If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Right now all Blizzard games are on sale, if anybody's interested. Overwatch is 50% off until January 2nd. I don't know if the discounts on the other games also last until that date, but it would be my guess.
  • edited 2017-12-22 19:57:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Alright, looks like the Steam Awards are up for voting, let's see what—
    "Best Soundtrack"
    - Transistor
    - Undertale
    WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Stormtroper the 5th place and 3rd place matches are ties right now on CoN's Regalia Championship, and the championship match also just opened a few days ago.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I wonder if he'll say "so long gay Ganon!"
  • @Stormtroper the 5th place and 3rd place matches are ties right now on CoN's Regalia Championship, and the championship match also just opened a few days ago.

Says it's closed, though IIRC I had already voted for the final match.
    Regarding the Regalia thing, we have winners: https://regalia.cavesofnarshe.com/

Also I might be running a Rare Entries game on that forum in the near future. Keep an eye on it.

----

I wonder how much money I should pay for this bundle. https://www.humblebundle.com/games/scribble-staff-picks-bundle
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dimension-drive

This looks neat. I'm not sure I'll actually be good at it.
  • edited 2018-01-03 09:43:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    What is with some games having a lower base price on Steam than elsewhere?

The most glaring example right now is this: https://itch.io/s/9751/winter-sale-2017
    $4.97 for these three games, except...
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/491040/Bot_Vice/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/643880/Strikey_Sisters/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/375120/Super_Star_Path/
    Pick them all up on Steam for $1.47. Or get the deluxe edition for one for $0.35 more.

Here's another example: https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=spud's+quest#/page:game/info?plain=spudsquest

Edit: this explains Bot Vice and presumably that dev's two other games.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/491040/discussions/0/1620599015888266850/
    Hey @Bluesy_Cowgirl , how can we download your game which Super Lazuli played here?

• Bovarian Mammarian
    Well, Super Lazuli Jane was nice enough to provide a link with the video...
  • edited 2020-01-20 04:49:30
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I just finished Danganronpa 2, and while I did enjoy playing it, I am really not pleased with the final outcome.

I feel like there were a lot of interesting ideas (very suddenly*) presented in the final chapter of the game, in relation to the mystery of how everybody got to the killing school trip, that were really great and asked a lot of questions that could only be answered in the context of these characters.

Unfortunately, the game was also screaming "FRANCHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" so loud during the final class trial that none of those issues were explored, and instead we got the heroes from the last game coming in to "save" the ones from this game in a scenario that was wholly unnecessary and vaguely tacked on. There was a nice easter egg pre-Class Trial involving the main character of the last game, and that's probably what it should have been left at.

This led directly into the thematic nightmare this game presented. When you are captured, then kidnapped, and ultimately are forced into virtual therapy from which escape is a terrible option that involves letting a virtual evil into the world, you should be allowed to come up with whatever concept of "hope" works for you and allows you to proceed from that point.

Instead, the characters from the last game come in and, being the ones who kidnapped you and deceived you in the first place, insist you do what they want as that is their definition of your "hope".

Similarly, I don't understand why the protagonist always had to suffer his own personal level of "despair". In fact, it's very much a stones throw away from what everybody is already experiencing, and it lessens the existence of characters who a lot of the time barely existed whilst the protagonists from the last game have a painfully extended cameo that also functions as the ending of the whole game.

In the last game, one out of six of the protagonists came to the final class trial without having changed in some way. In this one, three out of six of the protagonists have experienced any change at all, and one of those characters has already been killed off in the previous chapter.

I feel like this is the game where they really needed to show off how the protagonists change, because their defining twist in the final chapter is that these characters were all a nightmare beforehand. If they leave the game merely as they began it, what stops them really from falling into the same pitfalls they did with the antagonist with somebody else?

This is most prevalent with Akane, whose attitude has led to terrible things happening to fellow characters, but she never stops for even a second to think about changing her attitude at all.

All the more disappointing was that characters who did change are killed off left and right in favor of these people who are the exact same as when the game began.

tl;dr It was fun, but there was a lot to question.
  • ^^^ Oooh, that looks nice.

The first time I found out about SMBX I was made to believe it was a SMW hack, so I was extremely surprised at how so far hacking had gone before I caught on.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    It was fun to make, although that was years ago. But it's nice if people still appreciate it.
  • edited 2018-01-09 23:12:52
    I like the StarCraft games, but sometimes the reasons for going to battle in the storyline just seem forced. As in, certain characters are just being stupid or unreasonable, not even bothering to try to talk to their potential enemies and come to some kind of agreement.

I'm gonna assume that not everybody has been immunized to spoilers, so for now all I will say is that I'm thinking mainly of one mission in Brood War, and everything from the third mission on in Heart Of The Swarm (which is the part of the campaign I'm currently playing through).

For Heart Of The Swarm, this continues at least up until "The Crucible", which is the mission I'm about to attempt and which I happened to see is listed on TV Tropes' page for "That One Level". So, um, wish me luck...
  • edited 2018-01-10 12:53:31
    Oh yeah, The Crucible, that is one of the few levels I couldn't complete just by throwing enough swarmlings at everything. I eventually completed it on a lower difficulty then went back to Brutal to finish it after finishing the rest of the campaign, it made me get out of my comfort zone and try out other units (I probably made the campaign less fun for myself by mostly sticking to the same strategy).

I never could complete the trains one in Wings of Liberty, though. And I got stuck really badly in Unsealing the Past midway through Legacy of the Void (which is much harder than the other campaigns) and eventually I stopped playing. Maybe I should go back to it?

Personally I found WoL and HotS to be badly written, but fortunately I found LotV to be much better.
  • edited 2018-01-10 12:42:31
    Speaking of difficulty levels, I think they need something in between Normal and Hard. As some troper wrote on the That One Level page, WoL on Normal is fairly tame up until All In. And I found The Crucible to be easier than All In.

With All In, it took me several tries on Normal, but I was finally able to get it done after checking to see what advice Gamefaqs could give me. (I am NOT going to try for the "complete the mission only using the artifact once" achievement, thankyouverymuch.) With The Crucible, I had to load a saved game once after I lost all my defenses and was about to lose, but that was it.

When I started HotS, I did think "Most of the last campaign wasn't too tricky, so maybe I should set it to Hard here." I did get through the first couple missions on Hard, but then on the third I was like "Crap, the attacks are too frequent, and I'm losing too many guys and structures, screw it, I'll just put it back on Normal."

Part of this is because I don't want to wait too long to see the next part of the story, of course.

I'll look forward to the good writing in the protoss campaign, but in the meantime I really hope that the bad writing in HotS gets less bad. I want to like this particular character, Blizzard, and you're making it difficult for me.

(I originally went into more detail with spoiler tags around what I wrote, but then I edited my post and that somehow stopped the spoiler tags from working. After trying to figure out the problem and having no luck, I just decided not to go into it.)
  • I want to like this particular character, Blizzard, and you're making it difficult for me.

Just wanted to post an update that, as the story went on, it got a lot less difficult.
    > Yume Nikki gets released on Steam (freeware, as it's always been)
    > some people think that it takes after Undertale

it isn't often i get to tell someone else that they need to stop living under a rock
  • edited 2018-01-18 20:23:51
    Free game alert: Carmageddon TDR 2000

^ Sometimes I wonder how well-known elsewhere stuff that's well-known in the extended TVT community is. I've been thinking about that since finding out that none of my friends had ever heard of Splatoon.
    Does anyone here need a Steam Awards 2017 trading card to complete their set?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I've been thinking about that since finding out that none of my friends had ever heard of Splatoon.

There's been coverage of Splatoon! on ANN, CR News, Gematsu and Kotaku and those are like the most important websites on the whole internet.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I've heard people talk about Splatoon in real life so I guess it must be known.
  • edited 2018-01-22 08:38:01

My (not-so-)favorite magical girl voice actors in a Camelot-themed scifi thing! This is like the most me thing.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Arthur is an AI that solves problems.
    Wars, poverty, environmental destruction…
    Arthur has been choosing the best solution for humans, while they are supposed to be the one who rule their world.

When Arthur begins to annihilate humanity, humans finally rebel.

Arthur’s mecha knights, girls called Doll, decides to put an end to the catastrophe.
    Lancelot leads the rest of the Doll to give humans support.

Although they successfully eliminate Arthur, their homeland has become a sea of ruins.
    At this moment, Lancelot builds a new government – Camelot, and reign the entire world…

This plot is amazing.
  • edited 2018-01-23 16:07:28

I guess if they can't put PMMM and Symphogear together, this is like the third or fourth best choice.