If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ¿Es Cirno un hada "de hielo", o "del hielo", y por qué?
  • edited 2015-07-31 02:36:47
    Es un hada de hielo, porque... no estoy seguro, así es la expresión. Creo que es porque "hielo" se refiere a lo que ella "es", no al concepto de hielo como tal (por ejemplo, una estatua sería "estatua de piedra", pero en el caso de Zeus sería "dios del trueno").
    In case a translation is necessary: She's an "hada de hielo" because... I'm not sure. That's how the expression goes. I think it's because "hielo" refers to what she "is", not the concept of ice as such (for example, a statue would be "estatua de piedra", but in Zeus' case he'd be "dios del trueno"),
  • edited 2015-07-31 07:16:38
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Creo que comprendo.  ¡Gracias!  (is "Creo que comprendo" a correct construction?")

No obstante esto es divertido...

De acuerdo a Touhou Español (Wikia por Touhou en español), Cirno es un "hada del hielo", sino que de acuerdo a Wikipedia española, su raza es "hada de hielo".

(what's the correct choice of "but" in that sentence?)
    (and what gender adjective does a neuter pronoun take?  Google Translate spat out feminine at me, but another page I found used masculine, which sounds nicer because of ending vowel agreement)
  • edited 2015-07-31 10:34:48
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Creo que comprendo is a correct construction, yes.

It's preference mostly in wether to use "Hada de hielo" or "Hada del hielo" or even the relative unused "Hada helada". But people tend to use "Hada de hielo" over the others, because "de hielo" is an adjective while "del hielo" is a noun.

Hada de hielo=Ice fairy
    Hada del hielo=Fairy of ice
    Hada helada=frozen fairy
  • edited 2015-07-31 10:57:15
    (what's the correct choice of "but" in that sentence?)
    "pero", "...Cirno es un "hada del hielo", pero de acuerdo a Wikipedia española..."
    (and what gender adjective does a neuter pronoun take?  Google Translate spat out feminine at me, but another page I found used masculine, which sounds nicer because of ending vowel agreement)
    You use whatever gender the referred noun is. "Yo soy feo", "yo soy fea", etc.
  • edited 2015-07-31 17:56:01
    Well in that case I was referring to the whatever-it-was-that-was-happening.

I was trying to translate the phrase "Though this is amusing..." as in "this thought" or "this observation".

vandro wrote: »
    Hada del hielo=Fairy of ice

YO SOY MAGNETO, MAESTRO DEL IMÁN.

(i could have used "me llamo magneto" but for some reason it just feels more appropriate -- in a stupid, hammy way -- to have it as "yo soy".  it's not like "master of magnet" is proper normal english anyway.)
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    The translation usually goes for 

YO SOY MAGNETO. EL AMO DEL MAGNETISMO.
    Haha I guessed right.  Half-right at least.

But why amo instead of maestro?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I'll just say, when I learned "Bat Man" is "el Hombre Murcielago" in Spanish, I began to imagine some sort of Spanish Batman with a toreador hat atop the bat ears cap, with a Spanish mustache. Feels weirdly recursive, now that I recall that Batman was inspired by Zorro.

Maestro means teacher. Amo means master.
  • edited 2015-08-02 06:52:57
    vandro wrote: »
    Maestro means teacher. Amo means master.

Oh, I was thinking of it as "mastering the art of magnet", as opposed to "I control magnets".  Makes sense now.

And I guess the other quote is probably "BIENVENIDOS...¡A MUERAN!"?  Kinda depends on whether the "DIE" is interpreted as an imperative or something else -- it's not like it's clear in the original anyway.  I guess the likely choices are imperative, infinitive, or second person present indicative...
  • "Maestro" does also mean "master", though.
    "BIENVENIDOS...¡A MUERAN!" is the closes you can get, I guess.
  • edited 2015-08-03 14:35:50
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

(edit reason: on second thought, removed because stupid.)

"Maestro" does also mean "master", though.
    "BIENVENIDOS...¡A MUERAN!" is the closes you can get, I guess.

I looked them both up in Wiktionary and it seems that "amo" has more of an implication of a "master/servant" relationship and "maestro" has more of an implication of "skill mastery" (a la a musician, a martial artist, etc.).  Is this correct?
  • Those are the connotations. Yeah.
  • edited 2015-08-03 20:25:49
    boogie at 2:00

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Do you know of any fantasy story set in late XVIIIth or early XIXth Century American frontier, real or fantasy counterpart? Tales of Alvin Maker and Sleepy Hollow don't count, I already know of 'em.
  • That Lovecraft story, The Curse of Yig comes to mind.

Maaaybe that's not whaat you're looking for.

Ah yes, Lovecraft. Lovecraft is kind of horror, but genre boundaries tend to be fluid, so I guess it counts. In the first place I was curious about fantasy settings inspired by this kind of Americana, but real America is just as fine. I'd say it's a first-among-equals kind of preference. There's a lot of historical settings that just ask to be retold in fantasy form, in this case I took an interest in a relatively unknown part of American history.

Oh, and if any of you were interested, there's a webcomic Snow By Night. Fantasy Quebec from when it was still French.

I've started reading that comic yes. Pretty cool.
  • edited 2015-08-06 05:33:52
    Since 1950s, as General Headquarters of the Allied Forces introduced
    folk dance to the educational program for Japanese children, almost all
    Japanese have danced Mayim Mayim in gym class or athletic events in
    their school days. Therefore, they are very familiar to this song and it
    is frequently cited to Japanese pop culture as all well-known music.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mayim-mayim

This explains why it randomly showed up in--

...okay, actually, come to think of it, it's just about equally as random as anything else that shows up in the Parodius soundtracks.

It might explain its popularity for remixing, though.
  • edited 2015-08-06 20:23:32
    In case anyone remembers the "safety not guaranteed" meme:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/silveira125.html

The author tells the truth about it.  It's a good read.

Also, apparently there's a movie made based on the meme and it's Actually Pretty Good.
    Today has been a good day, for I made a first step towards rugged individualism by starting a fire using that flint and steel stuff. Bought it on the 'Net. By the way, being in a forest looked more appealing back when I was a kid, for some reason.
    Weird Spanish thing of the moment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voseo
  • edited 2015-08-10 02:19:27
    Ugh, so many of the lesser-known articles on Costa Rica on Wikipedia are poorly-written.  Like these, which are mildly informative but read more like travel brochures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Teresa,_Costa_Rica (complete with advert links)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malpais,_Costa_Rica

I am tempted to throw a stub tag on the first article just so that i'll get some more attention.  Though the talk page already says it's identified as a stub-class article.
  • edited 2015-08-10 02:39:31
    Looking at Katy Perry's poster for Prismatic makes me think of ELISA's song Realism, for some reason.

I think it's the dress.  And the "ism".
  • Aww FUCK! I stepped on my lucky mechanical pencil and broke it. I've had it for something like seven years, never failed me once, even though I bought it cheapass from a bus vendor.
    I wonder if I can glue it...
  • edited 2015-08-11 15:28:54
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Since we don't have a general music discussion thread (and we shouldn't because it'd just be me rambling about GLORIOUS NIPPON) I'll just post this here:

So I was thinking about the next Kingdom Hearts game in the morning and how it'd probably have a new opening theme performed by somebody who wasn't Utada. Thinking over all the active musicians who are still fluent in English I came up with two alternatives who'd probably work; Crystal Kay and May J. . I personally think Crystal would work better, so that's who I'm betting on.

And later today I discovered that Crystal Kay's new single is a collaboration with Amuro Namie (who is like, one of the biggest deals in Japanese music that doesn't involve idols right now, compared to Crystal Kay whose popularity waned long ago and just finished a sabbatical trying to make it in the USA). I actually can't wait to hear it, considering Crystal Kay's last single was pretty spiffy (The B-side being the best) and _genic (Namie's new album) was really fun-slash-catchy.

The interesting thing is that on one of the covers (and the artist image) Namie overshadows Crystal Kay and it's supposed to be like... her single

Also clearly this is the beginning of the IRL version of Symphogear (blue girl who wishes to make it on an international stage and... a red one).
    A general music discussion thread would probably be me posting about music theory, you posting about J-music show-biz developments and rumours, and everyone else posting a miscellany of ttacks that they like.
    CRAP!

I hit "Mark all viewed" by accident.

dangit.wav

dagnabbit.wav