If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2015-11-29 23:08:59
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    This is a trainwreck.  However, it's certainly an unusual and notable trainwreck.

See, the most sad thing about this, in my opinion, is that this person actually took the time to make all the animations and hitboxes and attack patterns and all.  (Assuming they weren't out-of-the-box stuff of course.)

On the other hand, the developer certainly did not do it well at all.  No sense of aesthetic coherence (or aesthetics in general) at all, in what clearly is just a fan-game slapped together for the sake of starring all the dev's favorite characters.  The hitboxes are unclear, too.  Contrast between background and foreground is...something the developer does not understand.

No sense of narrative either for that matter.  Even Mega Man has feeling of progression from start to finish, also a difficulty curve in the level design, and something that isn't the same platforming action time and time again.

And then there's the use of all the copyrighted assets.  As much of a trainwreck as this is, I'd still argue that it has the right to exist, but obviously it's not going to be much of a thing.  I guess I could see this working out on someone's geocities-esque homepage somewhere.  Even releasing it for free is a stretch on Steam.

There's one fangame that's on Steam, and it's also free.  It's Eternal Senia, and it basically uses expies of a couple Ragnarok Online characters.*  But it's got far, far better polish.  It's actually an interesting game in its own right rather than something that exists just to cameo a bunch of one's favorite characters.

FYI, I was aware of this before running into Jimquisition's video on it just now.  I've actually seen other people playing this.  So, no, I'm not being biased in favor of Jimquisition or anything.

* Edit: Clarification: More accurately, it just uses the character designs of two RO characters.  Their personalities are apparently very different in Eternal Senia, as in they're like entirely different people.
  • Oh my God, I remember when this idiot was on the Fortune Summoners forums asking for the game's spritesheets.
  • Boy, that is literally painful to watch. Should've stolen some decent backgrounds as well.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭

I want games like pokemon that aren't Pokémon.

because shit like this is dumb. Like, acquire the dudes, raise your dudes to be awesome, then use your dudes against other dude's dudes.

• edited 2015-11-30 06:30:39
    Vorpy wrote: »

I want games like pokemon that aren't Pokémon.

I've heard that 200% Mixed Juice is kinda like Pokémon.  I haven't played it though.

(Though I've also heard that you have to be semi-familiar with Orange_Juice lore (or 100% Orange Juice at least) to get half the jokes.)

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    @Vorpy

Perhaps try Fire Emblem? 
  • Depending on how new the game has to be: Jade Cocoon and Monster Rancher.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Game consoles fight Wreck-it Ralph in a zombie game.

Also, Neptune's gun is an electric guitar.
  • edited 2015-12-05 12:06:21
    Y'know, if not for my being poor and/or incredibly cheap (both of which I am), I would probably be readily throwing money at a Wii U, a DS, and a Vita or PSTV.

It's just that I'm afraid I can't get the games I want for $5 or less apiece and I'm not ready to shell out big bucks for a game system when I already have one (a Windows PC).
  • edited 2015-12-05 13:54:47
    There's a new implementation of Minesweeper on Steam now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/367000/

Here's a little oddity though:

Please note: Fine Sweeper won’t guarantee guessing-free
    boards, there’s always an element of luck involved to progress
    (especially on higher levels), still your first click remains always
    safe.

How is it that hard to remove guessing, when Mines-Perfect has already done so, and can literally tell you when you're down to a guess and also guarantee that you'll be safe when you do guess by a combination of its settings.  (I think it's "Immune", which I often combine with "Murphy's Law" so I know when I still can logic my way through it.)

I don't mean to belittle the efforts of the devs of Fine Sweeper, but I'd personally recommend Mines-Perfect for anyone looking for a better Minesweeper.

That said, Fine Sweeper does make everything look more cool I guess.  And given the way it's described (extra lives, being less hard on mistakes, and general interface look-nice-ness) I think it appeals to a more casual crowd than I have in mind.
    Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition -90% on GOG today -- just $1.49!

https://www.gog.com/game/guacamelee_super_turbo_championship_edition
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-06 00:41:39
    dear switch axe idiots

please don't use infinite combo when there are other people around

we would literally be doing more damage if you weren't here

EDIT: Teostra is basically "if a Rathalos was actually fun to fight".
    dear non switch axe idiots

please don't be around during the optimal moment for my infinite combo

we would literally be doing more damage if you didn't get in my way

also see: longsword

peace out
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-06 08:45:22
    If it was a Gravios or something fucking huge with enough room for me and the three faceroll switch axers to whack away at will, I'd have picked a different spot.  This was a Khezu and I think someone had Weakener up.  One guy ran into the crook of its wing and his swing arc took up the whole fucking hitbox and knocked away all three of the rest of us until it got up.

And like, it's invariably switch axers that do this.  I wasn't even that prone to smacking around party members when I was running gunlance.

At least it's not as bad as the time a heavy bowgunner stunlocked the entire party with crouching fire pellet shot while the monster got up and counterattacked all of us with Dragonblight.
    It's always someone. SA, LS, pellet shot, fuckin' hammerspin

I'll admit to being pretty shameless with Long Sword at times. It really is a weapon that needs room to work sometimes, and it's the weapon that can least afford to take time off. The way it interacts with damage calculations also means that getting to red gauge, then using Spirit Blade with the Fade Slash as resets is optimal for stupid good damage output. Some people say MH4 nerfed Long Sword; most simply haven't adapted to the new way it deals its silly high damage. 

Then again, I'm the one who micromanages my friends when we play, so I guess I'm just an asshole hunter. :B
  • edited 2015-12-06 09:26:47
    So I managed to get my hands on a copy of a game called Rockmen R.  It's a Mega Man fangame starring Roll as the main character.  It's probably most famous for that, and the fact that Capcom C&D'd it.

Well, first of all, my system region isn't configured to use it right so the text appears as gibberish.  Second, I have to rebind the keys every time I start the game, since the default is Z = shoot, X = jump, C = menu, which basically means jump on my left index and shoot on my left middle while I normally do jump on my left middle and shoot on my left index.  Navigating menus is a bit weird, and that includes the controls menu and the pause menu (you don't just highlight the weapon then unpause; you have to highlight it, select it, then unpause).

But most importantly of all, this game's difficulty is annoying.  It's not really fair difficulty as much as it is annoying difficulty.  There is no difficulty curve -- the game just throws unintuitive traps at you, so it's basically know the stage, or die learning it, over and over again.  Furthermore, your regular shot is really small, and your character stands too tall, so you can't even hit mettools with your reguar shot -- charge shot only.

The action has custom and more detailed spritework than a regular Mega Man game, but all that actually means is that the designer forgot to make proper cues like bubble bats opening their wings rather than simply going from hanging to flying instantaneously.

The game looks nice.  It also seems to have decent music.  And better sound effects than Mega Man 7's at least.  But, honestly, I don't really want to play this.  It's a tedious chore to get through the levels.

(Is this the real reason why Capcom C&D'd it?  Because it's just...well, bad, rather than because it was infringing?)
  • edited 2015-12-06 13:25:40
    "Our ranking is based on a ten-point scoring system called the playscore.  It combines all the reviews given by trusted critics and gamers."

I just want your simple top ten list based on your opinion, damnit

(source: youtube.com/watch?v=vIC3PIpu6Cw )

Also, this video didn't introduce me to any games I hadn't heard of before (except for Inazuma Eleven and SMT 4).  I'm disappointed.
    Yeah, I know, that wasn't necessarily the point of the video.  Doesn't prevent me from feeling disappointed.

Look, I just want some random other shit to show up.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-06 18:39:23
    I feel like I'd have more problem with longsword guys if I saw them more often.  It's difficult enough to use that I just don't see it much yet/anymore.  Maybe they're sparse in HR?

Though they're usually the ones that after the monster dies they start spamming their bigass spirit combo on the corpse while everyone's carving.  Assholes.
  • edited 2015-12-07 12:08:31
    Apparently this is a better game than I thought it was, at least once you know what the boss order is and have a feel for the stupid shit the stages throw at you.

"Quit talking and give me the shield."

It's still got irritatingly designed levels though.

Though it certainly gets points for Roll sassing the hell out of everyone else in the game.
  • Am I the only one who find it amusing that one of her item select commands appears to be "put out"?
    Bee wrote: »
    Am I the only one who find it amusing that one of her item select commands appears to be "put out"?

I thought of the Nanoha series devices saying this rather iconically in the first season, but other than that, not really.
    Suddenly thinking of Cave Story after looking it up recently.

I remember noting that I felt it wasn't sufficiently interconnected to be considered a castletroid metroidvania.  Which is not a strike against the game, but just a feature of classification criteria.

So, just thinking back through it...

Egg Corridor is connected to Outer Wall is connected to Plantation is connected to Last Cave is connected to Balcony is connected to Sacred Grounds

Sand Zone is connected to Labyrinth is connected to the other part of the Labyrinth is connected to Core is connected to Waterway is connected to Mimiga Village which we knew is connected to First Cave and Graveyard

Is there any connection between these two chunks?

And what about Grasstown?

Not that any such connection would change my saying it's not interconnected enough to be a metroidvania because interconnectedness refers to having multiple connections between areas rather than just going through them like levels, and in general sort of darting between them pretty frequently.

But I'm just curious about how the island is put together.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    I'm so close to beating Camera Obscura (a puzzle-platformer I picked up as part of a <$1 bundle), but... ugh. Uggggh.

I want to like this game. I really do. The central concept (creating afterimages of walls and platforms to jump on) is interesting, and some of the ways it's used are pretty neat, but others are just... frustrating. A lot of the challenges require timing and precision, which your character really isn't well equipped for. In some of the later levels, a puzzle will require you to guide an enemy to a button you can't reach, which would be okay if said enemies' movement was reliable or consistent, which it's not.

Right now, I'm stuck on the penultimate level (8-2), which is an abomination. A dozen different puzzles to solve, with no real indication of progress, and the aforementioned "guide enemy to button" puzzles which can very easily be rendered unsolvable if your afterimages aren't positioned just right (a wall-crawling enemy popping off the wall and falling out of the level, or being crushed between two non-moving platforms). The only thing resembling a guide/walkthrough I've found basically says "yeah, no, don't even bother; here's a pixel-perfect trick that will let you skip a majority of the level, because that's somehow less of a hassle than the intended solution".

TL;DR, puzzle-platformer with finicky puzzles and finicky platforming.
  • edited 2015-12-21 15:16:57
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    MIND≒0 is a game that was fun in that it had lots of great dungeon exploration and fun, needlessly difficult battles.

But the plot... it's divided into two bits; the first half is just going around wondering what's going on, the second is going around to dungeons looking for the protagonists not-girlfriend who of course is super magically special (she can "reverse the polarity of MINDs", which is a thing said more than twice in actual dialogue).

Anyways, you go from dungeon to dungeon (occasionally meeting a mini boss with their own story) and in the finaliest (I have to put emphasis because there are like three fake-out ones) dungeon you defeat the main bad guy (who was trying to reverse the polarity of MINDs because this somehow brings people back to life and he wanted to bring his sister back to life even though literally anyone with eyes can tell that his MIND is his sister) and then... the protagonist's not-girlfriend is sucked into the void of MINDs anyways because her super-special powers obviously makes her irresistible to MINDs who want to make her their queen.

Like... what?

And to put icing on the cake you don't find out what even happens after she's sucked in, the police guy who you told about MINDs is killed before he can tell anyone else because the government somehow found out and one of the mini bosses is evil and working for somebody or other but like all of this matters anyways the game ended and will never, ever get a sequel.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-22 03:46:02
    Just finished the second "story" in Monster Hunter 4.  Kushala Daora was ridiculously easy compared to how much it got hyped up, and nowhere near as much of a pain in the ass as playing 15 minutes of tag with Shagaru.

I basically ignored the artillery and just got up in its grill until they told me to blow it away with the super cannon.
    Kushala Daora can kiss my arse. Outside of that arena, it's nothing but trouble. 
  • I guess it would be harder when Ace Gunner isn't around to poison it out of that shield.
    That's the catch. Kushala really demands that you have some way around that. Trying to solo that fight with a generalised build is a great way to waste 50 minutes and a bunch of resources, which is what I really dislike about it. Most hunts are doable with some skill and elbow grease, but Kushala uniquely requires poison, wind resistance, or a consistent source of mounting attacks. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-22 06:47:42
    The fight itself is easy enough at least.  Or maybe the rhythm of it just lends itself VERY easily to greatsword.  I just did the fight a couple minutes ago as a guild advanced and the wind seemed to let up long enough for me to do an upswing pretty often.  I think I got hit once the entire time, when I had to refresh my drink.

Then again, we did have an IG pouncing him pretty often.
    That much is true. Kushala isn't very threatening without their shield. Great Sword's probably a more reasonable choice, too, given that it minimises the time you're exposed to wind effects via Crit Draw.