If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

1333435363739»

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I discovered Kino through doomer music compilations, turned out it's some sort of Russian Nirvana, except not grunge, but rather should be lumped with post-punk or something like that. Speaking in general, I've got that feeling that Russians do have a stronger sense of being a doomer than the rest of us.

I don't really follow the lyrics (assuming I could), but I don't really follow the lyrics of English language songs as well. It's like, usually they blend together like the voice was just another instrument. Like, I tune out as far as it concerns actually separating and understanding what's being said. I don't have that only when I listen to songs in my native language. I guess my knowledge of English is just not as good as I like to believe.

Also, I've gotta listen through that Venezuelan doomer music compilation one day finally.
  • edited 2023-04-15 16:29:26
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Kino

Sidenote: I'm wondering whether you'd be into Kino's Journey, the anime series. I haven't watched it myself though but I feel like I expect some observe-the-world-around-me vibes from it.

(Yes, I know this Kino is entirely unrelated.)
  • I've never been good at understanding lyrics, I have a hard enough time telling the words apart when it's in Spanish, and it's hopeless if in any other language.
    The doomer music thing made me wonder if I missed a post and turns out I did miss something unrelated:
    hey @Stormtroper, just curious, have you by any chance heard of this before? or either of these two artistic forms?
    Nopes, never heard of these (besides the embedded video you posted afterwards).
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    (Yes, I know this Kino is entirely unrelated.)

All Kinos are that Kino.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I've got a feeling they made up a bunch of names, but I don't mind it all that much.
    Apparently, Archie Comics once tried to sue The Veronicas for their band name.
    An article from the NYT on the same;

b58soleufu6a.jpg

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    that reminds me i have yet to watch Veronica Mars despite wanting to years ago

That's the rap remix, here's the original:

I gotta say this is the best thing since Synthesizers in Futility covers of Mgła.

Frog synth, a thematic subgenre of somfy synth, which is a musical subgenre of dungeon synth.
    This song from the Soulcalibur III soundtrack kind of sounds like the opening music from NBC's Meet The Press.
    TIL (well, not today, but close) that at some point in the Seventies, a collection of Bulgarian choir folk songs was released on a tape. Which then found its way into the hands of goth musicians. And then anime soundtrack composers.

Basically goth music as it is today owes its lineage to a single recording of Bulgarian choir music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mystère_des_Voix_Bulgares

I had not ever heard this before (and my ideas of Bulgarian music were basically the various treatments of it in Bela Bartok's music). That was an interesting listen.

I guess I can bits of similarity between some anime music I've heard, such as the use of voice as an instrument in the music of the MONACA group (e.g. the Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru soundtrack) and of composer Akiko Shikata, but I'm not sure if those are coincidences or actual evidence of influences. I also thought of some vocals from the Symphogear series (e.g. in Tsubasa Kazanari's songs) but I have a feeling those are more rooted in Japanese traditions?
    Well, apparently the soundtrack to Ghost in the Shell was inspired by it, but I can't really speak from personal experience on the topic of anime soundtracks.
    I watched an NHK documentary about J-Pop and K-Pop idols and their popularity.

It ended up mostly being YOASOBI being depressed about not being as popular as BTS.

Literally the documentary had LE SSERAFIM, NewJeans, BTS, Girls Generation and probably some other K-Pop acts I've already forgotten, whereas there was just like YOASOBI on the Japanese side (at one point they play "Aitakatta" but don't mention AKB48 by name...?).

They even had NewJeans producer have at least 10m of interview time 20 days before she became the most highly controversial figure in K-Pop.

It was kind of super disappointing. Especially in terms of the types of artists that could get popular overseas considering Idol by YOASOBI is the most meme song ever, and speaking of songs that got super big via an anime, why didn't they get LiSA to talk about Gurenge?

They could have had FAKY or FANTASTICS (or any LDH people honestly) but noooooope.

Stuff like this is why K-Pop is dominating the Western scene whilst nobody knows about the most accessible J-Pop acts.
    Meanwhile, me: knows a lot about J-pop thanks to anisong but is almost completely clueless about K-pop

Youtube served me some Krautrock/New Wave/experimental synth-pop from 1986 Norway that sounds a bit like a soundtrack to some cyberpunk story.