If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @lrdgck for some reason when i read the phrase "fuck pubg" i thought of "duck plug"
  • Final Fantasy: The Warriors of Light
    Final Fantasy II: Empire of Hell
    Final Fantasy III: Of Light and Darkness
    Final Fantasy IV: Lunar Dream
    Final Fantasy V: Worlds of the Void
    Final Fantasy VI: Divine Stones
    Final Fantasy VII: Otherwordly Magic
    Final Fantasy VIII: Time of Sorceresses
    Final Fantasy IX: Mists of Memory
    Final Fantasy X: Cycle of Devastation
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Final Fantasy XXXVIII: This Time It Really Is Final
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    oh oh fun

I can't actually think of any good ones aside from

Final Fantasy XIII: Convicts of the Gods/Journey of the Marked

silly/mean ones

Final Fantasy X-2 : Magic Make Up
    Final Fantasy XV : The Whole Relevant Main Cast Is Male I Swear This Is 2017

Through a combination of "Why do PS4s cost all the money" and the cast make-up (and general DLC stuff) of XV I've parted ways with the Final Fantasy franchise. I'm sad, especially since I've sucked at playing games at all lately.
  • The usual game-is-free post. This time it's Killer Is Dead here. Looks cool, then again I think I'm attracted to 3D art that pretends not to be 3D art.

^ On the other hand, I think I'm getting called back to Final Fantasy, I've spent the last two days browsing the wiki and watching videos. I'm really out of touch, with the exception of 14 and a bit of Dissidia I don't think I've played anything more recent than 10, meanwhile there are all these mobile games and stuff that I had never heard of.

I never finished FFTA (the final boss trounced me). Hmmm...
    Speaking of Final Fantasy:

Caves of Narshe is holding a "tournament" to find the most popular Final Fantasy series music. (Well, okay, it's more of just an excuse to listen to lots of Final Fantasy music. But still.)

You can vote in the tournament for which of each pair of musical tracks you like more, by going to the 2017 Regalia Playlist Championship forum and voting. Don't have an account? Just go make one; it's free.

The first-round matches are finishing up, and the second-round matches have just begun. They include links to uploads of all the music so you don't actually need to know any of it by heart to vote.

You should join them!
  • I just found out about howlongtobeat.com , I feel like it'll come in handy.
    DYRE showed me that site a few days ago and it turns out I accidentally speedran FFXIII on my first playthrough.
  • Free game announcement: MDK
    Oh hey, looks like both GOG and Humble Store are doing their sales right now.

Steam presumably will follow in a few days.
  • edited 2017-11-23 21:07:00
    Free game announcement: Sanctum 2

I actually forgot to get MDK.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Just how often there are free games on GOG? How can I learn about them quickly enough, save for looking in here?
  • I dunno, I only find out because people post about them on r/vzla.
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Just how often there are free games on GOG? How can I learn about them quickly enough, save for looking in here?
    Like once a couple months or so?

By my records I am seeing that GOG had free games available at at least the following times this year:
    November 22: MDK
    October 24: Stronghold HD + A.D. 2044
    September 19: Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee
    July 15: Jotun: Valhalla Edition
    June 9: Rebel Galaxy
    June 7: a GOG Connect promotion, which allows Steam users with certain games that GOG also carries to get free GOG copies of those games
    April 26: The Witcher 1 (promotion via Ars Technica)
    April 21: Saints Row 2 (also free on Steam)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Doesn't look like there's a pattern to it...
  • edited 2017-11-25 00:12:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    what

no
    seriously

what

well, to be fair, it was sort of inevitable.
  • I got lured into playing WoW again for much of the last year--partly because of playing Hearthstone, partly because "Hey, they brought back my boy Illidan and they're actually doing a redemption story with him, apparently!"--but what they unveiled at BlizzCon recently made me decide to end my sub.

Maybe that was an overly impulsive decision which I'll reconsider next year, after I know more about the next expansion and the story of it. But from the way things look right now, I was too depressed to even enjoy playing Legion any more, knowing what was on the horizon.

The faction war--which I have never liked--is going to go from a cold war to a hot war. And from the look of things, it's going to happen because the current team has just decided to make the Horde bad guys.

I won't go into it all right now, but in a nutshell: Sylvanas is still Warchief, it's revealed that she's planning to attack Stormwind without any provocation, and if you want to play Horde then you've got to follow her. What's more, despite her being as evil as Garrosh and with a similar list of war crimes to her name already, there's no revolution against her like there was against Garrosh. There isn't even anybody on the Horde side who challenges her for the leadership position, like Cairne did with Garrosh before Garrosh had even done anything really vile.
  • I haven't played WoW since ages, but I'll probably do so for Battle for Azeroth, playing with my friends during early Legion was a great experience and I wish to repeat it.

I wouldn't mind playing the unquestionably bad faction, though I do get annoyed if I'm doing questionable things while the game pretends I'm not, which at times has been the case. So far Blizzard has come with plot points that excuse the Horde, but after a while one has to wonder why one faction gets assigned the questionable role and the other one (for the most part) isn't.

The faction war thing usually gets hinted at, but nothing ends up happening. If that changes I do expect to like it.
  • edited 2017-11-25 23:50:08
    So far Blizzard has come with plot points that excuse the Horde, but after a while one has to wonder why one faction gets assigned the questionable role and the other one (for the most part) isn't.

Exactly. This is something I saw people bring up on the forums too, like "Why is the Alliance never the aggressor?"

It's not like people on the Alliance side never do anything wrong, of course. You've got stuff like Camp Taurajo being sacked and Sky Admiral Rogers ordering her troops to shoot orcs in the water who were trying not to drown...

...but then again, the Alliance has never had a leader who uses chemical warfare on a regular basis and has her scientists doing experiments on prisoners. And the Alliance never put anybody in charge who went full sociopath. The worst faction leaders on the Alliance side have been, I guess, Varian and Moira, and both of them became better people as time went on. Sylvanas has stayed pretty much the same.

But anyway, back to Battle For Azeroth: we know right now that either the Horde is going to start the hostilities by burning Teldrassil down, or it'll appear as if they did, and that's what causes the Alliance to go after them. Thing is, even if Sylvanas has nothing to do with Teldrassil getting burned, she WAS planning to attack another Alliance capital without provocation. (Unless you count Genn Greymane breaking her magic lantern as sufficient provocation, which I don't.) So the Horde is still being led by either the very worst person possible or a close second (that's if Gallywix is actually worse than her) and people who ought to know better are willingly following her: Saurfang, Baine, Rokhan, and Lor'themar.

If the faction war has fans then it's just a case of mileage varying and I hope they have fun, but this is the kind of thing that sucks the fun out of the game for me, kind of like how the ending of Mass Effect 3 ruined the experience of playing an otherwise very good game for so many people. I'm old enough to have played Warcraft III when it first came out, which made me fall in love with Thrall and with his Horde, and which ended with everybody putting aside their differences and working together. It sucks for me to see all that progress towards peace undone, and to see Thrall's Horde becomes Sylvanas' Horde.
  • edited 2017-11-27 01:23:38
    > consider buying FFXIII
    > storage: 60 GB available space

wtf

(making games yuuuuuuuuuge: an unintentional anti-piracy measure?)
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Super Metroid is 3 MB and that's as big as you should ever need to go.
  • To put it in perspective: the average PC game from the 80s takes up less hard drive space than probably any MP3 file you'd care to download. I was surprised when I first realized this, although I probably shouldn't have been.
    Even funnier is that the uncompressed soundtrack is probably a decentish chunk of that overall space.
    60 GB available space

To be fair it did first come out on BD.
    making games yuuuuuuuuuge: an unintentional anti-piracy measure?

Clearly you've never seen a coalgirls rip circa mid-2010s.
  • edited 2017-11-29 00:42:15
    Any of y'all done the Steam Awards 2017 nominations? The categories are sorta stupidly and often confusingly worded, but...y'know, you make do.

World is Grim Enough - Mini Metro, a nonviolent casual/puzzle game where you route a metro system to shuttle passengers between nodes.

Choices Matter - Fate of the World, a sim game where you have to manage the world's economic development, political conflicts, natural resources, and environmental conditions.

Haunts My Dreams - Atelier Firis, because I literally had a recent dream where I was in an Atelier world, even though it seemed more like Escha & Logy. I didn't pick Sophie because Firis seems more interesting.

Mom's Spaghetti - Dysfunctional Systems episode 1, because of spoilery reasons.

No Apologies - Inescapable, a horror platformer which has a low rating on Steam (arguably because people expected it to be Super Metroid), but which I really appreciated.

Cry Havoc - Fairy Bloom Freesia, an arena beat-em-up with really smooth controls.

Suspension of Disbelief - Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls, a pretty wacky and hilarious action platformer.

Soul of Vitruvius - Final Fantasy XIII, because they made Lightning model for Louis Vuitton. I mean, seriously.

Defies Description - Potatoman Seeks the Troof, a game with a bizarre trailer, a strange premise, and sometimes trippy areas featuring an increasingly surreal sequence of events.

Labor of Love - 100% Orange Juice, because the devs (both Japanese dev and localizer) have continued to support the game for years after release and regularly update the game and run seasonal events.

Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC, because I'm interpreting the award to be about political intrigue. The story of this game has a lot of it, though I should warn, DO NOT PLAY SC before playing the first Trails in the Sky, because that first game is actually the first half of the story.

Even Better Than I Expected - Ys Origin, because I played Ys: the Oath in Felghana before it, and I was mightily impressed by that game, then Ys Origin blew even that out of the water.

[custom] Most Diligent Developer - Mystik Belle, because the dev personally responds to basically every bug report and request for help.

I've played all these games except Atelier Firis, Trails SC (but I have played the first Trails game), and FF13.
  • edited 2017-11-28 08:30:02
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    • "The World Is Grim Enough, Let's Just All Get Along" - Mini Metro, probably for the same reasons as you. Super chill.
    • "Choices Matter" - Stardew Valley is just one big small-town-shaped sandbox. Do what you want. No one can stop you.
    • "Haunts My Dreams" - I can't say I've had any game-related dreams as of late, but every so often, an idea for a Dustforce custom level will drift into my head.
    • "Mom's Spaghetti" - I don't really play intense games of any sort. I decided to go with a game I know to be very visually intense and disorienting, which is PAC-MAN Championship Edition.
    • "No Apologies" - SpaceChem is a game that will only appeal to a very specific type of player. That type of player is me.
    • "Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War" - Nuclear Throne. Guns, explosions, and super-fast-paced top-down combat. What's not to love?
    • "Suspension Of Disbelief" - 100ft Robot Golf. The name alone tells you everything you need to know.
    • "Soul Of Vitruvius" - The Witcher 3.
    • "Defies Description" - The Magic Circle, a game where you seize control of an unfinished game from the inside. It's even more bizarre than it sounds.
    • "Labor of Love" - It's seriously been over a decade now? Here's to you, Team Fortress 2.
    • "Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0" - I don't play a whole lot of "surreal" games, either, so I skimmed through my list and settled on Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery.
    • "Even Better Than I Expected" - Okay, I still haven't actually played Pyre yet, but it was one of the games I was most hyped for going into this year, and everything I've heard about it has been super positive and just makes me want to play it more.
    • (custom) "Best Use Of A Cube" - Rock of Ages. The Block of Ages will never not be funny to me.

Of these games, I've played five (Mini Metro, Dustforce, SpaceChem, TF2, Rock of Ages), and own three more that I have yet to play (Stardew Valley, Nuclear Throne, Superbrothers).
  • > not nominating 東方天空璋 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons

I wanna get it, but unfortunately I found out there's no easy way to use Amazon balance to buy it.
  • Free game alert: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Unfortunately not available here.
    https://www.mariowiki.com/Bramball
    this thing looks and apparently moves like a Shaktool from Super Metroid.