If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think Limited is making me understand why I had such a strangely negative reaction to Code:Realize. Not only because it puts it's characters and plot above it's genre (I don't know if I'll be willing to watch more Otome harem stuff for a while), but the characters are just so danged alive.

Cardia might have the excuse of being locked in a house for two years, but she's so dulled to everything and the voice Hayami uses for her is really really soft and low that she's just genuinely no fun.

Meanwhile:
    “We don’t have much time, see? It’s a no-go. If we just break random people out we’ll end up with some shady folk.”

Frederica’s favorite kind of Magical Girl was a Magical Girl that not even Frederica can control. [...] They needed aces.

A criminal’s excuses full of pride, whose contents were filled with inevitable nonsense,
  • “We don’t have much time, see? It’s a no-go. If we just break random people out we’ll end up with some shady folk.”

Strange how the punk rock girl is the most reasonable-sounding one in her group.
    She does kind of go to any lengths to make friends with people, and seems to enjoy the process a lot more when she has to lie every other word.
  • edited 2017-10-23 08:17:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So it seems like Chain Chronicle has eight shorts introducing the characters, then the twelve-episode TV series, which is also alternately told via three movies which are also divided into twelve episodes?

Unfortunately only the TV series has been dubbed.

That said, my shortlist currently has Planetarian, Sola, Four Rhythm, and RWBY, so I should be watching one of those first, maybe.

Also I wonder what the Akashic Records soundtrack is like. FWIW the OP is in F-sharp minor and the ED is in F-sharp major so maybe it actually has relatively strong tonal centering around this key? I remember hearing some F-sharp minor tracks in the soundtrack...

meanwhile I'm trying to recall nano's OP for Chain Chronicle and I'm getting bits of it in my head mixed with Akashic Records's OP which is now suddenly and surprisingly an ear worm.
  • She does kind of go to any lengths to make friends with people, and seems to enjoy the process a lot more when she has to lie every other word.

Huh, her appearances in the second Episodes book sounds more consistent now.
    eight shorts introducing the characters, then the twelve-episode TV series, which is also alternately told via three movies which are also divided into twelve episodes

Shorts almost never get dubbed, and I'm pretty sure the Chain Chronicle shorts weren't even licensed properly (though that might change if Sentai or Funi or whoever releases the series on BD).

There's only one TV series that was divided into movies. That was an experiment in trying to get people into theatres to watch a TV anime, it's a pretty popular trend right now (see: WaSuYu). I don't exactly love it, but that way you usually get two OPs and EDs.
    nano's OP for Chain Chronicle

You mean THIS IS MY LIBERATIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

(Since you didn't see the movies you never got to hear KONO YUUUUUME WO, TSUZUKU BASHO...)

How do you even mix MY LIBERATION and Blow out

did you secretly know that Suzuki Konomi once did a slow piano cover of nano's Born to be
  • edited 2017-10-23 18:44:48
    How do you even mix MY LIBERATION and Blow out
    Probably because they're about the same tempo I think and a half-step off from each other (G minor vs. F# minor) and both make good use of the flat-VI chord...
    did you secretly know that Suzuki Konomi once did a slow piano cover of nano's Born to be
    No; I don't think I've ever heard that song actually.

Incidentally now I'm trying to recall that song that's not called First Impact, but instead I'm coming up with Savior of Song. (Both are nano songs in the same key and I think at the same tempo.)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    One rare advantage to watching dubs:

When a character, entity, or otherwise important thing has a special name that's weirdly-spelled, there's often a smoother way of pronouncing it that makes it sound less weird.

If you see it spelled out, you're more likely to suspect something and be spoiled about it. If you see just hear it, you're less likely to think too much of it until the reveal comes.

Akashic Records contains an example of this.
  • MsNbhIB.jpg

I'm not sure if this is relevant but whatever.
    wat
    I miss Mayoiga.
    there's often a smoother way of pronouncing it that makes it sound less weird.

I always like the way things in katakana are pronounced though.
    I miss Mayoiga.
    there's often a smoother way of pronouncing it that makes it sound less weird.

I always like the way things in katakana are pronounced though.

I don't think use of katakana affects how an equal sign in someone's name is pronounced.
    Well, that's a whole different story altogether~
  • I don't think use of katakana affects how an equal sign in someone's name is pronounced.
    I don't know what you're talking about specifically but usually an "equal sign" in a Japanese character's name is actually a double hyphen, which is functionally just like a space or hyphen depending on context.
  • edited 2017-10-25 19:56:03
    DYRE wrote: »
    I don't think use of katakana affects how an equal sign in someone's name is pronounced.
    I don't know what you're talking about specifically but usually an "equal sign" in a Japanese character's name is actually a double hyphen, which is functionally just like a space or hyphen depending on context.

Well that might explain why subbers used an equal sign then. The other parts of the name are Roman letters derived from English words.
  • edited 2017-10-26 16:55:05
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Some time ago, there used to be a game genre known as “social games.” They could be played on mobile devices and PC browsers, and you could start them without paying any money whatsoever.

[...]

However, it was all just data. The companies would never lose anything, no matter how many high-quality, high-rarity pulls the players got. Many players’ desire to get the good stuff only increased with every bad thing they pulled, making them throw even more money at the game.

As a result, there had been many players who would spend 100,000 yen on the games every month. Some would even go above and beyond and break the 1,000,000 barrier.

It had been a very real, very dark time, indeed...

Oh Infinite Dendrogram...
    Quick rundown of the Frame Arms Girls:

Gourai: Will fight for you. My favorite character.
    Stylet: Sorta like Yukine Chris but minus the tragic backstory.
    Baselard: A mischievous troll, but easily distractable.
    Materia sisters: Sadists. My least favorite characters.
    Architect: Like an even more blank-slate version of Gourai. Ends up being the most level-headed of the bunch, though not the most interesting.
    Jinrai: I would call her a weeaboo except she's actually Japanese, but she's still unhealthily obsessed with traditional Japanese culture.
    Hresvelgr: She just...enjoys fighting things.
    Innocentia: Madamoiselle Not-Appearing-In-This-Season.
    This is a weird thing to note, but I'm quite disappointed that there aren't a lot more LN anime where instead of donning battle suits, they just fight in their school uniforms.

I think the only recent thing that's been this way was Qualidea Code, and that wasn't even an adaptation.
    Heh...I never much liked school uniforms.
  • edited 2017-10-30 04:46:15
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think KyoAni are trying to ruin Free! now.

I mean, we've had the two seasons, the High Speed! movie, the recap movies and the extra theatrical OVAs, I really don't need a "Haru in college" season or similar.

Unless this will be a whole next gen thing in which case I am super-on-board.

I watched the Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku PV, it was really embarrassing how they decided to showcase their super-bad CG lizard as the first shot of the PV, but the rest of the anime looks fine.

At least it wasn't Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, where the PV just looks off overall.
    Planetarian's ED reminds me a bit of Plastic Memories's OP for some reason. Maybe it's because of the stars.
    Why is there no Spanish dub of El Cazador de la Bruja?
    Some people (e.g. on MAL) are surprised that I don't hate dubs, so I wonder if I seem to them as a "that person who likes dubs", but it turns out that of anime series that I've completed, I watched 30 of them dubbed in American English and I watched 31 of them subbed (of which I think 8 have dubs, but either they didn't exist at the time or I didn't know about them). I have noticeably positive overall opinions of 17 of the 30 series I've watched dubbed (of which about 7 are roughly what I'd call faves), and 24 of the 31 series I've watched subbed (of which about 9 are roughly what I'd call faves).
  • edited 2017-11-04 08:05:13
    30 + 31 seems kind of small considering that MAL counts home video bonus features and strangely numbered episodes (i.e Episode 0) separately from the series itself.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    30 + 31 seems kind of small considering that MAL counts home video bonus features and strangely numbered episodes (i.e Episode 0) separately from the series itself.
    I'm deliberately ignoring those as well as movies, and/or grouping them together with the main series.
  • edited 2017-11-04 19:42:53
    interesting rundown of the background that led to the rise of the isekai premise; dunno how accurate it is but it is what it is

incidentally, I think what draws me to some of these stories is ironically not the isekai part but the fact that I'm looking for a story in a JRPG-style fantasy setting, and while I actually don't really care about isekai, I may tolerate it in order to be able to enjoy the rest of it.

though this doesn't explain why I liked Problem Children...though Problem Children wasn't an isekai adventure in the stereotypical sense either, but rather a superpower-based comedy of overdramatization.
  • that I'm looking for a story in a JRPG-style fantasy setting,

Wouldn't the answer to that be "watch more RPG adaptations"?
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    that I'm looking for a story in a JRPG-style fantasy setting,

Wouldn't the answer to that be "watch more RPG adaptations"?

There's not that many of them.
  • There's still a bunch you haven't finished, though.
  • So going by that video, Magical Girl Raising Project: Restart would be one of the weirdest Isekai story for having only female major characters and lacking that specific wish fulfillment in the setup.