If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General politics thread (was: General U.S. politics thread)

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Apparently the temperature is below freezing at Standing Rock and 160+ people have been injured after water cannons (and tear gas, rubber bullets, etc.) were used on protesters.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
  • edited 2016-11-22 06:57:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Potentially important court ruling regarding gerrymandering.

TL;DR:
    Supreme Court previously ruled against an argument regarding opposing gerrymandering because there wasn't a workable way to determine it, but now a lower court has accepted an impartial statistical method to determine the "efficiency" of voter distribution.
  • edited 2016-11-22 15:13:32
    Meet Oscar Braynon, the Florida Senate minority leader. He represents Miami Gardens, where I live. He's not impressed by the Florida Republicans, who are now led by House Speaker and potential governor Richard Corcoran, a Trump Republican.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/oscar-braynon-has-some-thoughts-for-richard-corcoran-on-the-new-house-rules/2303726
  • edited 2016-11-22 17:29:07
    Multimillionaire Orlando trial lawyer John Morgan, who helped legalize medical Marijuana in Florida, is considering running for Governor in 2018, presumably as a Democrat.

Some of his policies include decriminalizing marijuana; automatically restoring the voting rights of non-violent felons who have served out their terms; raising the minimum wage to $15; and abolishing jobs like lieutenant governor and agriculture commissioner.

The interesting thing is that Morgan supported Hillary, but warned she would lose because she let Trump take the populist role. I think Morgan is winning me over for Governor.
    What would abolishing LG and Ag Commish accomplish?

----

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/11/22/1602733/-How-Pat-McCrory-is-preparing-to-ask-North-Carolina-s-GOP-legislature-to-steal-the-election-for-him
    This is why we should always pay attention to local/state elections and politics.  Note the details about stuff that's happened before.  I remember reading about that tiebreaker betrayal myself.

----

Can't help but imagine someone in "coal country" thinking that this just "confirms" that Hillary Clinton was allied with big banks and they're both trying to kill the coal industry (despite the big chart largely showing the opposite).

We really need to do better with giving an economic way forward from coal -- not just users of coal but producers as well.  Same goes with the other fossil fuels.
  • edited 2016-11-22 18:59:38
    He thinks both posts are fairly useless when the agriculture commissioner can have its duties transferred to our other state agencies, and the lieutenant governor can be replaced by the secretary of state (see Oregon).

Morgan also took part in raising the minimum wage back in 2004. He's a well known liberal donor and fundraiser. I balk at the idea of another multimillionaire governor given Rick Scott, but Morgan so far seems populist enough that I would vote for him in the general if he wins.
    He could certainly sell cutting the LG position as a way of making the state government more cost-efficient if that's what he's going to run on.

Of course, two years is a lifetime in politics, so we'll see how things play out.
  • edited 2016-11-22 19:09:57
    And of course, the lieutenant governor and agriculture commissioner are both Republican held roles. Removing both is a net loss for the Florida GOP.

The other potential Democratic candidates for governor are Gwen Graham, Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn, Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer, Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jack Seiler, state senator Jeremy Ring, and Miami Beach mayor Philip Levine.
  • edited 2016-11-23 22:30:58
    Jill Stein is now seeking recounts and inquiries into voting irregularities in the presidential elections in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Well, now there's one more thing I support her on.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-11-24 09:33:20
    It's basically spot on...almost.

While Republican policy devastates pretty much everyone as he said, he also makes the claim that Democrat policy is the only thing that can help -- but it tends to fuck over rural areas worse than Republican policy does (or at least more immediately).  Party policy is rarely sensitive to areas any more granular than states, if that.  Minimum wage raises are not only not needed all that much in areas with low costs of living but can indeed be deleterious to what little business remains.  Democrats tend to displace large key markets like timber and coal -- things that need to be displaced, but also comprise the backbone of entire communities.  The markets that spring up to replace them are never in the area that felt the loss.  Usually the replacement market is in the city if not outsourced entirely.

When rural Republicans say government doesn't work, they are indeed ignoring the massive subsidies they get, and a good part of it comes from straight-up egotism that's been fostered by an incredibly insular worldview.  That stuff is incredibly toxic and cannot be beyond recognizance or harsh criticism.  But they're also being validated every time stuff like the above happens.

So basically, a) yes he's right, b) his side hasn't helped matters, and c) and the blame is nowhere near equivalent and still leaning mostly towards a).
    Because I need an excuse to shitpost it's Conspiracy Theory Friday, because it's Black Friday and that clearly refers to black helicopters.

"Make America Great Again" is abbreviated as "MAGA".

"maga" is a
    Latin word meaning "witch".  It's also the word used in the Madoka
    Magica soundtrack's track names (which are all in Latin) to refer to
    witches.

Witches in Madoka Magica are strongly associated with despair.  They can be born from despair and they also spread despair.

Social and economic despair drives anti-establishment political preferences.

Hmm... :P
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    The blog itself is amusing in a sort of painful way.

Re:comments; Cost-benefit wise, is the 5 seconds it'd take to type actual words worth the complete ??? the phrase "beta manlet" causes in 99% of everybody?

I didn't even know you could help White Nationalism return to it's rightful place and then leave amicably to live in a Jewish ethnostate (but he's somehow against Israel? #_#).
  • edited 2016-11-25 20:10:58
    Meantime, I can't help but feel a few parallels between the first episode of Cross Ange and the 2016 US presidential election, especially the way it just runs into an unexpected twist, and that feeling of severe shock that accompanies the ending theme "Rinrei".

(I haven't watched past episode 9 so I can't say how the show will end...much less how the course of history will run, of course.)

Fun fact:

Rinrei's first verse starts rather lyrically, but gives way to a more troubled and passionate refrain.  You don't hear the rest of the song (aside from the also-lyrical and re-calming outtro) in the show's ending theme, but if you listen to the whole song, the second verse/refrain pair sounds far darker, more brutal, and enraged, due to a dramatically different instrumentation, despite carrying the same melody.
  • edited 2016-11-27 06:38:07
    You're looking at a lot of parallels between this election and anime :P
  • edited 2016-11-27 20:13:33
    https://www.amazon.com/Trump-America-Great-Collectible-Ornament/product-reviews/B01N67D8HO/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

LOL

Serocco wrote: »

It's more fun that way :P
    And honestly, life itself is a story.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Donald promised to make anime real, and he delivers.
  • edited 2016-11-28 20:28:42
    Region/county-based analysis of the 2016 presidential election results in the state of Florida.  http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/11/28/1604670/-What-Happened-in-Florida

TL;DR
    Clinton campaign overperformed Obama 2012 numbers in core population centers -- such as southeast Florida, the I-4 corridor, Duval County, etc..  However, Trump campaign overperformed Romney 2012 by an unexpectedly large amount in a several north-central-western counties with a large number of retirees, while generally also improving in rural counties.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    What's with the sudden surveillance thing (on both sides of the pond). Did they think everybody would be too distracted by the US Elections to notice?
  • edited 2016-11-30 19:18:35
    Fascinating developments out of the Florida Senate.

The new state Senate President is Republican Joe Negron, a supporter of medical Marijuana and conservation efforts. Negron put Democrats in charge of criminal justice, collective bargaining, domestic security, veterans affairs, and environmental preservation. http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2016/11/negrons-committee-chairs-outline-chambers-new-power-structure-107696

He's a known enemy of the insurance industry. While he was the Senate budget chairman, Negron tried to eliminate a tax benefit to insurance companies. A lobbyist even said "the whole committee is terrible for us," referring to the Senate Health Policy Committee that he stacked with similar anti-insurance industry state Senators. http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2016/11/flores-leads-the-charge-on-iinsurance-health-care-in-the-senate-107700

Given the looming threat of Trump destroying the ACA, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, I think it's in my state's best interest to put single payer healthcare on the ballot by 2020 like Colorado.
  • People are trying to push 37 year old African American Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum (Democrat) to run for Florida Governor in 2018. If so, he is likely to face fellow mayors Bob Buckhorn and Phillip Levine, along with Rep. Gwen Graham and billionaire John Morgan should they all run.

Gillum was the first North Florida public official to allow gays to marry in his cities when other counties refused to issue same sex marriage licenses. He criticized Rick Scott's refusal to accept Syrian refugees. Hillary Clinton actually briefly considered Gillum to be her running mate at one point.
    Naas_Human wrote: »

In a way, Trump would be the first president who'd be a Shitposter-in-Chief.

Serocco wrote: »
    Fascinating developments out of the Florida Senate.

The new state Senate President is Republican Joe Negron, a supporter of medical Marijuana and conservation efforts. Negron put Democrats in charge of criminal justice, collective bargaining, domestic security, veterans affairs, and environmental preservation. http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2016/11/negrons-committee-chairs-outline-chambers-new-power-structure-107696

He's a known enemy of the insurance industry. While he was the Senate budget chairman, Negron tried to eliminate a tax benefit to insurance companies. A lobbyist even said "the whole committee is terrible for us," referring to the Senate Health Policy Committee that he stacked with similar anti-insurance industry state Senators. http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2016/11/flores-leads-the-charge-on-iinsurance-health-care-in-the-senate-107700

Given the looming threat of Trump destroying the ACA, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, I think it's in my state's best interest to put single payer healthcare on the ballot by 2020 like Colorado.

Hey, I remember Joe Negron!  He ran against Tim Mahoney to replace Mark Foley.  Even had the slogan "Punch Foley for Negron".

I guess Negron's not as bad as his party label suggests, even if still disagreeable on some other issues.  And I agree with putting single-payer on the ballot.  How does one go about doing that in Florida?
  • edited 2016-12-01 06:48:22
    "Punch Foley for Negron"? Only in Florida.

All I know is that a single ballot measure needs almost 700,000 signatures before it gets on the ballot.
    If they're circulating petitions, let me know.

Also, "Punch Foley for Negron" was because they couldn't get Mark Foley's name off the ballot.
  • edited 2016-12-01 13:11:52
    They're trying to do that right now for recreational Marijuana and restoring voting rights to felons in 2018.

Also, STILL only in Florida :P
    If you insist, but do you know the stories of Frank Powers the elder and rank powers the younger, or perhaps Dede Scozzafava and Doug Hoffman?
  • I do not. This sounds like it's gonna be insane