If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2016-10-25 13:45:43
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I hope starting to prepare for Kira Kira PreCure A La Mode today means I'll actually manage to watch more than four episodes of it.

Strangely enough that sounds like a sequel name...

because it was for Tokyo Mew Mew :|
  • edited 2016-10-29 05:37:18
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Nozomi Kaminashi is a fantastic gymnast, and
    in order to help her family out of poverty, has decided instead to
    become a competitor in a new women-only sport, Keijo. A lucrative
    endeavor, Keijo is a popular gambling sport where female players stand
    on floating platform on the water and must push other players off by
    only using breasts and buttocks. Will Nozomi be able to make it big in
    the world of Keijo?

This is...just...stupid.

Incidentally I was watching Come Home Love: Dinner at 8, a Hong Kong sitcom, and there's an episode (around 60 or so) wherein one of the assistants, subbing in for a director he doesn't normally serve, ends leaving him again after the two find that their styles don't match at all.  The director complains that the assistant is a workaholic while the ambitious assistant finds that that director offers no learning opportunities because all he does is film scantily-clad girls doing scantily-clad things, and he practically makes no secret at all that he's a giant lech, literally ordering his assistant (and doing so very impatiently) to get out of the way of his line of sight from a poolside deck chair to bikini-wearing girls splashing water at each other.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Luck & Logic was... much worse than I remembered, and it wasn't even pretty initally.
  • Princess Tutu is most wonderful.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I attempted to watch a second episode of Absolute Duo.

The attempt failed about eight minutes in.
  • edited 2016-11-02 04:09:25
    I tried again.  This time I got to the end.

The music is good, but the way it's setting up the premise...ugh...

I mean, I can't help but conclude that this girl Julie has issues.

Irony though is, simply from watching this, I feel like I at least care a bit more about what happens to the characters.  Often, I think, that's what drives me to keep on watching.
    > The Irregular at Magic High School

Yes or no, and how much yes/no?
  • edited 2016-11-05 07:07:37
    BECAUSE I'M BORED

http://anichart.net/winter

ACCA Jusan-Ku Kansatsu-Ka
    just looking at the picture and title: huh?
    after reading the description: huh?

AKIBA'S TRIP: THE ANIMATION
    just looking at the picture and title: Wait, I know that title, it's that XSEED game that I won't ever play.  Well, actually, the other one, since the first one is Senran Kagura.  Who knows, I might check this out to see how bad it is if I'm bored one day.
    after reading the description: I don't feel like read--okay, fine.  The description makes it sound better than my usual opinion of it, in that it actually sounds kinda interesting, despite my having little personal interest in Akihabara.

Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen
    just looking at the picture and title: ehh, it's okay
    after reading the description: meh

BanG Dream!
    just looking at the picture and title: looks like a fourteenwings series
    after reading the description: so are these characters actually real people with real live concerts?  it's not clear.  though i guess hologram concerts are also possible lol

Chaos;Child
    just looking at the picture and title: oh hey look it's another something;somethingelse series.  i have yet to get to Steins;Gate.
    after reading the description: looks like a mystery thing.  needs to be well-written to be really my taste.

Chiruran: Nibun no Ichi
    just looking at the picture and title: is this some kids action thing?
    after reading the description: it's a spinoff.  moving on...

Demi-chan wa Kataritai
    just looking at the picture and title: this is a wholly uninformative title and picture.
    after reading the description: if this is gentle thoughtful slice-of-life it could explore such themes as racism and discrimination.  if it's just slapstick comedy for the heck of it then no.

Gabriel Dropout
    just looking at the picture and title: okay, i guess?
    after reading the description: huh???

GRANBLUE FANTASY The Animation
    just looking at the picture and title: Oh, I guess I can watch this instead of bothering with deciding whether to get the game.
    after reading the description: Oh, it's a cellphone game.  I guess I wasn't getting the game anyway.

Hand Shakers
    just looking at the picture and title: stupid title, another school series?
    after reading the description: so is this going to be a "rebellion against God" story (which would be interesting) or school battle harem story (which is more likely and far less interesting)?

Idol Jihen
    just looking at the picture and title: cute, I guess.  maybe another fourteenwings series
    after reading the description: that was very uninformative.

Kemono Friends
    just looking at the picture and title: I'm going to watch this only if it has to do with wildlife conservation.
    after reading the description: Well, that was a surprisingly non-offensive and actually kinda interesting description.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon
    just looking at the picture and title: My Little Maid Can't Be A Dragon!?  Well at least she seems to be sassing someone out.  Maids aren't usually my thing though.
    after reading the description: Actually kinda interesting.  Also the "normal person" is female so this won't be a dumb romance plot again.  Might actually want to watch it.  Also want to see the dragon-girl sass the fuck out of things.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2
    just looking at the picture and title: Well I already decided I wasn't interested in seeing the first KonoSuba.
    after reading the description: (no change)

Kuzu no Honkai
    just looking at the picture and title: Not particularly informative.  Colorful though.
    after reading the description: Intriguing.

Little Witch Academia (TV)
    just looking at the picture and title: There was an OVA of this earlier, right?  I'll get around to it at some point.  Would be a smaller commitment than the TV series.

Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang
    just looking at the picture and title: a cute guys series.  Probably not my thing?
    after reading the description: There is no description!

Masamune-kun no Revenge
    just looking at the picture and title: It looks reminiscent of My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute.
    after reading the description: romcom.

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-Bu
    just looking at the picture and title: I'm not sure what to make of it.  Vaguely similar to Taishou Baseball Girls?
    after reading the description: It's about bicycling.

Onihei
    just looking at the picture and title: Japanese historical fiction?
    after reading the description: Japanese historical fiction.

Piace: Watashi no Italian
    just looking at the picture and title: cute cooking series.  Makes me think of Yumemi no Patissierie(sp?)
    after reading the description: Like that series, it could be interesting.

Reikenzan: Eichi e no Shikaku
    just looking at the picture and title: Japanese historical fiction?
    after reading the description: probably Japanese historical fiction?

Rewrite / 2nd Season Moon-Hen/Terra-Hen
    just looking at the picture and title: I'll start with the first one, thanks.

Seiren
    just looking at the picture and title: Six girls in Japanese school uniforms.  That's all the information I have.
    after reading the description: A thoroughly uninformative description.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
    just looking at the picture and title: a deer with no eyes.
    after reading the description: a deer with no eyes who is motionless.

SUPER LOVERS 2
    just looking at the picture and title: yaoi I guess

Urara Meirochou
    just looking at the picture and title: it's colorful, but very Japanese.
    after reading the description: a fortune-teller's life story, i guess?

Yowamushi Pedal: NEW GENERATION
    just looking at the picture and title: that first series about bicycling

ēlDLIVE
    just looking at the picture and title: weird name, attractively colorful cover.
    after reading the description: wut, whatever

And since I haven't seen anything this fall, fall leftovers:

3-gatsu no Lion
    just looking at the picture and title: no idea
    after reading the description: The one way this thing could potentially be my liking is that "drama" tag.

ALL OUT!!
    just looking at the picture and title: rugby?
    after reading the description: yeah, rugby.

Kidou Senshi Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans 2
    just looking at the picture and title: I've got another Gundam series on tap that I'm more inclined to watch anyway.

Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON
    just looking at the picture and title: I'm not particularly interested in the Monster Hunter series, and the pic, while kinda cool, doesn't particularly pique my interest.
    after reading the description: shounen achievement series I guess?

Pokémon Generations
    just looking at the picture and title: Wait, it's called this name this time?
    after reading the description: Oh, this is the little recap eps!  I'll watch them for Kanto and after I'm done with my game of Crystal I'll watch them for Johto.  Not going further though.

Tiger Mask W
    just looking at the picture and title: huh?
    after reading the description: huh?

TRICKSTER: Edogawa Rampo "Shounen Tantei-dan" yori
    just looking at the picture and title: possibly cool?
    after reading the description: looks like a setup for a mystery drama.

Yasamura Yasashi no Yasashii Seikai
    just looking at the picture and title: is this set in Roman times or something?
    after reading the description: so basically he's Jesus.

Conclusion:

interested in: Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon
    might check out briefly: GRANBLUE FANTASY The Animation
    outside chance: Kemono Friends, 3-gatsu no Lion, Demi-chan wa Kataritai
    partial: Pokémon Generations
  • edited 2016-11-05 16:03:44
    Unless you'd enjoy a manual on how magic guns work, no.

Anyways thank you for kicking me whilst I'm down GMH ;-;

looks like a fourteenwings series

I think you mean DYRE, I didn't even like K-On! that much.

Marginal#4 KISS Kara Tsukuru Big Bang
    just looking at the picture and title: a cute guys series.  Probably not my thing?
    after reading the description: There is no description!

I'm actually kind of surprised that they're animating MARGINAL#4 since it's a game where you as the manager of this idol group use your position of power to seduce high-school boys and the happy endings are the ones where you get them to keep your completely inappropriate relationships a secret.

Then again, SUPER LOVERS...
  • > The Irregular at Magic High School

It's definitely very bad, so no don't watch it, but that apparently doesn't stop you.

It apparently doesn't stop me either.

Basically, it's the usual thing where everything that happens is basically an extended excuse to have the main character look cool by virtue of being better than everyone at everything and all girls loving him even though he literally, canonically, doesn't have a personailty. It doesn't really even do this very well because most of the show is spent on, as 14w said, explaining irrelevant details of how magic guns work and action scenes are weirdly infrequent.

It starts off suggesting that there's some sort of class conflict where people are divided based on magic ability, etc., but this actually almost never comes up at all and when it does it's portrayed as "well maybe it's not so bad maybe those people really are just worse than everyone" or "no you're just imagining things nobody is discriminating against you" or "everyone just doesn't recognize how much of a genius MC is even though everyone is constantly and explicitly praising him for being a genius" despite all three of these things being completely contradictory.

MC's interactions with his sister are really creepy and not even in normal anime creepy way like I mean, these two characters would be spooky evil twins or something if they were in any other anime and yet here they are the protagonists. Canonical explanation is supposed to be that MC doesn't have emotions except affection for sister for some reason, but no such explanation is given for sister acting like she does so it just comes across as really weird.

For positives, the OST is pretty good. This is kind of it for good things though.

I initially liked watching it just because it's very slow-paced to the point of being extremely boring so much so that it maybe ends up around "relaxing", and the occasional bits of "wait this is actually horrible what am I even watching" keep things interesting enough if definitely not for the right reasons.

Or, basically, I feel like it's bad but in a way that feels a bit different from usual LN badness and makes it seem a bit more interesting to watch.
  • Granblue Fantasy has a browser version, though I don't know how that compares to the phone one.
    Little Witch Academia had two OVAs, actually. I think the second one might have been longer.
  • edited 2016-11-05 23:00:09
    Anyways thank you for kicking me whilst I'm down GMH ;-;

Are you talking about me posting a winter anime season reactions post before you?  Because you don't have to worry; I'm still not going to actually go watch these things as they air anyway.

looks like a fourteenwings series

I think you mean DYRE, I didn't even like K-On! that much.

The cutesiness seems to be along the lines of something you'd like, but I guess it also has to go with J-pop as opposed to rock.

Naas_Human wrote: »
    Granblue Fantasy has a browser version, though I don't know how that compares to the phone one.
    Little Witch Academia had two OVAs, actually. I think the second one might have been longer.

Huh, I thought it was a game on Steam.  I was probably confusing it with Code of Princess and Dragon's Crown.
    Are you talking about me posting a winter anime season reactions post before you?
    Well:
    • I don't really want to watch anything in Winter that much aside from maybe Piacevole!/Piace
    • I'm in study-mode right now so I'm not really paying attention to recent developments in anime
    Apparently the MARGINAL#4 anime will not be adapting the PSVita game, or be a reverse harem at all.

I am so ridiculously excited right now.
  • edited 2016-11-15 04:32:39
    I have a feeling that I'm not going to drop Absolute Duo at this point.  I'm sufficiently interested in the setting that the elements of the show that annoy me (i.e. the fanservice, as well as the wordiness to a lesser extent) are outweighed by it.

Also, it's rather interesting that, outside of and before watching this show, I can/could say that Yulie is Obvious Waifu Bait, but once I actually get into watching it, I find her to be a reasonably interesting character.

Meanwhile, the fact that this show says "Blaze On!" to activate powers and the fact that Hundred characters say "Hundred On!" to activate their powers -- this similarity -- is something I noticed.  I've accidentally run the two shows together in my head a few times already, confusing plot details of one for the other.  They share far more than just this similarity, of course.  I wonder if I might have more fun with this confusion if I keep on interspersing their episodes.
  • I thought "X on!" was mildly common due to either The Human Torch or Kikaider.
  • edited 2016-11-15 04:51:44
    Go Go Gadget Activation Catchphrase!
    That is literally PreCure 5.
    I just watched episode 9 of Cross Ange.

It seems, at least on MAL, that opinions on this show are strongly divided.
    I think it's hard to find a show where popular opinion sways exactly one way.

And just so I never forget: Izetta is the anime where Laala and Shirayuki save not-Germany, and I'm not even considering watching it.
  • edited 2016-11-20 19:28:20
    Well in this case it seems to have become a love-it-or-hate-it thing.

Which is "in-character" in a way, as the show is intensely political (albeit in-universe).

I wonder if opinions on Kiddy Grade evolved in a similar way.
  • edited 2016-11-24 14:24:46

:(

Oh wow, I didn't know they did both Stratos 4 and Strain.  And mentioning Stratos 4 reminds me that Ritsuko Okazaki is no longer with us either, so...

:( :(

Maybe I should have picked up the DVD set for Strain when I ran across it years ago.  Then again I'm not sure what difference it would have made...
    I hadn't revisited Rocket Girls in a while, and most of the time when I rec it I think of it as a comedy.  But I really neglected to mention its inspirational and dramatic elements, which are a big part of what takes it beyond just simple comedy.

This video puts them on display.  Possible spoilers for people who haven't seen it.  If you haven't, I strongly recommend it.

Apparently Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon is going to be animated by KyoAni.

And it looks good actually.

Hmm.
  • edited 2016-11-26 13:47:00
    Fuka
    It so annoys me how magical girl transformation sequences still suffer from poor use of screen space.
    How else are you supposed to know that magical powers involve a lot of swirly things?

This is weird to say but the best transformation sequences I've seen as of late are probably Vividred Operation's, but they used CG to cheat the budget constraints.

One thing that really bugs me about transformation sequences is the sort that start from your base outfit (this is one area I'd never give Pleiades a pass on because it always looked like they'd just been wearing a secretly rolled up version of their magical girl outfit as their school uniform).
  • This happens regardless of the style of background, though.
    kyoko
  • edited 2016-11-27 15:14:22
    Well, magical "x-ey" things then.

Yume from Aikatsu Stars! mostly avoids this.

The others mostly go with it.