If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    Well yeah I wouldn't have it any other way, but it's like... lacking in merit or whatever.
  • edited 2017-06-24 14:41:15
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    My issue here is that she takes me out of it completely. I get why Sayaka needs to learn the lesson here. But making her friend into the person who denies her her dream is so transparently mean from the author that I'd see as more natural for him to break the fourth wall and adress the audience rather than what we got.
  • It's not really Sayaka's dream considering she's capable of getting over it.
  • edited 2017-06-24 14:40:38
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Getting over a disappointment doesn't tell us in any way if what we were bummed out about was our dream or not. Or else an olympic contender who loses their ability to compete in atheltics was somehow never into winning gold medals anyway.
  • edited 2017-06-24 15:05:15
    The way she puts it in the final episode sounds like a relationship wasn't even what she wanted most from him.
    And while I' not sure if it was supposed to be the cause or effect of how things went for her, but during most of the series Sayaka didn't seem too great at conveying things, even with herself, so I'd trust her more post-death.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    She wanted him to acknowledge her, given her admiration of him. It manifested as a crush in life, but after death, what's the point of not coming to terms with the unreality of the expectation now that she is gone? Of course she has perspective now that she is dead, but that doesn't invalidate her desires and wants when she was alive.
  • edited 2017-06-24 15:41:07
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think Sayaka did love the idea of a relationship with Kyousuke, and I think her not feeling that way later is fine but it doesn't discount her very real feelings that lead her down that path.
    I don't know if it's because Sekaisuru Kado is being so completely the worst or maybe Symphogear GX was really disappointing but I think I was too hard on Rinne no Lagrange.

I don't think anything warrants a third rewatch though.
  • edited 2017-06-24 16:07:59
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    vandro wrote: »
    My issue here is that she takes me out of it completely. I get why Sayaka needs to learn the lesson here. But making her friend into the person who denies her her dream is so transparently mean from the author that I'd see as more natural for him to break the fourth wall and adress the audience rather than what we got.
    Basically my opinion of the series, specifically that it feels heavy-handed and unnatural.

Given this it's less surprising that my opinion with regards to Homura was to go fully meta and argue that the author(s) set her up to fail intentionally.
  • edited 2017-06-24 16:23:51
    Urobuchi didn't. His original plan for the movie was different but he decided that Shinbo's suggestion made more sense or something like that.
    As for the series, it's quite dumb for anybody to succeed in a superhero story because of specific personal attachment rather than wanting to improve the world.
    specifically that it feels heavy-handed and unnatural.

To be honest aside from Hitomi the series is pretty spot on with emotional beats. I don't know why there's such a big disconnect between you and me on this one show.
  • vandro wrote: »
    She wanted him to acknowledge her, given her admiration of him. It manifested as a crush in life, but after death, what's the point of not coming to terms with the unreality of the expectation now that she is gone? Of course she has perspective now that she is dead, but that doesn't invalidate her desires and wants when she was alive.

When she was alive, the strongest indicator of that being her actual dream (or the closest to anybody claiming it to be that) was Mami asking her, and she was only guessing based on something she might sort of recall having happened to somebody else.
  • edited 2017-06-24 17:21:32
    l6yESi3.jpg
    But why?

uA3XAdq.jpg
    Come on, it stopped being funny already.

F20tkS5.jpg
    Seriously.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    Urobuchi didn't. His original plan for the movie was different but he decided that Shinbo's suggestion made more sense or something like that.
    As for the series, it's quite dumb for anybody to succeed in a superhero story because of specific personal attachment rather than wanting to improve the world.
    This isn't a superhero story, and "superhero" can be just a premise and not necessarily a story type anyway. In any case, the idea that something should or shouldn't happen based on how well it matches a story archetype, that's justified as much (or little) as the argument that the authors treated a character unfairly and should therefore have written the story differently.
    I don't know why there's such a big disconnect between you and me on this one show.
    What other shows so far do we have this for? Lagrin I know...Cross Ange? though I think you said it just wasn't your thing so you didn't watch it. And IIRC you also said you didn't watch Arpeggio either.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    It still is a story with super powers. Homura has misused them again and again in a vain attempt to save madoka without taking her feelings into account. Still a dickish action propelled by her selfish desires.
    It still is a story with super powers.
    In this sense, a huge number of anime series are superhero stories, just by having fantastic or even sci-fi elements that at least some characters are able to control or otherwise make use of.
    Homura has misused them again and again in a vain attempt to save madoka without taking her feelings into account. Still a dickish action propelled by her selfish desires.
    But then couldn't you argue this is the case for anyone who decides things without the explicit consent of those affected? In which case it'd be applicable to a vast number of cases. Like in a superhero archetype story, what if the villain has a different vision of justice rather than seeing themselves as the designated loser whose fate it is to be defeated?
    Saving Madoka is in no way, on no level, ever "justice" or a "just" act to Homura. She's content to let everybody but Madoka die, if you've forgotten.
    And IIRC you also said you didn't watch Arpeggio either.

I think I watched Arpeggio before you did, and we talked about it too? I even watched the sequel movie earlier this year (or late last year don't quote me on this).
    Saving Madoka is in no way, on no level, ever "justice" or a "just" act to Homura. She's content to let everybody but Madoka die, if you've forgotten.
    But they were already fated to die unnatural deaths and turn into witches because they had already contracted with Kyubey. Unless you're referring to the whole "but Madoka's witch form will destroy the world even harder", which is precisely one of the pieces that I feel is a diabolus ex machina.

And IIRC you also said you didn't watch Arpeggio either.
    I think I watched Arpeggio before you did, and we talked about it too? I even watched the sequel movie earlier this year (or late last year don't quote me on this).
    I distinctly remember you not having watched at least one of AKB0048, Lagrin, Symphogear, Arpeggio, or Coppelion, when I mentioned it to you. And you obviously have seen the first three. Maybe it's Coppelion then.
    Coppelion, I was going to watch it and then I didn't.
  • edited 2017-06-25 16:27:15
    This isn't a superhero story, and "superhero" can be just a premise and not necessarily a story type anyway. In any case, the idea that something should or shouldn't happen based on how well it matches a story archetype, that's justified as much (or little) as the argument that the authors treated a character unfairly and should therefore have written the story differently.

Magical girls of the "transform and beat shit up" variety are pretty firmly under super hero as much as the various Ishinomori scifi guys or even Mazinger Z. PMMM's premise of magical girls only opposing witches rather than doing general crimefighting is super typical for Japanese super heroes, except that the Witches aren't organized.

And it's hardly unfair when her take on "saving" Madoka amounts preventing her from doing anything that would help people. It wouldn't be good in real life either.

But then couldn't you argue this is the case for anyone who decides things without the explicit consent of those affected? In which case it'd be applicable to a vast number of cases. Like in a superhero archetype story, what if the villain has a different vision of justice rather than seeing themselves as the designated loser whose fate it is to be defeated?

Homura doesn't even have this. Even her objections are grounded in personal attachment rather than a sense of right and wrong. The one time Sayaka's assumptions about anybody turn out to be spot on is when she figures out that Homura only cares about anything in as far is it affects Madoka.

She isn't even slightly sadder at the timeline when Madoka destroys the world compared to when she just dies.
    But they were already fated to die unnatural deaths and turn into witches because they had already contracted with Kyubey.

Again, she doesn't even act like anything is wrong or bad, no matter how horrible besides how it would affect Madoka. Like how she's only upset about Kyoko dying because if they can't stop Walpurgisnacht, Madoka will become a magical girl.

Actually, I've never seen this pointed out, but Homura starts acting more confidently after Mami dies, which maybe counts as being affected.

Magical girls of the "transform and beat shit up" variety are pretty firmly under super hero as much as the various Ishinomori scifi guys or even Mazinger Z. PMMM's premise of magical girls only opposing witches rather than doing general crimefighting is super typical for Japanese super heroes, except that the Witches aren't organized.
    That's still looking at the story through the lens (and playing it off the expectations) of a superhero series, which is just as fair as any other cross-genre reading of the story, because magical girl shows are generally considered a genre separate from superhero shows.
    And it's hardly unfair when her take on "saving" Madoka amounts preventing her from doing anything that would help people. It wouldn't be good in real life either.
    No, Homura's intention is to prevent Madoka from taking a Faustian bargain.

Unless you're going to argue that the Faustian bargain is required to do any good in this world because it's a crapsack world, but at that point I'm arguing that the way the show is written makes it less of a crapsack-but-consistent world but rather an intentionally-crapsack world that intentionally stays crapsack despite characters' attempts to make it otherwise.

Homura doesn't even have this. Even her objections are grounded in personal attachment rather than a sense of right and wrong. The one time Sayaka's assumptions about anybody turn out to be spot on is when she figures out that Homura only cares about anything in as far is it affects Madoka.

She isn't even slightly sadder at the timeline when Madoka destroys the world compared to when she just dies.
    Feeling sad is different from recognizing something as wrong. For example, someone could be really jaded from doing something for the nth time already, but that doesn't mean they don't have a moral compass.

And trying to keep someone from taking a Faustian bargain because you've been able to see what harm it can do IS a rather morally upright thing to do.

Furthermore, as I pointed out, Madoka dying and Madoka destroying the world are both failure states that result in the conclusion "gotta try this over again".
    But they were already fated to die unnatural deaths and turn into witches because they had already contracted with Kyubey.

Again, she doesn't even act like anything is wrong or bad, no matter how horrible besides how it would affect Madoka. Like how she's only upset about Kyoko dying because if they can't stop Walpurgisnacht, Madoka will become a magical girl.
    After they contract with Kyubey, the rest of them become lost causes because they've already taken the Faustian bargain.
  • edited 2017-06-25 22:59:04
    They're not lost causes, just because becoming a witch or dying in a fight is inevitable doesn't make them not worth helping. More importantly, Homura never tries to prevent anyone besides Madoka from contracting, though it might be only Sayaka that she could. It's never "can I help her?" but "how is this affecting Madoka?"

Also,
    because magical girl shows are generally considered a genre separate from superhero shows.
    If I bothered to Venn diagram, this is in the category of overlap between magical girl and super hero.

Hell, super hero is more descriptive in this case since the unifying factor of magical girl has more to do with aesthetic rather than anything like premise. Though I'm not sure if there's a term for the exact "we fight one type of enemy" deal.
    Feeling sad is different from recognizing something as wrong. For example, someone could be really jaded from doing something for the nth time already, but that doesn't mean they don't have a moral compass.

She has done neither except specifically in regards to how any given thing affects Madoka.
    Unless you're going to argue that the Faustian bargain is required to do any good in this world because it's a crapsack world, but at that point I'm arguing that the way the show is written makes it less of a crapsack-but-consistent world but rather an intentionally-crapsack world that intentionally stays crapsack despite characters' attempts to make it otherwise.

It's more that this is a fantasy story and staying a normal human lets you do next to nothing.

Also, this crapsack distinction just sounds ridiculously biased unless you make the same judgement that upbeat stories are "intentionally" so and "intentionally" stay that way. Going the way characters want doesn't make things inherently more natural than things not working out for them, especially with how changing the world works in real life, so I'm not seeing how this of all things is where the line should be drawn.

More specifically, nobody in PMMM actually tried to change the world besides Kyoko in her backstory and you know, final timeline Madoka, whom Homura wouldn't have allowed.
  • edited 2017-06-25 22:12:15
    Also also there's something weird about your use of "Faustian bargain" here. The term usually suggests sacrificing values to fulfil one's desire, and the wishes aren't selfish like that. There's also the meaning of "without considering long-term effects", but it stops being that whenever Madoka finds out what it leads to. Which is like, episode 9.
  • edited 2017-06-26 05:04:46
    They're not lost causes, just because becoming a witch or dying in a fight is inevitable doesn't make them not worth helping. More importantly, Homura never tries to prevent anyone besides Madoka from contracting, though it might be only Sayaka that she could. It's never "can I help her?" but "how is this affecting Madoka?"
    And after several dozen tries perhaps she's trying different approaches, such as lowering her standards a bit so that instead of gloriously saving everyone, she at least can save her best friend.
    Hell, super hero is more descriptive in this case since the unifying factor of magical girl has more to do with aesthetic rather than anything like premise. Though I'm not sure if there's a term for the exact "we fight one type of enemy" deal.
    I'm not sure how "super hero" is more descriptive than "magical girl". Both seem to be basically premises, possibly with some common plot elements attached. In any case though I'm not sure I associate superhero stories with fighting one type of enemy -- there's often just one evil organization but don't they typically come up with different types of antagonists. Unless it's something like sentai.
    She has done neither except specifically in regards to how any given thing affects Madoka.
    And for that matter we haven't seen most of the time she's spent doing things.
    It's more that this is a fantasy story and staying a normal human lets you do next to nothing.
    But having to die by becoming a force of despair that drives people to suicide unless stopped by someone else who's taken on powers that result in them dying by becoming a force of despair that drives people to suicide unless stopped by someone else who's etc. is not exactly a good thing either.
    Also, this crapsack distinction just sounds ridiculously biased unless you make the same judgement that upbeat stories are "intentionally" so and "intentionally" stay that way. Going the way characters want doesn't make things inherently more natural than things not working out for them, especially with how changing the world works in real life, so I'm not seeing how this of all things is where the line should be drawn.
    It's not so much "going the way the characters want" as much as it is "going the way the characters want given that they have done sufficiently clever things to actually deserve it".

I'm just drawing a line that the setting should feel consistent in ways that make sense in-universe, rather than by decree of the needs of the writers. It's like, if you gain superpowers that do a certain thing, they should be able to do that thing, rather than introducing new barriers to doing that thing without good reason.

Well, unless "proving that it was impossible anyway" is good enough reason.
    Also also there's something weird about your use of "Faustian bargain" here. The term usually suggests sacrificing values to fulfil one's desire, and the wishes aren't selfish like that. There's also the meaning of "without considering long-term effects", but it stops being that whenever Madoka finds out what it leads to. Which is like, episode 9.
    A Faustian bargain -- or more precisely, a "deal with the Devil" -- is gaining great power from some external source that gives a catch, usually by way of the Devil or other antagonistic force rigging the system against the person making the bargain. Thing is, such a bargain does actually have a win state -- it's just hard to achieve because the scenario ends up being rigged against the person.

The show appears, in my opinion, to be written such that Homura's wish does not have a win state -- the win state is actually not achievable at all.

Now we can take an alternate formulation of the Faustian bargain (one that's closer to its namesake) -- where it's gaining great power at great price. Generally speaking this means actually gaining the power specified, and then having to pay something else for it. This is essentially the way the magical girl system works -- you get one wish fulfilled, but you massively screw up something else in your life because of it. (A similar system with a horrible catch was used in Mai-HiME.)

Thing is, Homura's wish never actually gets fulfilled. Sayaka's and Kyouko's wishes do get fulfilled, albeit with nasty unintended negative consequences. However, Homura's wish is never fulfilled, yet she is nevertheless saddled with the unintended negative consequences. So even if we see it that way, Homura's still getting a rawer deal than usual.
  • edited 2017-06-26 20:18:36
    Homura's wish was so that she could protect Madoka, not prevent something in particular from happening. That Madoka made it to the point she could make a wish without being fooled is plenty protected. She even says she got there thanks to Homura. It's not specifically what Homura wanted, but it fits what she asked for. That's actually not too far off from Kyoko, who got what she asked for (people following her father) rather than what she wanted (her family not ending up terribly).
    Sayaka's and Kyouko's wishes do get fulfilled, albeit with nasty unintended negative consequences.
    The bad things that happened with Sayaka ar due to her later actions than the wish itself, considering that Kyosuke doesn't end up doing anything bad, unlike Kyoko's father.
    And after several dozen tries perhaps she's trying different approaches, such as lowering her standards a bit so that instead of gloriously saving everyone, she at least can save her best friend.
    That's definitely not the case. From the beginning it's always about Madoka. She barely even acknowledged Mami until she tried to kill her.
    I'm not sure how "super hero" is more descriptive than "magical girl". Both seem to be basically premises, possibly with some common plot elements attached.
    PMMM's plot elements have more in common with like, 2000s Kamen Rider than say, Tweeny Witches or the early Bewitched derivatives, so no, they're not equal here.
    (though there's the weirdness of how much it has in common with Utena despite not sharing much of the premise)
    And for that matter we haven't seen most of the time she's spent doing things.
    Sure, but assuming she never did something she was never shown to do (or even be interested in) is a bigger stretch than to assume she didn't.
    I'm not sure I associate superhero stories with fighting one type of enemy -- there's often just one evil organization but don't they typically come up with different types of antagonists. Unless it's something like sentai.
    Sentai also tends to be the "establish one villain group at the start and they're responsible for basically every enemy the heroes face" kind. Though I guess it's not so much "one kind" as "one group", with looser definitions of "group" over time. And this is pretty much a Japan-only thing from what I could find.
    It's not so much "going the way the characters want" as much as it is "going the way the characters want given that they have done sufficiently clever things to actually deserve it".
    Nobody in PMMM is exactly clever.

Also the defintion of Faustian bargain I've found on dictionary sites isn't that it's rigged against the Faust figure, but that it's immoral or short-sighted on the Faust figure's part to agree. Dictionay.com also stresses that it's about how much Faust is willing to sacrifice to satisfy his desire with no mention of whether or not Mephistopheles rigged it.
  • edited 2017-06-27 00:45:27

Touyama in real life is actually her character from Magical Girl Raising Project. Maybe this explains something.
    That's definitely not the case. From the beginning it's always about Madoka. She barely even acknowledged Mami until she tried to kill her.
    That was the case in the timeline we witnessed the most of, but given that there were many iterations of the timeline before this one...
    PMMM's plot elements have more in common with like, 2000s Kamen Rider than say, Tweeny Witches or the early Bewitched derivatives, so no, they're not equal here.
    (though there's the weirdness of how much it has in common with Utena despite not sharing much of the premise)
    Fair enough, but simply sharing plot elements doesn't really say how one thing should or shouldn't go. Furthermore, you may feel that this feels like a superhero show, while I think that this feels like a character drama. That's basically subjective.
    Also the defintion of Faustian bargain I've found on dictionary sites isn't that it's rigged against the Faust figure, but that it's immoral or short-sighted on the Faust figure's part to agree. Dictionay.com also stresses that it's about how much Faust is willing to sacrifice to satisfy his desire with no mention of whether or not Mephistopheles rigged it.
    The Faustian bargain or the deal with the Devil definitely varies from story to story, as Wikipedia's description notes. (And one of the possible variants does involve the "Devil" losing the bet.)
  • Copied from HH because.:

I finished Black★Rock Shooter and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love it

i don't care that everyone said it was bad

i don't care that i'd probably agree with them if i tried to look at it objectively

my heart tells me it was great and that's all i care about

i love the characters and their super intense but fundamentally relatable emotions

i love the action scenes that make no pretense of being anything but super cool looking fights on cool looking environments with cool looking characters, to represent the characters' feelings

i love the plot that just gets completely bonkers halfway through for no reason

and it doesn't mean anything, but i was crying for like the entirety of the last two episodes.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhh but

well i still don't know if this means i recommend it to other people in general but like, objectively: the action scenes are a big part of the show and are cool and heavily stylized so it's probably worth watching even if just for that, and at least for the first half the characterization is basically like... might as well have been a WIXOSS subplot, so there's also that aspect for those for whom that's their thing.

i'm going to look back at this post in like, a day, and wonder why i ever liked this show but for now...
    it's good.
  • edited 2017-06-27 19:16:28
    i need to watch that show
    thank you for reminding me
    BRS is great, Saya is great, YOMI IS GREAT

Thoughts as of episode 4.