, which has her brother show up and nothing happen on that front because they don't meet but the one scene with them played so much that it becomes really annoying and I just want it resolved.

It is really weird that the reason I started watching this show has become the worst part of it, but to be honest I think it's worth it sometimes. I'm on the fence as always as to whether it could develop a plot but the murderer/the guy Shino fights at the end of the OP shows up next time and that might be cool.

Just... when Hamaji is offscreen and out of narrative everything is great but when she is everything is kind of annoying and boring, how is that? I mean, you'd expect the character herself is onscreen she'd be terrible but she isn't, she's just very generic, it's just that the things related to her just all suck really bad. I mean, when we were in the mountains last week everything was going great and I expected greatness but as soon as a plot ties itself to her it all goes to the dogs really fast.

the animation is just so... Toei.

What's so wrong with Toei?

I think even for that time period, Toei must have cut a lot of corners in the animation department.

• Even now they have actual policies against having too much animation in their anime.

wait what

• Well it's basically just that they don't want to spend tons of money on big episodes and then have nothing left over by the end of the series, but the way I've heard it described just sounded really odd.  Though for all I know maybe it's normal.  Basically if an episode director for a Toei show (at least for one of their long series.  Probably not for stuff like Kyousougiga) wants to use more than the standard number of unique frames of animation in an episode, they're discouraged from doing so, but if they really want to then they have to take away an equal number of frames from some other episode(s).

• edited 2013-03-27 18:47:09

(text says "Contract renewed.  Jaoushingan.")

This better not mean we're getting a sequel to this instead of any other KyoAni anime in the past two years.

(though it probably just means there'll be an OVA or something)