If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Code Grass now has a sequel project called Lelouch of the Resurrection. Lelouch being the main character.
  • Serocco wrote: »
    Code Grass

Lawnmower of the Rebellion.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Y'all ever get those odd moments when you are thinking about a show and you enjoy thinking about it but don't actually want to watch it?
  • I used to, but I realized that was a bigger waste of time in the long run than actually watching.

Serocco wrote: »
    Geass XDD

ecks dee
    Pokémon XP: Gale of Compatibility
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirlfriend

I want to see a show that basically just takes this trope but cuts out the boy in the relationship and puts said "girlfriend" in the driver's seat of the plot all around it.

Imagine Asuna being the powerhouse player in SAO.  Or Inori being the actual lead in Guilty Crown (while Shu doesn't even show up).  Or Julis Riessfeld being the main character in a social/political intrigue story called The Asterisk War.

Perhaps I'm watching shows like these, despite them being not what I want them to be, because they give me the chance to dream about rewriting them the way I want.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    That seems to be an exercise in self-frustration.

Why not wait for the Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de Aru anime (which is a thing that will definitely happen one day)?

My thoughts on Fall 2016:

Aikatsu Stars! : This seems to be the serious middley part of the show, and every episode has really been hitting it out of the park. I'm glad.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku : I love this show so much I can't even.

Lostorage incited WIXOSS : I'll admit, this started in a dull place for me, but once the (human) characters started really weaving in and out of each other and the LRIGs came out in full force, I feel like it became a better show for it. Not just for the suffering, even.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi : Matoi is like... the basic magical girl show about stuff, but it hits all the right notes and that's what makes it fun... for the side characters, I still don't really like Matoi that much.
    That seems to be an exercise in self-frustration.

Why not wait for the Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de Aru anime (which is a thing that will definitely happen one day)?

I don't really find it frustrating, honestly. If anything it gives me an additional way to engage with the story, like, an additional thing I can do with it, beyond simply sitting and "enjoying" it passively.

And I wasn't particularly enamored with YuYuYu's setting so I don't feel a special need to get more of it.
  • edited 2016-12-14 15:36:17

I don't really find it frustrating, honestly. If anything it gives me an additional way to engage with the story, like, an additional thing I can do with it, beyond simply sitting and "enjoying" it passively.
    That's like, not specific to any particular genre, premise or format.  I'm quite sure people do that with just about everything.
    I'm also quite sure none of those three fit into Bewitched/Jeannie Magical Girlfriend format. For one thing, they're not mentioned in the examples list.
    And I wasn't particularly enamored with YuYuYu's setting so I don't feel a special need to get more of it.

YuYuYu itself was pretty poor at presenting its own setting when taken on its own. Or rather, it clearly assumes the viewer already knew from other sources.
    And the better things about NoWaYu aren't in its relation to YuYuYu anyway.
  • edited 2016-12-14 19:44:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Doing a bit more TVT-browsing suggests I may actually be going for the "Mysterious Waif" or "Mystical Waif" trope, and trying to ask when you have said Mystical Waif actually being the main character herself.

Having weird hair color is just a feature correlated with being a Mystical Waif.
  • edited 2016-12-16 17:18:05
    @fourteenwings did you reply to me on IRC last night, especially regarding my finishing Hundred?  Because I missed it.  I forgot to turn off Yaaic before I went to sleep, sorry, and it doesn't store logs either :(

also i guess you have the last laugh because its OP is now stuck in my head
    i still don't like its key change from verse to refrain though
    I did I said I was glad you enjoyed it but I would never watch it (but I'd obviously actually tried to watch it when it was airing because Hatano Wataru is in it).
    Who does Hatano Wataru play?

Also I think I'm hitting another "set" of anime series -- the trilogy of Asterisk War, Hundred, and Absolute Duo, possibly with a "plus one" of Qualidea Code.

Previous "sets", basically series with a similar theme that I watched around the same time:

Kiddy Grade led me to Stratos 4, which began a set of "girls in space" series, including S4, Rocket Girls, and Sky Girls (despite it not going to space), and later Stellvia. (Strain I only watched later.)

Kiddy Grade also should have been a "gímik" set with Uta~Kata, but I watched Uta~Kata so much later. Instead it's become part of a less formal set of "magical girl series that did something unusual, but didn't follow MadoMagi's lineage", consisting of the more famous Nanoha and Mai-HiME and the lesser-known Uta~Kata and Umi Monogatari.

Then there are the three "shows that I picked up while hanging out with fourteenwings and Naas", which are Lagrange, Symphogear, and AKB0048.

Then there are the three "shows with double letters in their names", which is actually more specific than that, since both shows in it are some sort of darker, post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I say both because I can only remember two of them for some reason -- Arpeggio and Coppelion -- while I've never been able to figure out the third, despite it feeling like a trilogy.

And now there's a "knowingly generic battle school harem" set.

These "sets" are distinctive because I typically end up with each series sorta being its own thing.
    He plays Fritz something-or-other.
    follow MadoMagi's lineage
    None of those shows are post Madoka.
    He plays Fritz something-or-other.

Oh, that guy.

I wonder if he and Reitia's voice actors actually sang the 3rd ED.  Though TBH I didn't really enjoy that or the 2nd ED either.

follow MadoMagi's lineage
    None of those shows are post Madoka.

Well, yeah.  I mentioned that as why that set didn't include MadoMagi or YuYuYu, or Precure for that matter.
  • edited 2016-12-22 10:01:31
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I wonder if he and Reitia's voice actors actually sang the 3rd ED.
    If characters are listed as singing the ED, they are almost always the seiyuu singing the ED (the literally only three exceptions are Aikatsu!, Aikatsu Stars! and Macross).

I've been watching Shinsekai yori and [there were lots of words here but I've ripped them out]:

[11:55:00] Man Shinsekai yori was bad
    [11:55:01] like
    [11:55:02] bad
    [11:55:56] like...
    [11:56:05] Made me appreciate Matoi's existence bad
    [11:56:14] The one lesson I've taken away is that
    [11:56:27] somehow anime based on actual novels is way worse than anime based on light novels
  • edited 2016-12-27 06:14:39
    fourteenwing's 2016 Anime List

This isn't going to be a list of all my favorites, but just a cross-section of the stuff I really enjoyed and the stuff I thought deserved more attention than it got that I also happened to enjoy.

1. NORN9 : Norn+Nonet - Hands down my favorite anime of this year, and objectively the best otome game adaptation of modern times. By splitting the nine boys between three girls, they were allowed to be more unique since the object of their affection was also a unique character. Even the boys who were left over had a lot to do with the plot. Even though this ended up sounding more technical than I'd have liked, the plot was actually really good and it made thematic sense the whole way through.
    2. Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - My second favorite anime of this year, and another VN adaptation! This one greatly varied from the source material, which had a lot of fans (who have presumably definitely played the VN <_<) disappointed. But taken as a standalone product, it was a brilliant sports anime featuring a cast of girls who became friends in a natural and legitimate manner, set in a beautiful world (if you can forgive GONZO for the CGI).
    3. Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku - I haven't had a lot of time to think this show over since it ended, so I'm not sure if at another time I'd place it before AoKana, but it was a really wonderful take on the death game. It not only took itself as seriously as it should have, but it never gave in to the despair that is so common with these sort of shows by having almost all the characters try their darndest to survive. I also found it really intriguing that a running theme throughout all the girl's stories was how the society around them had hurt them specifically because they were born girls, which seemed to feed the allegory that real life is a brutal competition for girls in any society for similarly arbitrary reasoning.
    4. Dimension W - I don't know exactly what led me to watch this, nor why I stuck with it, but I ended up really enjoying it. The characters, aside from the main character, started off very shallow, but slowly rounded themselves out. Not into "characters", but into enjoyable facsimiles. The final arc really brought everything together. There was adventure without overwrought danger, determination without the "look how cool this character is just for having determination" and a real attempt at working together by (wait for it) a rag-tag bunch of misfits. The worlds workings were also (surprisingly enough) a real draw. And the main character was over thirty! In anime!
    5. Seisen Cerberus : Ryuukoku no Fatalite - I knew I wanted to finish this from the start, but what I didn't expect was a competent plot, an original (ish) concept for the main character, comedy that worked, characters that meshed, fun moments that actually were fun and ... basically everything went right for this show and I was beyond surprised. The ending is even based on a fun, novel concept. It's not exactly the most memorable anime of all time, but it is genuinely memorable.
    Ange Vierge ended up being really enjoyable. I have no idea why I dropped it in the first place since I even finished Qualidea Code in summer and that was really bad.
  • edited 2017-01-05 06:30:06
    I watched a few more episodes of Cross Ange.

1. I keep on being left with more questions than answers.  (In a good way.)

2. Well, that sounded like the La-Mulana "Mr. Explorer" mix / techno remix of the Endless Song, thrown in with something else.  I should not be surprised because I already know it happened in Symphogear, albeit the two songs weren't layered together officially.
  • edited 2017-01-05 15:28:27
    I started watching the original Fate/stay night, and if this were my first experience with the series I'd have probably dropped it by now. In fact I still sort of feel like dropping it. I expend a lot of goodwill and forgiveness towards anime that can sometimes have backward opinions on stuff, but Shirou has really pushed me with his "I have to protect you because you're girls!"/"I can't believe you just attacked a girl! Not a person but a girl!"/"To me Rin is a girl before she's a human being!". It's ridiculously uncomfortable and I know it's supposed to be seen as noble and I just hate that and it makes me not want to watch it.

I might have been more forgiving if this was made sooner, because 2006 also brought us Eureka Seven and even though that would have appeared at first glance to play into all the stereotypes it made teenage Eureka acting a mother and a mecha pilot work to a ridiculous degree.

Then there's the fact that as an adaptation it's kind of just mediocre, Shinji is even more the worst than usual and then there's Shirou just believing whatever nonsense Shinji says because he's an idiot.

Also Taiga just needs to stop talking.
    I started watching the original Fate/stay night, and if this were my first experience with the series I'd have probably dropped it by now. In fact I still sort of feel like dropping it. I expend a lot of goodwill and forgiveness towards anime that can sometimes have backward opinions on stuff, but Shirou has really pushed me with his "I have to protect you because you're girls!"/"I can't believe you just attacked a girl! Not a person but a girl!"/"To me Rin is a girl before she's a human being!". It's ridiculously uncomfortable and I know it's supposed to be seen as noble and I just hate that and it makes me not want to watch it.

I'd thought of watching it.
    I guess I might as well take it back off my to-watch list.

I added it to my to-watch list hearing that Saber is a great character.

I wonder if I should drop it again.
  • edited 2017-01-06 05:04:20
    Saber is a great character.
    It seems the Fate/ route is entirely "Shirou and Saber are idiots who only survive because Rin and Archer do stuff or something really stupid happens."

The UBW anime was really good though.
    Chakuro is the 14-year-old archivist of the Mud Whale, a nigh-utopian
    island that floats across the surface of an endless sea of sand. Nine in
    ten of the inhabitants of the Mud Whale have been blessed and cursed
    with the ability to use saimia, special powers that doom them to an
    early death.
    I'd totally watch this if this weren't also the plot of Shinsekai yori (and for some reason it reminds me of Gargantia too).
    :( Elsword episode 2 isn't out yet
    This cour is really weird for me. On one hand I'm really enjoying ACCA, Tales of Zestiria and (of course) Aikatsu Stars!. Otherwise nothing is really sticking with me. Even MARGINAL#4 feels like a chore.
    I just watched an OVA called Grandeek, which is based on a manga from the late 90s about a girl who has a magical elemental sword and her adventures. The OVA is based on one specific arc, and I was really impressed with it the whole time. There were nice stylistic choices, a good plot, a ridiculously fun villain and a female protagonist who Legitimately Got Stuff Done, despite her emotions still being in the forefront (which is usually presented as a dichotomy).

For 45 minutes obviously there was not really any character development, but everybody really played their roles in the story in an amazing way and everybody got their moment to shine (particularly the clever gambit the possessed fiance pulls at the end and how that turns out). I was sort of confused as to how the two protagonists never meet during the OVA, but I really liked how that turned out in the end.

But seriously though, for something that randomly came up on MAL yesterday I didn't expect it to be that great.

Faith in animu restored.
    And it's even one that's just got a 5.89 on MAL.  That means I have to watch it.

You just convinced me to add both it and its manga to my plan-to-whatever lists.
  • edited 2017-01-22 10:07:05
    Just finished watching Absolute Duo.

Actually Pretty Good, in my opinion.

Started off comparing it to Hundred far too often.  Well, they certainly diverged.  I'd say this was noticeably more satisfying.