If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    As I noted on IRC, I only just today realized that it's not "MahoLku" you're talking about but "Mahoiku".
  • Only fourteenwings writes it in CamelCase.
  • edited 2017-11-13 08:21:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    there's like this indistinct pile of animes that i kinda mean to watch or at least try out but i am having trouble remembering all of them

lemme try to list them

regalia
    flip flappers
    brynhildr in the darkness (also jormungand because that's in the same bin for some reason, probably because brynhild is a character name and jormungandr is also a character name)
    charlotte
    also the other "ange" show, ange vierge
    probably some other ones

also people say genei taiyo or however that's spelled is bad so clearly that means i should try watching it

oh wait, pandora hearts
    that's one of those savage genius series
    there's also elemental gelade in that bin

also kannazuki no miko or starship operators or crest of the stars
  • also people say genei taiyo or however that's spelled is bad so clearly that means i should try watching it

I'd like to see you try.
    ¿Por qué no hay un doblaje en español por El Cazador de la Bruja?
    oh hey here's the indistinct pile, with some stuff crossed out

(2012) Tempest
    [2013] Gargantia
    (2015) Plastic
    [2016] Izetta
    [2015] Charlotte
    [2014] Bahamut
    (2016) Vivid
    [2014] Ange
    [2017] Chain - current ((2014) and (2016)?)
    [2016] Grimgar
    [2015] Asterisk (1)
    (2016) Asterisk (2)
    [2014] Akame
    [2014] Magical Warfare
    [2015] Sky Wizards Academy
    [2015] World Break
    [2015] The Rolling Girls
    [2013] Machine-Doll
    [2013] Psycho-Pass
    [2013] Gatch Crowds
    [2016] Alderamin
    [2016] Planetarian
    (2016) Soul Buster
    (2016) Qualidea
    (2016) Re:Zero on hold pending decision
    (2016) Phantasy
    (2011) Dog Days
    (2014) Celestial Method
    [2009] Tears to Tiara
    [2000] Escaflowne movie
    [2007] Claymore
    [2011] Aria SA / Hidan no Aria
    [2014] Aldnoah
    [2015] Seraph
    () Twin Star Exorcists
    () To LOVE-Ru
    [2014] Brynhildr
    [2003] (Chrono Crusade)
    (Tsubasa Chronicle)
    [2006] D.Gray-man
    () Strawberry Panic
    () Glasslip
    () Rakudai kishi no Cavalry
    [2013] Outbreak Company
    [2012] Btooom
    [2014] Black Bullet
    (2015) Yatterman Night

note: ange refers to cross ange, not ange vierge
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    also people say genei taiyo or however that's spelled is bad so clearly that means i should try watching it

I'd like to see you try.
    honestly, looking at the description, it's probably not my sort of thing anyway
    well that was...odd.

dub kinda bad?
    soundtrack great
    plot confusing?
    ED great
    also i wanted "older-looking characters", not "more fanservice"
  • edited 2017-11-13 16:57:19
    I'm not sure what you're referring to there ^.
    (Tsubasa Chronicle)
    The anime of this suffers from some padding and extended non-adaptation material because it was made before the source material got very far. And it basically croaked without even resolving the anime-original stuff.
    Oh, sorry, that was Kannazuki no Miko.
  • edited 2017-11-14 14:47:04
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    DRAMAtical Murder is going pretty great so far. It's really everything I'd want in a BL adaptation (well, aside from actual BL). NAZ are also doing a great job balancing out all the visual elements. Though from what I could tell in the Re:connect OP, Midorijima is supposed to look more normal outside of Platinum Jail but maybe this is before the franchise had enough money to do a full 3DCG OP.

Continuing with the visual elements, everybody's inner worlds are really interesting looking and weird. Like... I'll never forget the black gunk of insipid statements gushing out of Aoba's ears. It also seems like no matter what I'm watching I will not escape fountains of blood (so far there have been normal ones, ones that flow in every direction possible, and ones that turn into the one guy who gave your friend tattoos that are also murder heroin).

The music is all really great too, and I like that the guy-focus episodes will each apparently have a special ED (The Koujaku one was even by Itou Kanako).

As for Teams; I know Koujaku is main guy but I am Team Noiz all the way.

Relatedly; this is not in the anime but apparently Trip and Virus were really big into fashion faux-pas when they were younger.

I also read some 1001, though not enough to see where it's going yet.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    WIXOSS is basically Mayu's game, so she's allowed to lie.

Though Yuzuki does sort of end up doing what's described in peeping analyze to an extent.
  • edited 2017-11-16 09:54:23
    I just took that "indistinct pile" and added everything that wasn't already added to my PTW, with a few exceptions.

Note to self:

How to find anime to watch:
    * just look in currently watching or PTW, don't even bother looking elsewhere
    * avoid talking anime with people so as to not let PTW grow even bigger
    just look in currently watching or PTW, don't even bother looking elsewhere

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure
  • edited 2017-11-16 10:47:37
    except inevitably i will be introduced to stuff since i hang out with you two :)
  • edited 2017-11-16 12:58:51
    just look in currently watching or PTW, don't even bother looking elsewhere

Catch up on Symphogear and YuYuYu already.
    How to find anime to watch:
    by 14w

*Keep up with seasonal charts
    *Pick shows to watch
    *Watch those shows, do not drop them, do not pick other shows after the episode 3s are out

• I am never getting over the lack of more Magical Raising Project anime.

A different version of Dreamcatcher would be so amazing for later in the story.
    > https://myanimelist.net/character/65261/Origami_Tobiichi

1. Character looks cool.
    2. Character turns out to be from some harem series.
    3. I sigh.

why does this keep happening
  • Character looks cool.

I'm not seeing it.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Character looks cool.

I'm not seeing it.
    Matter of taste.
    I went and watched the first episode of Date A Live.

Origami Tobiichi is cool especially when she stands up straight.

Otherwise, it was a disappointment, unfortunately.
  • edited 2017-11-17 12:20:29
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I watched the first two episodes of Date A Live. I don't remember much aside from the lollipop obsessed imouto being an imouto. That and that it's the only series in recent memory that mimics the Evangelion style "city goes underground during crises" thing.
    A different version of Dreamcatcher would be so amazing for later in the story.

The final battle in Limited comes to an end.

Suddenly, bittersweet is playing as a special ED.

Seriously Lerche I would kill for this.
  • Would this be after the last death in Limited or the "of course these characters are still relevant" epilogue?
    I imagine it would be when 7753 is kind of standing there, not sure where to look anymore.

The epilogue feels like more of a DON'T TELL ME THAT THE SABLE IS FOR MY OWN SAKE type deal.

There is a nano song for every important MahoIku occassion, I think.
  • edited 2017-11-17 19:23:54
    @fourteenwings As per IRC, since you mentioned watching Date A Live with you:

To whatever extent that "with" means considering that we're not actually in physical proximity and I'm also watching the English dub while you're probably watching it subbed...I'm up for it.
  • edited 2017-11-18 00:45:17
    also @DYRE re https://myanimelist.net/character/63845/Kyouko_Kirigiri

Perhaps I'll like her if I watch the show, but such characters can be a hit-or-miss.

Like, yeah, I like Tobiichi Origami but on the other hand I also hate Homura Nagi from Mai-HiME. It depends on their personality whether I like the aloof mysterious character type.

Sidenote: characters whom I keep forgetting which is their surname:
    * Homura Nagi
    * Misaki Mikoto
    * Shirai Kuroko
    * Uiharu
    * Saten Ruiko
    * Yuzuki Yukari

I think the Railgun cast run on a last-name basis for whatever reason, which is part of what threw me off.
  • Nagi isn't so much aloof as actively unhelpful.
  • edited 2017-11-18 09:38:54
    sorry for bringing up MadoMagi again but I just found a review that hits so many of my nails on their heads, which gives me that nice feeling that I wasn't the only one to feel this way. (TL;DR at end)

https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=173669

* "pacing is horrendously rushed"; " The 12 episodes we were given did not allow for the events taking place in the story to flow naturally and instead make this programme come off as a rather forced melodrama." "we're given time to actually connect with the characters which is something that Madoka's 12-episode runtime simply doesn't allow for. I understand that the length of a show isn't necessarily indicative of whether or not the characters are good because there definitely are 1-cour programmes that deliver quite a bit on the character front (i.e. White Album 2, OreGairu, Usagi Drop, etc). At the same time, this story contains far too much content for it to actually work with the 1-cour length."; "...people fail to understand that without the boring parts of a show, the good bits wouldn't be nearly as good and would instead become mediocre."; "the short length doesn't allow for foreshadowing of any kind to really happen so [plot twists] just take you by surprise"

* lack of emotional engagement: "Something is horrendously wrong with your programme if I cannot bring myself to feel even the slightest modicum of emotion for what transpires despite the characters making a big deal of it all."; "I couldn't find myself feeling any modicum of emotion (not even pity) for Madoka, Homura, Sayaka, Kyoko, and Mami but at the same time... there was just something rather unnerving about how their circumstances just kept getting worse by the minute."

* something i suspected to have affected my opinion all along: "heavily reliant on shock value", "over-reliance on plot twists"

* not directly relevant to the show but is my opinion of its fandom by and large: "Magic girl programmes (and battle shonens to a similar extent) suffer from this "image" that exists in the minds of most people as nothing more than childish drivel about friendship and idealism that can't grow the fuck up. Given the fact that Madoka Magica is a shocking moe drama as well as a magic girl show, the end result is basically having thousands of fans saying that Madoka isn't like other magic girl shows and is a definite must-watch."

* novelty does not equal enjoyability: "A series doesn't automatically become a masterpiece just because it "breaks the mould" as the saying goes."

* not directly about the show, but relevant to the commentary on it: "Madoka Magica is often praised to no end as a deconstruction of magic girl anime. Yeah... I don't buy it."

* MadoMagi lacks a sense of subtlety: "Say what you will about Evangelion, but one thing that Gainax has that SHAFT lacks in its entirety is tact. Don't get me wrong, subtlety isn't exactly Evangelion's strong suit either but it certainly has more than Madoka does, that's for sure."

* "lack of world-building"

* unfitting/unjustified resolution: "it just forces a happy ending out of nowhere"

* leaving me questioning the show's/writing's motives and considering the possibility that the setting actively conspires to make things worse for the characters: "I'd question why shit had to constantly get worse for the characters in every episode"; "the wishes that the girls made were really selfish even though they seemed selfless at first. Even if Madoka herself was to make a wish like being able to grant her own wishes exactly as she intends for them to come out, there's no telling how horribly it can backfire because the world this show takes place in is an extremely cruel and nihilistic one.", "a show that spends 11 episodes psychologically torturing its characters"

a nail I hadn't hit before:

* the show is "sexist": "For one thing, does this mean that boys that are of the same age don't go through emotional turmoil like teenage girls do? What of teenage girls who happen to suffer from psychological disorders/trauma? Why does Kyubi opt to only focus on teenage girls when there are many other people of both genders across all age ranges that are just as emotionally volatile if not moreso?"

TL;DR: the storytelling seems "forced"/rushed/gratuitous in various ways, resulting in my lack of emotional engagement with the story itself, my feeling that is contrived, and then my questioning its motives.