If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General politics thread (was: General U.S. politics thread)

Comments

• For those of you lucky enough to live in a state that figured out it's at least the 20th century and have mail-in voting, remember that this late you want to drop your ballots off at a physical ballot box instead of mailing it in.  The postmark doesn't count -- it has to be in a ballot box by the deadline.
  • Fulfilling your civic duties feels good.
    mail-in voting
    Eew, opacity.
  • Voted straight Democrat. No on Amendment 1. Voted against the Trump state judges.

And yes, I voted Murphy and Hillary.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-11-08 18:19:10
    Fulfilling your civic duties feels good.
    mail-in voting
    Eew, opacity.

I mean it's actually made things easier to track, if for no other reason than because it comes in over several weeks instead of overwhelming people all at once with no time to react if something goes wrong.  It lets us count and database things more efficiently (which in turn makes audits easier), and lets you track the status of your vote online several days in advance instead of only learning after the fact that your vote's been thrown out.  There are basically no opacity concerns that aren't shared by any system where your vote is counted by someone who is existentially not you.

And even if you don't trust the post office to get it there for whatever reason, you can always drive to city hall or the courthouse or wherever and drop it off yourself -- again, weeks in advance.  They even tell you to do this on the ballot if you're sending it off near the deadline.

We've had very broad bipartisan consensus, to a degree practically unheard of between both parties and independents, that it's improved things across the board.
  • edited 2016-11-08 20:02:35
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    You're in Oregon, right?  I know OR and WA both have vote-by-mail, as does CO I think?
  • Trump is leading in Florida, Ohio, and Virginia.

Oh god no.
  • ~shrug~ Please make good use of your new authority, Trump-senpai. Arigatou.
  • Looks like Trump will win.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Yup. The neoliberal project is dead. And identity politics won.
  • edited 2016-11-09 09:53:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ~shrug~ Please make good use of your new authority, Trump-senpai. Arigatou.

What would you want him to do? Does his win mean anything more than sticking it to people/things you don't like?
  • US, I am disappoint.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    y'know, just a few days ago, i watched RWBY volume 3.

i think i just watched its events analogized in real life.
    The last bit here, mainly.

Honestly, there's been a problem with political engagement in this country for a while now.

We as a nation built a system for managing our policymaking needs, that some might call "technocratic" or "bureaucratic".  We presumed that it would take care of everything.  But we're starting to discover that there's a disconnect between that and the presumption that we all have a say in how our country works.

This disconnect has turned politics from people trying to find ways to make things better, to politics being an ideological tug-of-war.

Now this might be true in limited ways for certain issues.  However, this perspective is incorrect for many issues, for which improving understanding and building coalitions is the actual way to get things done.  On the other hand, the mis-application of this perspective has allowed people with narrow interests to seek to fulfill those interests.  We may call them "special interest groups", "bigots", or whatever, but our disconnect from the issues we face has led us to believe in a politicization of the world around us -- the assumption that everything can be divided into interests upon which we are asked to align ourselves.

And when we see the world as divided between self-interested parties, we lost trust in the world around us and faith that the institutions that we have built will lead us wisely.

(copied from my own post on HH)
  • How is that similar to RWBY, though?
    The part about losing faith in our institutions, and ending up with negative results as a consequence. It's rather explicitly spelled out in RWBY, where the Grimm are creatures drawn to the emotion of despair, but this cause-and-effect actually exists though in a much more subtle way.
  • Well, at least Cinder isn't as horrific as Trump.

... oh god.
  • edited 2016-11-09 08:52:05
    I saw someone on another forum posting that the most worrying thing isn't Trump himself but how much this will help the worst people in the Republican party. Like Mike Pence.
  • For Glenn, have you heard "Divide" from RWBY?

It honestly sounds like Trump's theme song.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Mori America better hope he'll be gentle amirite
  • My net neutrality!

:_:
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I had a dream where I explained how Hillary Clinton was Ruler and Donald Trump was somehow Swim Swim last night.

Well I guess it was more a nightmare.

Well I guess life is more a nightmare now.

Just like... between this and Brexit, thank you Western world for your inspiring message about how the majority of people aren't okay with right-wing nationalists.
  • America showed the world what it really is.
  • The relevant TVT thread is more calm than I expected, though you still get lots of let's-rise-up-in-arms-against-literally-Hitler posts.

At any rate:
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    It's darkly ironic that the demographic that professes to hate Jewish people voted for what is basically a personification of what they think Jews are: a gaudy, self-flattering narcissist who scams in his finances, lusts after daughters and spouts the most bizarre pilpul. 
  • What would you want him to do? Does his win mean anything more than sticking it to people/things you don't like?

No... but he does have a chance to fight the post-9/11 fascist hegemony and I hope he makes good use of it. Trump could stop the wars and poverty and earn us back our respect in the world as well as make us a happier population. I'm going to be optimistic. And I'm *not* going to Canada again, that's for damn sure.
  • edited 2016-11-09 19:11:04
    The Republican party has even more control than it used to. The establishment isn't going away, and it doesn't look like the U.S. is somehow more likely to pull out from armed conflicts.

As for poverty in particular, I've heard that a good deal of Trump's support has been from small town communities left in bad shape because the main things they relied on turned out to be less reliable. That doesn't seem to be the kind of thing any President could fix with how widespread it is.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    @ Storm: Actually my favourite TVT thread right now is the Russia thread, where the resident Putinist and resident troll struggle to repel all the folks talking about Russia manipulating elections in the US (and other countries too).
  • I'm not sure whether to be surprised that there's a resident Putinist or that there's only one.