If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    https://streamable.com/cshz9e

An interesting little instrument.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    lrdgck wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/cshz9e

An interesting little instrument.
    That is really neat.

What is also neat is the rhythm he generates and the song he starts singing. If he hadn't told me he's from Ghana, I would have guessed this was a Latin-American rhythm. While I don't know whether he's actually playing some sort of traditional Ghanian folk rhythm (or for that matter, whether he's really from Ghana), I'm aware of some cultural links between Africa and Latin America/the Caribbean, and I just thought this might be an illustration of that.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know

behold: Tchaikovsky's Violin Trumpet Concerto
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

AC/BC

i'm liking how upbeat this song is

i haven't watched the show yet
    Weird thing is I got the urge to listen to this song a few days ago (I did). The B-Sides on the single are also very good. Konomi Suzuki even did a cover of the in-TCG unit's lead single.

This song is one of her best I'd say.
  • edited 2022-09-18 03:42:21
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Incidentally I realized that a number of Konomi Suzuki songs that I know are all on her album LIFE of DASH, this one, as well as "Blow out" (Akashic Records OP), as well as "Absolute Soul" (Absolute Duo OP), as well as "This game".
  • edited 2022-09-18 07:02:48
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    It was possibly one of her best eras but she's still doing a lot of great music. Ao no Kanata, Theater of Life etc.
    Ao no Kanata
    Wait, she did a song for Four Rhythm?

Also I came back here to say that I forgot to mention "Redo" (from Re:Zero) and "THERE IS A REASON" (from...I forget what show this is).
    Wait, she did a song for Four Rhythm?

It was the ED to a flying whale catching anime that I only saw 3 episodes of and I no longer remember the name of (it was very long, like Sora to Umi etc).

I don't think that last song is from an anime unless it was an insert song.
    Apparently it's the No Game No Life: Zero OP.
  • edited 2022-09-19 14:21:23
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Ah, the movie. No wonder I couldn't put it together.
    So about two decades (whanow?) ago, Utada Hikaru was so big in the Japanese music industry that everybody (but especially avex and Sony) wanted one of their own (or another in Sony's case. The result was many Japanese-American expats or returnees releasing a lot of random R&B sounding music (ex:Heartsdales) that clogged up the middle of the Oricon charts for year upon years.

So what happened? Well, idols did. Whilst groups like Morning Musume stayed near the top, this generation of Japanese music was marked by 'mature', otona-ppoi music in a 'cool style' as exemplified by the Big 3 (Utada Hikaru, Amuro Namie, and Koda Kumi).

Then AKB48 came along and revitalized the idol industry, instantly decimating whatever influence (and legitimacy) the J-R&B scene had ever had. Everybody in Japan appears to have also just forgotten this phase of Japanese music, and maybe that's for the best.

---

Sometimes when I'm weak I'll look up the Disney Music Vevo to see what's new in the world of Disney Channel and Teen Disney+. Maybe it's because I'm older or because stuff has gotten gayer (literally) but I can't help but being embarrassed by the new content, especially stuff out of High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.
    J R&B

Y'know I didn't think about it before but this describes a bunch of J-pop I've run across, and I hadn't thought about their era before either but I guess they do seem to fit into a certain era from some little while ago.
  • edited 2022-10-04 02:46:24
    It's October, which is Halloween month.

If this sounds different from what you're familiar with, then you're probably familiar with one of the alternate versions, which are definitely more famous than this one.

This piece has been orchestrated at least three times, by:

* Modest Mussorgsky (the composer himself); the video above has this version, which is rather different from the versions below
    * Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (another Russian composer and a contemporary and colleague of Mussorgsky), who produced the most famous orchestration
    * Leopold Stokowski, who conducted his own version as part of the Disney film Fantasia; this version is based on Rimsky-Korsakov's version
    I'm wondering what would be in your Halloween classical playlist.

----

when you killed every sparrow you could but it still didn't work

...In other words, I just discovered remixes of Chinese communist propaganda songs. Not that I'm surprised.
    They had some particularly boneheaded ideas back then.

Nice orchestral arrangement of the AKB48 song "Aitakatta".

Though there's one problem, or two (since it occurs twice): The harmony right before the chorus is supposed to be E/G# (E major chord with G# in the bass), not Ab sus4.

E/G# leads to the A minor chord that starts the chorus. Ab sus4 suggests a gear change modulation up to C# major, which is not what happens.

Found a little curiosity and I wanted to share.
    https://tomlehrersongs.com
    Tom Lehrer just released a bunch of his songs into public domain.
    hey @Stormtroper, just curious, have you by any chance heard of this before?

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/María_la_O

or either of these two artistic forms?

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarzuela

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainete

English articles for those here who don't read Spanish (which I think is basically just lrdgck nowadays lol)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarzuela
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainete
  • edited 2023-01-21 23:08:22
    Found a recording of the whole Maria la O. (This is a 13-track playlist.)

This seems like basically a short opera.
    USSR Anthem (synthwave/sovietwave remix) by Astrophysics
    Welp. Looks like I've wandered into that odd part of Youtube again.
    Have I mentioned Wincent Weiss' next album yet? That's kind of tradition around here, so I guess I'm mentioning it now.

pJCE8nq.jpg

Can't wait till it comes out!