If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Who Would Win General Discussion

Comments

• Definitely not gay.

Well defeat doesn't necessarily entail death, anyways. 

• I thought it was just Alduin who was shifted forward in time? Why is Paarthurnax still around, otherwise?

• Definitely not gay.

But in the lore it's stated that a High King slew a dragon. You even see the dragon's skull in Dragonsreach.

And it bears repeating: defeat does not necessarily mean death.

• This is explained in the main quest. They were actually shifted forward in time.

Well, that doesn't really sound like a victory for them, so...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I thought it was just Alduin who was shifted forward in time? Why is Paarthurnax still around, otherwise?

It was indeed just Alduin who shifted forwards in time. The other dragons died.

Dragons are immortal because they can be continuously resurrected. When an ordinary mortal is resurrected, they are resurrected as zombies, thralls, etc. Ordinary dragons are not.

But in the lore it's stated that a High King slew a dragon. You even see the dragon's skull in Dragonsreach.

No; Numinex was trapped in Dargonsreach, but his manner of death is currently unknown.

• edited 2013-03-19 02:22:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well defeat doesn't necessarily entail death, anyways. 

Okay, but the TF2 PCs are good at killing stuff, so if they're up against something that can only be defeated by powerful magical time-travel rituals or something...they're pretty fucked.

I thought it was just Alduin who was shifted forward in time? Why is Paarthurnax still around, otherwise?

Paarthurnax sided with the mortals, so they just didn't do him, I think. It's been awhile since I've done the main quest.

I'd guess that he was dragonborn. From the wiki:

According to Adonato Leotelli's account, Olaf and the Dragon, Olaf One-Eye fought the dragon Numinex with the aid of Thu'um in the presence of several witnesses.

Use of Thu'um strengthens that theory.

Ninja'd.

It was indeed just Alduin who shifted forwards in time. The other dragons died.

Dragons are immortal because they can be continuously resurrected. When an ordinary mortal is resurrected, they are resurrected as zombies, thralls, etc. Ordinary dragons are not.

Ah, okay. My mistake then.

• edited 2013-03-19 02:22:07
    Definitely not gay.

So Paarthurnax is screwed, then.

^Not all thu'um users are Dragonborn. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Not all thu'um users are Dragonborn.

Yes, but all thu'um users who can permanently kill a dragon are Dragonborn.

But that's moot, given what Nova ninja'd me with.

• Definitely not gay.

The cast of TF2 are heavily trained killers, each one of them. Soldier and Heavy alone could probably take Paarthurnax. He'd be like a bug to them.

Yeah, okay. Hence the "ah, okay, my mistake then" after Nova's post.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So Paarthurnax is screwed, then.

No; I do not believe that Alduin is the only being that can resurrect dragons.

Unless you slew him, in which case, yes; his soul is now a part of you, and he can never be resurrected.

The cast of TF2 are heavily trained killers, each one of them. Soldier and Heavy alone could probably take Paarthurnax. He'd be like a bug to them.

Paarthurnax is also a veteran of many wars. He is ancient, powerful, and he can fly.

Furthermore, Paarthurnax can simply fly beyond their reach and summon a meteor storm.

• Yeah, but their weapons aren't all that good against something that big or tough. 

• Oh yeah, forgot about this:

The strongest thing the Demifiend survives in-game is the local equivalent to a nuclear blast (albeit one made of divine energy). In terms of abilities, at peak power, he can summon 3 allies, including members of various pantheons.

Hmm, I guess he wins then, since I doubt any of the Madoka girls can match  nuke-level destruction. Not counting Madoka's Ultimate self or Witch form.

On the flipside, he /has/ been beaten before.

What did it take to do that?

• Definitely not gay.

Furthermore, Paarthurnax can simply fly beyond their reach and summon a meteor storm.

I thought only Alduin could do that. I fought Paarthurnax using console commands and he has the stats of a weak common Dragon.

I thought only Alduin could do that. I fought Paarthurnax using console commands and he has the stats of a weak common Dragon.

It's specifically a Dragon-specific Shout, but in lore, there's absolutely no reason for Paarthurnax not to know it.

• It's specifically a Dragon-specific Shout, but in lore, there's absolutely no reason for Paarthurnax not to know it.

You could argue that Paarthurnax's millenniums of meditation on the Way of the Voice has cost him the use of his more powerful destructive shouts.

• No rainbow star
    Xenomorphs break into Aperture Science. Their goal? Get to the human vault. Group of 15. Who wins? Xenomorphs or GLaDOS?

Assume that the lab is fully repaired, with no gaps to get behind the walls

Xenomorphs. They bleed acid. They can get through walls.

• No rainbow star
    GLaDOS does have full control over the makeup of the labs, however. Couldn't she set it up to slow down the xenomorphs, but not enough that they try bleeding their way through, then set up a room where it is full of energy orbs and lasers?
  • I'm a damn twisted person

^^ CU - but with 15 xenomorphs there is only so much blood. And it would take about one dead one to get through 1, maybe 2 walls tops. That isn't going to get them very far in aperture labs. 

Yes, but she is also compelled to make the rooms have that slim survival margin because tests that instantly kill the participant are boring. If anything, she would try to herd them somewhere and design tests around non human physiology. 

And while Xenomorphs have an animal cunning, I'm fairly sure they don't know how to work tech and would get stumped on a lot of things. Most likely scenario is that they get stuck in a room and devolve into cannibalism. 

• You can change. You can.

without bleeding, actually.

Honestly, though, you have to remember that in both Alien and Aliens end with Ripley throwing the aliens into space and uh yeah

• No rainbow star
    ^^ She does do execution rooms if the test subject pisses her off enough (Chell in the first game when she escaped the inferno trap. That really ticked off GLaDOS)

CU - but with 15 xenomorphs there is only so much blood. And it would take about one dead one to get through 1, maybe 2 walls tops. That isn't going to get them very far in aperture labs. 

Fair enough.

In that case, GLaDOS would probably just have fun toying with them.

• I think GLaDOS would win out in the end, but it would be close. The key thing on my mind is that everyone in the Alien franchise (except for Ripley) always underestimates just how cunning and resourceful the Xenos are, and think GLaDOS would end up doing the same. As was mentioned, GLaDOS would design tests with a slim survival margin rather than just outright executing them, and that would bite her in the arse as I believe they'd be able to use that, eventually, as an opportunity to get into the walls and get a good distance towards their prey. Some of them are pretty fast too (the Dog Alien in 3 can match a human at full sprint whilst climbing on the walls and ceilings), so that would probably come into play in a lot of cases.

But of course, I'm biased and making a load of rubbish points.

• But you never had any to begin with.

The thing is, when worst comes to worst, GLaDOS has no moral qualms about flat out murder.

• You can change. You can.

Hell, she does try to outright kill you in the end. It's just that you had a nifty portal gun. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

What if she used the assembly line that made P-Body and Atlas, but tweaked their models to have actual turret guns?

Oh man Turret Marines. Walking down a dark corridor, laser bouncing around with a cry of "Are you still there?" when the Xeno drops from the ceiling. 

• No rainbow star
    Now I want a Xenomorph invasion mod for Portal 2...
  • But you never had any to begin with.

Minato Arisato (Persona 3) vs. Yu Narukami (Persona 4). No allies, any Persona they can personally get, and instant death immunity for both of them.

• edited 2013-03-27 19:49:54
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Minato's ultimate Persona is literally the messiah. I'm going with him.