If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Generalisisisísimo

The best things about this word are that they contain both "ISIS" and "SISI".
  • edited 2015-07-08 22:51:09
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So I went to a cinema. Left thinking I'd like to see TVT entry for the film, except there will be none 'cause it's too local.

Pretty much a conspiracy thriller, I'm saying "pretty much" because I'm used to conspiracy thrillers being an American thing. You know, most examples I can think of, all of them perhaps, involve some random poor schmuck getting entangled in a big conspiracy that he outsmarts at the end. Now, this one was about the agents of the conspiracy, who at the end find out they were outsmarted by someone they don't even know, except they were offing random poor schmucks. At first it looks (to characters and the viewers) like going rogue to safeguard the country against stupid politicians, but then their methods grow ever nastier, and in the end, that. Needless to say, no happy ending. Another fun fact is that almost all the elements of the plot were, in TVT parlance, ripped from the headlines (the characters were behind all those weird suicides). Imagine a 60's era spy film in which the protagonists off Kennedy and pin the blame on Lee Harvey Oswald, would be acceptably close.

...you know, that ended up longer and more about the film itself than I intended. Should I repost it in the Film Club thread?

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So, my bro the little blackshirt finally got admitted to that military academy he wanted to get in. Along the way he met Amnesty International fundraiser. Told the guy he intends to shoot towelheads, not release them.
  • Try to convince him ISIS was created by the Mossad and that muslims aren't a problem in Poland anyway, while the tentacles of cultural marxism are everywhere, just to see if he bites. 
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Told me he'll think on it.
  • Yessshh, excellent. Those conspiracy theories are so much more fun since you can basically turn anything into a sign of it. I once read a post about how duckface encourages ideals of black beauty because they have bigger lips or something. It's a blast. 
    Sure, there's the crazy everywhere. It's just... I doubt it's so easy to play mind games with conspiracy theorists. I mean, in my limited personal experience it is often so that the conspiracy theorist is not "a seeker of truth" or something of that sort as they like to present themselves - you'd be trying to replace his pet theory with your own theory, rather than pulling his theory in a direction of your choosing. At least, I would expect plenty of this kind of difficulties.
  • My microwave oven just broke down, apparently I overheat it. And I thought making pop corn would be cheap. I don't think I can affrord another one, so if whatever it has can't be repaired easily, I'm out of luck, I use it for everything.
  • edited 2015-07-23 23:29:52
    I wonder what Myr would say about this.
    So apparently, in Spanish, tasks do in fact do themselves.  When these tasks are expressed in passive voice, that is.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    La tarea se hizó...Yeah, it is true.
  • And missions accomplish themselves, and vases break themselves, and houses burn themselves down.
    Glenn, I've noticed you've been talking about Spanish stuff. Are you interested in it? Are you intending to learn it?
  • edited 2015-07-24 22:37:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Having to translate some documents for my research use.

I really should learn Spanish, though.
  • Well, you should! Expecially if you're going to be using it anyways.
  • edited 2015-07-25 09:32:02
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I am gradually becoming a "speeaboo" already, considering that I do already consider dishes centered around rice and beans to be better than once centered around burgers and fries. Also opining that the best language for fandubs of anisongs is Spanish.

Also, is it true that the difference between essence and state linking verbs (ser vs. estar) means that I can't joke that refrigerators are cold, but this refrigerator is not cold, therefore it is not a refrigerator?
  • You'd be using different words, but the joke remains intact. "Las neveras son frías, pero esta nevera no está fría, por lo que no es una nevera."

If you ever get around learning Spanish, can I help?

On unrelated news, apparently the computer world doesn't have an easy way to plot vectors that don't start at the origin. Even in MatLab it's messy.
  • Heavy storm, trees are kill errywhere, a sign got blown clean off its handle. 
    If you ever get around learning Spanish, can I help?

Sure.

Got another question for you already.  What is a suitable translation for "por cuanto"?  When it sets off a dependent clause, for example.

Heavy storm, trees are kill errywhere, a sign got blown clean off its handle. 

Where are you again, Ireland?
  • *Googles 'dependent clause'*

uhhh, can I get an example sentence? If I understood you right, It's a somewhat archaic-sounding so/since/hence  ("He had nothing to wear so he didn't go to the party" -> "No tenía qué vestir por cuanto no fue a la fiesta").

More commonly, it's often okay to translate it as "[for] how much" ("how much can I sell this for?" "por cuanto puedo vender esto?")

• edited 2015-07-25 19:12:19
    Diet NEET
    I'm Dutch, though given the boozing the mistake is understandable. 
    *Googles 'dependent clause'*

uhhh, can I get an example sentence? If I understood you right, It's a somewhat archaic-sounding so/since/hence  ("He had nothing to wear so he didn't go to the party" -> "No tenía qué vestir por cuanto no fue a la fiesta").

More commonly, it's often okay to translate it as "[for] how much" ("how much can I sell this for?" "por cuanto puedo vender esto?")

e.g.

"Los servicios ambientales se producen en conjunto en un mismo bosque, esto por cuanto se puede secuestrar carbono y a la vez conservar altos niveles de biodiversidad, así como también suplir indirectamente el servicio de protección de la calidad del agua."

"No obstante se espera que la aplicación de este modelo econométrico subestime a nivel nacional el efecto del PSA sobre la deforestación.  Esto por cuanto se contabilizaron solamente aquellas áreas debidamente pagadas por servicios ambientales, esto por cuanto se desconocía el área total de las listas de espera para recibir el PSA."

"Aquellas cuencas donde no se encontraba un hábitat dominante fueron clasificadas como de alta prioridad de conservación por cuanto se consideran áreas de alta heterogeneidad."

I had tried looking that phrase up on Wiktionary, which has some phrases, but not this one.
  • "Nonetheless it's expected that the application of this econometric model understimates at a national level the PSA's effect on deforestation. This is since only those areas properly paid for by environmental services were accounted for, this is since the total area of the waiting lists to receive the PSA was unknown."

"Those basins where no dominant habitat was found were classified as high conservation priority since they're considered areas of high heterogeneity."
    Do you guys too, when you type a password, try not to repeat it in your mind as you type, just in case somebody was reading your thoughts? 'Cause I've been catching myself at that recently. Well, what can I say. Better safe than sorry.
  • When I was a kid I used to get nervous feeling that people I was talking to could read my mind, so I'd try not to think about embarassing things (and thus ended up thinking about them) and would get all awkward about it.
    I don't think I actually thought people could read my mind, but the nagging feeling was there.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I always try to keep in mind that people who could read minds (if they existed) would have to /really/ want your password (or whatever) considering inner dialogue can be both unbelievably gross and insanely banal at the same time and you never know when somebody switches from thinking about their password to other things.

Also most of my passwords become so instinctive I barely think about them before typing them in.
  • lrdgck wrote: »
    Do you guys too, when you type a password, try not to repeat it in your mind as you type, just in case somebody was reading your thoughts? 'Cause I've been catching myself at that recently. Well, what can I say. Better safe than sorry.

what
    OH NO YOU'RE ONE OF THEM
    @Stormtroper:

Estado actual del sistema de información forestal en Estado a del Información Forestal en Costa Rica

1. Is "Estado" more properly "state" or "status"?  Though I guess the two aren't that far apart in meaning.
    2. Why is it "Estado a del" rather than "Estado del"?
  • edited 2015-07-30 20:57:06
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    estado a del seems a grammatically incorrect construccion to me.

Estado the word means status and state.  In your quote "estado actual" means "current status" tho.
    Thanks!