If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    But there's only two characters with that kind of headgear. Maybe three depending on what counts as separate people.

H26XwPs.jpg

I'm not sure when I started picking things to watch just because the casting seemed like it could end up funny, but this might work out.

I always liked that style of headband
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is there a reason there's a Dies Irae soundtrack before the series is even out?
  • edited 2017-07-04 08:14:31
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Probably from one of the 10 iterations of the VN.

Anime I intend to try this cour:
    • Made in Abyss
    • 18if
    • Hitorijime My Hero
    • Knight's & Magic
    • Princess Principal
    • Shoukoku no Altair
  • edited 2017-07-05 06:01:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    So I'm going to return to criticizing Madoka Magica again because apparently that's just what I do especially when I run into a video that I actually largely agree with.

Specifically, this video.

I usually don't like this CinemaSins sort of criticism, but...the actual points this video brings up? It basically puts into words a lot of what I'm not liking about this, into clear, easy-to-understand points. Generally speaking, a lot of the criticisms fall into two categories:
    * The mechanics of this setting are not well-defined, and the audience does not get enough information to understand "first-hand" how things work in this setting. Much of it is given via explanations that don't necessarily make sense themselves. The rules governing wishes, for example, are very vague at best -- they are pretty much arbitrary. Actually, same goes for labyrinths, soul (And besides, the show is often not clear about how real any of its visuals are, and instead merely relies on explanations -- or just leaves them as an exercise for the audience. A number of visual features seem to be drawn specifically to evoke a reaction from the audience, even though they'd make no sense in-universe why they'd be there -- e.g. everything from Homura's apartment to the "front-row seat for the ending". This feels like it's done for the grandeur, which is fine and dandy by itself, but...)
    * Perhaps as a result of the mechanics not being properly explained, a number of the main characters' actions don't really make much sense. They make strategic blunders that seem really obvious to the audience, but it's not even clear why they make those blunders. Sometimes their decisions seem counterintuitive or even conflicting with their previously-stated positions, but these decisions are not explained.
    * Some information that is presented is rather ham-handed. For example, that bit about "is Kyouko actually seeing these images in her mind, or why are images playing out in the labyrinth itself?". Besides that, a lot of explanations, coincidences, exceptions to rules, and so forth are, frankly, just too...convenient.

If more solid information were available, then the audience could either come up with a better solution to the scenario presented (one which could become the resolution of the scenario as a whole, in the show), or conclude that the situation really is hopeless. However, given the show as it is, the lack of information makes it hard for the audience to come to either conclusion independently -- rather, much of the information has to be simply taken secondhand (or worse) at face value, that these characters did these things for reasons not fully elaborated on and suchandsuch results happened for reasons not fully explained. This might work for a show that's about simply chronicling the events that occur and communicating this as a history to be appreciated poetically, but this show, Madoka Magica, insists on trying to bring the audience to an understanding of the setting, with its long and complex explanations.

Between these criticisms, and Kyubey's manipulative methods yet pretty much willfully-ignorant insistence that he is impartial and fair, and the occasional leaning on the fourth wall, and finally the fact that a number of explanations and mechanics and often feel rather coincidentially convenient...it's not hard to instead conclude that the rules are basically being made up ad hoc and there is an extracontextual meddling insistence on screwing with attempts a happy ending, just to make a point.

And of course, Homura's the one person standing in the way of making that point.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Oh I totally forgot to make up a retrospective post:

Spring 2017

ID-0: Great, really enjoyable. A few missteps early on with the characterization, but the story was above competent and really enjoyable. Music was brilliant, CG was nice, really liked the plot.

Seikaisuru Kado: An interesting, high concept show... until it turned into a bad LN anime that deserves to be forgotten.

Fukumenkei Noise: It was kind of a burden to get through this, and I didn't understand why until it ended. It was kind of just... poor all over, everything aside from the songs with Takagaki leading. It was also really sexist, for anime.
    Do you people like Goro Goro Iki
    Made in Abyss is perfect. Perfect.
  • 1ck5wby.jpg

I can't believe Fate/Apocrypha managed to convince me that "Symphogear VA as angry blonde girl with dad issues" can make for a compelling character.
    Alice or Alice: Siscon Niisan to Futago no Imouto

The anime we all deserve.
    So I (finally?) discovered that MAL has a blog feature.

https://myanimelist.net/blog/GlennMagusHarvey

Here goes my first post.
    I'll be sure to read all your posts.

I really, really wanted to see what the My Hero parts of Hitorijime My Hero are like (the second and third episodes are an adaptation of the prequel, Hitorijime Boyfriend) but there's no way I can justify continuing to watch a show where a guy molests his best friend under the threat of ending their friendship.
    Watched the first episode of Shinreigari - Ghost Hound. It's a show that's been on my radar for quite a while, and I've decided to finally give it a shot.

It's very pretty and atmospheric, but I had to admit that I was that close to giving up during the first few minutes. It picked up nicely eventually though.

I like the premise, and the characters have good backstories so far. I read a while back that for your characters to be interesting now, they had to be interesting then (meaning before the story starts). Aside from LN anime where characters have worst reasoning for their powers existing, anime doesn't tend to do this.

I also like how since their backstories exist, we've already got a good sense of of how they relate to each other (main character and his sister were kidnapped by one of the deuteragonists' father, who murdered MCs sister). It's a really interesting set-up.

Of course, this is all actually about crossing to the spirit world under the guise of lucid dreaming. There's a tight lid on that right now, but what I've seen so far makes me think it'll be some genuinely fun sequences. I also checked it out on MAL and it turns out there are lots of unanswered questions to it, so those'll be fun mysteries to speculate over.

I also like that when the characters are far away, they have that arthouse style where realism (well, anime 'realism') just leaves the building and they show up as these really nice-looking abstracts.
    I watched Chunnbiyo (the one with Rikka and Junna, DARK FLAME MASTER) and it wa cute. Many feels.

Not as many as Dragon Maid but helluva lot more than Gabriel dRopout.
    My mind groups Dragon Maid (which it calls Maid Dragon like the Japanese title despite the English title being the reverse) and Gabriel Dropout together.
    Well they're both seasonal anime.

I watched GabDrop in its entirety and kind of felt....very little. The manga mite be better but I ain't reading it.
    I always thought that maybe Gabriel Dropout! would be a good comedy to watch if I'd cared at the time, but I was too busy forcing myself through Kemono Friends that cour.

I hear Vatican Kiseki Chousakan is insane, so I'm going to keep that in mind for after Ghost Hound. I feel like lately I'm coming up on a lot of things I'd enjoy and Hina Logi is kind of getting lost in the mix.
  • edited 2017-07-30 09:37:49
    If Gabriel Dropout includes more jokes like counting [thing] to sleep, I might like it more.

If Gabriel Dropout includes more jokes like [character] can't fit into her bra, then I might like it less.

I have not yet seen it so I don't know.
  • Battle Girl High School genuinely impresses me in how it got my opinion of Touyama's voice to turn around, even though she sounds like usual.
  • edited 2017-07-30 13:13:57
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Oh darn it starting Shinreigari right now was a mistaaaaaake. I'm practically a slave to seasonal culture and I keep almost starting Vatican Kiseki Chousakan.

On the other hand, I could like have even five seconds of patience, finish Shinreigari and Gangsta, and then start the Vatican thing. Even if it is in the Fall or later.

In actual news Persona 5 is getting an anime. I'm genuinely excited.
  • edited 2017-07-30 16:59:52
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-Collection-HG-Figrue-Homura-PVC-Japan-Anime-Cute-/282028893067?hash=item41aa3b638b:g:rcMAAOSwvihY-EM9

if i actually bothered with figurines, this $27 with free shipping is still cheaper than $30 at the convention

also you can move the kyubey piece around or even not display it which is a plus

except i have no space to display them and all they'd do is collect dust

also re prices, lol the person selling used fripside CDs for $27+ when they all go for <$26 on amazon
  • edited 2017-07-30 17:11:12
    I'd be suspicious of anything at that kind of size at that kind of price.

edit: Huh, it's at way lower on Amazon JP and only has a one star review.
    Doesn't everything on Amazon JP have mostly one star reviews?
  • Just doing a search for Homura, the answer would be "no"..
    Madoka is proof that you don't need Zettai, tits and panty shots to sell merchandise.
    the answer would be "no"..

I guess those aren't as harsh as they are for games.

This is a weird position, but I think I don't mind extremely overt fanservice as much as I mind "Here are the 10 characters, each with an image color" type of top-down driven approach to merchandising.

I mean, if you make one character who everybody likes, can't you just put them on more merchandise?
  • there were many Magical Girls with philosophies such as

I’m just a strong Magical Girl

I can think of nothing else but beating others

With blood in my hands, I’ve won my rightful place as a Magical Girl

I’m going to kill people

I don’t care about the lives of others

Magical Girl Raising Project's universe sure is edgier than I would've guessed from the anime.
    Ghost Hound has really thrown me for a loop. I'm not sure I'll take it as seriously as I once did, but I'll try a few more episodes.

Watched the Persona 5 anime prequel. It was... bad. It chose a twist over writing a really solidly built plot, and sacrificed a decently set-up character for a weird mess of nonsense.

Buuuuut then that amazing A-1 "this is bad but you'll like it anyways" thing kicked in and I found myself enjoying it way more than was warranted. I'm really looking forward to the actual TV anime now. I just hope it doesn't try to 180 from this direction, because people say the game has a good plot or whatever.
    So is A-1 supposed to be bad, amazing, or bad for other reasons?
  • Times like these I wish I screencapped the more off-looking scenes of Qualidea Code.