If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-06-22 00:55:07
    There is love everywhere, I already know

X-2 really utilized ATB well though (And most of the time charge times took over it so you could just have another turn anyways).

^ My first was FFAnthology on the PS in 2003, I really didn't play the rest until around 2004, I just really liked IV/V/VI enough to play them until then... (Plus I was young and sucked at them so it took me a while to get used to the system and beat them all).

• edited 2012-06-22 00:52:57
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I haven't really tried fighting Sting Chameleon with buster only.  Might do that tomorrow.

Storm Eagle's stage theme sounds "cool", but isn't my favorite.

• Good luck then.

We know for a fact it certainly isn't Chill Penguin. :P

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Sting Chameleon's falling spikes attack is just random as hell though.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-06-22 00:57:56

Yes, indeed it is.

Then perhaps trying it again I might change my answer to Launch Octopus seeing how I thought the rest of the Mavericks have predictable AIs and certain tricks to beat them.

And looking at some videos reminds why I use charge shots for the most part is that some of the fights just drag on.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Guys help me. Every video game I've tried playing for the past few weeks has seemed like a chore. Shooters? Run to places and shoot dudes and try not to get shot? RPG and MMO, grind and get bogged down by mobs and random encounters when you try to explore for the cool thing you want. Sandbox? Tedium. Puzzle games? Knowing how to execute the solution but fucking it up half the time.

It's like... I want to like playing video games again, but they all seem like such a chore to me right now. I know the stories and aesthetics and music are great but it all seems like a total slog whenever I try. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Try something relying on twitch skill that forces you to pay attention like god hand. 

• edited 2012-06-22 01:37:56
    They're somethin' else.

You're burnt out. Step away from them for a bit.

That or I dunno, play like a quick pick up and play arcade game or something /totallynotpimpinghisfavgenre

Also, ^A THOUSAND times, that.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think you have two essential options:

1. Take a break. Don't play games for a few days, a week, a few weeks, a month, whatever. 

2. Go back to basics. Try out some casual games, or try a genre you don't often play. For "hardcore" gamers like us, I think diversity is pretty important, and lots of AAA titles are severely deficient in that respect. 

See here's the thing. I don't really play regularly anymore. Like I'll go weeks without touching my consoles for anything. So taking a break does nothing because I just can't get the interest for it to begin with. It's more like feeble attempts when I'm bored. 

And fuck Arcade games and twitch stuff. The lives mechanics and platforming piss me off. And twitch games no just no because my timing always sucks*, so thus punish me just for hitting play. Casual games... I don't even know what this term means anymore. 

*and always will suck

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Arkham Asylum, maybe? It's technically a sandbox, but mostly focuses on the main story missions.

Already played the two Batman games.

Maybe I'm just burnt out about gaming in general? I dunno. How do I fix this?

Hmmm...

I dunno about fixing gaming burnout in general, but...hmmm...

I suppose you've played the Assassin's Creed games too? (again, sandbox, but there's still a lot of game if you just go through the story)

And Cid Raines is  DOOOOOWWWWN.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Maybe I'm just burnt out about gaming in general? I dunno. How do I fix this?

Try out new stuff, mostly. 

Also, because JRPGs have been discussed a lot (mostly due to me) Fuck FFVII. Persona 4 is the best JRPG ever made and you owe it to yourself to play it.

• ^This man speaks the truth.

• edited 2012-06-22 02:47:21
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm waiting on the Vita release. Working on finishing P3P until then.

That and Assassin's Creed: Awesome Pirate Lady are what convinced me to get a Vita, though I'm waiting until Persona 4 actually comes out/a price drop/both.

• edited 2012-06-22 02:54:18
    I'm a damn twisted person

Already played Persona 4.

Really I can't get around the fact that at the end of the day almost every video game's inherent objective guided nature just makes it feel like a chore. Go do something. Go do another thing. Go do the first thing again. Go here, backtrack there, reconfigure stuff, sell stuff and save up money and blah de blah da blah. 

The games all feel like work I guess. It's like I guess, there doesn't seem to be an emotional payoff big enough to justify slogging through the objectives and stuff. 

• edited 2012-06-22 02:53:39

Same, minus the Assassin's Creed because I want to finish Brotherhood.

Really I can't get around the fact that at the end of the day almost every video game's inherent objective guided nature just makes it feel like a chore. Go do something. Go do another thing. Go do the first thing again. Go here, backtrack there, reconfigure stuff, sell stuff and save up money and blah de blah da blah

For this I recommend Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. They are objective-based, but how you accomplish an objective is left up to you, so there's a lot more variety.

• edited 2012-06-22 02:56:14
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Well of course they are, but the good games manage to distract you from that and make the journey the fun part. I second VtM: Bloodlines and not just for the name. It does encourage alternate ways of solving problems save for the final act.

^I'm pretty certain you won't need to have played other AC games to get what's going on in this one, save perhaps the metaplot no one gives a shit about.

• edited 2012-06-22 02:57:56

Incidentally, is it weird that of those three games (which are probably in their own little genre that doesn't have an official name), how much I like a given entry is directly proportional to how many flaws it has?

^I'm pretty certain you won't need to have played other AC games to get what's going on in this one, save perhaps the metaplot no one gives a shit about.

I still ought to finish the one I have before getting another.

• edited 2012-06-22 03:00:02
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

@Alk

Okay, so you're looking for emergent gameplay, then. You could try Minecraft or Mount & Blade, which are both excellent unguided games. Dwarf Fortress is another option if you can learn the damn thing (I couldn't). Both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are very much based on your own agency, despite their linearity.

For something less emergent, Amnesia: The Dark Descent doesn't provide a whole lot of guidance, but is well designed enough to maintain focus and to funnel you towards objectives. While the cutscenes in Valkyria Chronicles can be too lengthy and too common, the actual gameplay takes place entirely within the various combat engagements, where it's a combination of tile-based strategy concepts applied to free movement and elements of real-time gameplay. 

There are some ideas, anyway. 

Dwarf Fortress is another option if you can learn the damn thing

I wanted to mention it, but he mentioned tediousness, and, well...greatest game ever created, but pretty tedious moment-to-moment.

^^^Fair enough but you've got a few months for that. =P

But it goes back to the thing I said about emotional payoff when I edited my post to reflect that sentiment. Minecraft I have no pay off because I'm just digging around and building stuff that I will smash down when I'm bored with it or never finish in the first place. And from your incessant praise of Dark and Demons souls Alex, the gameplay just sounds like a giant pain in the ass where my agency is the ability to fuck up lots and lots of ways until I say fuck it, find a guide and look up a strategy/build that will make the game be slightly less bullshit.

Reception on Mount&Blade has overall been positive. Reviewers praised the game for its innovative combat mechanics, complex character skill system, and large modding community,

Sounds promising-

but also criticized it for its repetitive quests, dialogues, and locations, as well as low graphics quality

No wait, it more of the same stuff I'm griping about just with a shiny set of gameplay. 

Amnesia - I watched a Lets Play of it. No incentive to actually play it.

Dwarf Fortress - yeah no. Just no.

Deus Ex and VtM - The dated graphics are just... eh. 

Human Revolution I could give a shot, but I don't have high hopes for it.

Sorry for being so picky but it's like... I want to like video games again, but something about the medium just frustrates me or pisses me off, regardless of the actual gameplay and story. And I don't know how to fix this. 

• edited 2012-06-22 03:19:20

the gameplay just sounds like a giant pain in the ass where my agency is the ability to fuck up lots and lots of ways until I say fuck it, find a guide and look up a strategy/build that will make the game be slightly less bullshit.

Difficult gameplay is something the Souls games have a reputation for despite it not actually being true. You'll die significantly less often than in most games, but in most games, dying has no penalty except two or three seconds of lost progress that you'll barely even notice.

Deus Ex and VtM - The dated graphics are just... eh. 

Understandable. They aren't the prettiest games, though oddly VtM shines in the area of facial renderings, actually handling faces better than modern AAA games do. Weird, given how the entire rest of the game is, well, not ready for shipping, frankly.

but I don't have high hopes for it.

Is there anything in particular that you're expecting to not like about it?

(the Deus Ex games have a Steam sale going, FYI).

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The thing that pisses me off about video games lately is the... effort of it.

I know that sounds lame, but it's like, with a book, I can just open it up and read it. The same with comics, anime, and movies. Video games, on the other hand, require solid days of investment on my part in order to experience it- which is great and all, I guess, but it pisses me off because that's a lot of effort when I can get the same or more amount of enjoyment out of a good book or movie.

• edited 2012-06-22 03:26:11
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Which is a large part of the success of casual stuff like Fruit Ninja, really.

That said, I think there's a place for games that can only be told in strong narrative games. Comparing two games to their anime, in Persona I never felt as close to any of the characters in the anime because I wasn't making the conscious decision to go to Soccer practice or Drama club or whatever and they only got an episode or so of explanation. In Steins; Gate there's a character who in real life is very terse and reserved but when you got her texts they were really long and bubbly. It was a pretty great piece of character work that didn't translate into the animu.